*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Comments

• So it seems the problem is the speed winning.

So why not rectify the problems by eliminating boosts?

Because without boosts, Sentry/Hood is still the fastest, most-efficient tactic. Again, 10k per character for 15 AP. You can't beat that, and that's not even considering that it's two different colors, makin it easier to get the needed AP. With Boosts, it's ****; without boosts, it's merely stupid.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, because boosts make the game more fun to play in other situations and shouldn't be removed just to avoid balancing the most broken character we have.
  • I'm just saying Sentry on defense isn't great, especially with a squishy Hood or a Daken whose CR eliminates strike tiles.
    No you're saying that Sentry isn't over powered and doesn't need a nerf. Patchneto was good on offense but horrible on defense because the AI didn't know how to use Magneto's blue for infinite turns. Sentry on defense has no such issues, and once World Rupture goes off once, the cascades can easily generate enough AP for another go, and quickly wear down a team even without sacrifice.
    I agree it's a powerful move. But 10 moves in is not a speedy win.
    Isn't it? Apply that logic to other characters. How many teams can you think of that can do that, a 10 turn win, guaranteed? Not many I bet.
    When you play Sentry+Hood or Sentry+Daken without the boosts you face a different situation. Many people use Hulk as a defensive player. Daken's strike tiles aren't enough to down Hulk with one WR. Even with Sacrifice it may not be enough to down him and you have to worry about Anger.
    A beat up Hulk with two dead teammates isn't likely to take down Sentry Hood Daken by himself even with 30 green, not to mention your team will be destroyed after the match.
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Also, because boosts make the game more fun to play in other situations and shouldn't be removed just to avoid balancing the most broken character we have.

You're right, and I completely agree.
  • BillyBobJoe
    You're right on the first two.
    Dantekamar wrote:
    A beat up Hulk with two dead teammates isn't likely to take down Sentry Hood Daken by himself even with 30 green, not to mention your team will be destroyed after the match.

This I would contend with. A Hulk with level 5 Anger, and 8-10 Anger tiles on the board will do quite a bit of critical damage before he begins cascading with Thunderous Clap for 3 turns.

But yes, by the time WR goes off Hulk will have been crippled. The question is can you survive the onslaught before you finish Hulk.
  • BillyBobJoe
    I feel that the cascade issue is a bonus. It's completely conditional and therefore cannot be relied on. Sort of like how everyone had a CMags at 5/5/3 and Magnetic Translocation was sort of a bonus if you had the purple AP.

But yes, with a Sentry Strike tile, each cascade does over 700 extra damage. I can agree on that.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    You're right on the first two.
    Dantekamar wrote:

This I would contend with. A Hulk with level 5 Anger, and 8-10 Anger tiles on the board will do quite a bit of critical damage before he begins cascading with Thunderous Clap for 3 turns.

But yes, by the time WR goes off Hulk will have been crippled. The question is can you survive the onslaught before you finish Hulk.

I cannot think of a time that Hulk has beaten my Sentry on a shield hop since I got Sentry to 3/5/5 - the only combo I have lost to in memory on a Sentry shield hop since then is Hood / Sentry. Frankly I will chew up and spit out Hulk on a shield hop and say thanks for the easy points. The fact that the only threatening team to Sentry is Sentry / Hood seems pretty contrary to the alleged objective of roster diversity
  • BillyBobJoe
    IlDuderino wrote:
    Frankly I will chew up and spit out Hulk on a shield hop and say thanks for the easy points.

Bad cascades happen all the time, and throw off anyone's game.
    IlDuderino wrote:
    The fact that the only threatening team to Sentry is Sentry / Hood seems pretty contrary to the alleged objective of roster diversity
    Kappei wrote:
    Our problem with Sentry is that he's monopolizing the metagame.

If team diversity is the issue, then why are people always using the same character for defense? Hulk, Thor, Sentry, and even Ares at the 2 star level are usually what I see at higher point values. You never see Falcon, GSBW, Storm, or *gasp* Loki. Spider-Man makes an appearance every now and then, but for the most part people are playing the high health/high damage characters. Everybody started pumping ISO into X-Force when he was reworked. I see him everywhere now.
  • IlDuderino
    If team diversity is the issue, then why are people always using the same character for defense? Hulk, Thor, Sentry, and even Ares at the 2 star level are usually what I see at higher point values. You never see Falcon, GSBW, Storm, or *gasp* Loki. Spider-Man makes an appearance every now and then, but for the most part people are playing the high health/high damage characters. Everybody started pumping ISO into X-Force when he was reworked. I see him everywhere now.

From the above I take it we are in agreement that Sentry's current overpowered status is bad for roster diversity because you see him all the time on both on attack and defence at high levels in PvP. This is because Sentry is disproportionally overpowered compared to other characters, which supports the argument for a Sentry nerf. Or have I misunderstood?
  • The issue really is that World Rupture provides 16 AOE strikes which are each multiplied by strike tiles, never minding cascade effects. Just make them go off all at once like Demolition and problem is solved. Change the description from:
    "Creates Countdown tiles that do 24 damage to enemies and 12 to allies."

"Creates countdown tiles that detonate simultaneously, doing 24 damage to enemies and 12 to allies for each tile destroyed."

No other character creates that many differentiated attacks, and for only 7 AP, never minding the AOE effect.
  • BillyBobJoe
    It seems to me that his Strike tile is OP. WR by itself, or with someone else's strike tiles (Punisher, Daken, Psylocke, etc) would probably generate more reasonable damage. If the damage is the only problem, then reduce or remove the Sacrifice ability.

I don't care either way if the Devs change Sentry or not. They will do whatever they see fit. Generally, I feel the changes to characters have been sufficient (with the exception of Rags. I feel he got nerfed too far. But I understand why they did it in the first place.)

I'm arguing devil's advocate for Sentry. I just don't see the reason for all the uproar. I think OBW is overpowered. She could compete with many 3*, although you'd be a huge target on defense. Sentry as a whole isn't overpowered, I think it's his strike tile for 674 is way too high. It makes any and all attacks lethal. In Balance of Power and Combined Arms, OBW Espionage + that strike tile eliminated everyone.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems to me that his Strike tile is OP. WR by itself, or with someone else's strike tiles (Punisher, Daken, Psylocke, etc) would probably generate more reasonable damage. If the damage is the only problem, then reduce or remove the Sacrifice ability.

I don't care either way if the Devs change Sentry or not. They will do whatever they see fit. Generally, I feel the changes to characters have been sufficient (with the exception of Rags. I feel he got nerfed too far. But I understand why they did it in the first place.)

I'm arguing devil's advocate for Sentry. I just don't see the reason for all the uproar. I think OBW is overpowered. She could compete with many 3*, although you'd be a huge target on defense. Sentry as a whole isn't overpowered, I think it's his strike tile for 674 is way too high. It makes any and all attacks lethal. In Balance of Power and Combined Arms, OBW Espionage + that strike tile eliminated everyone.

I think you're looking at the powers way too much in a vacuum. If character A had a power that said: "8AP: Does literally nothing" and character B had a power that said "7AP: Deal 2k damage to the enemy, unless you casted character A's power, in which case kill the entire enemy team", would you consider that imbalanced? I think you just greatly underestimate how ridiculous world rupture is, because the synergy with strike tiles causes the ability to be way too degenerate.

Again, Sentry kills THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM for 8 yellow and 7 green. There is literally no combination of abilities in the game that can do this with this level of efficiency. Boosts exacerbate the problem, but the root of everything is that no other set of abilities can deal 40k damage for 14AP (except super whales on a technicality). How could anyone consider that anything but imbalanced?
  • World Rupture's problem is compounded by the game's lack of balance on strike tiles. After playing the She-Hulk event I'm convinced the game believes Psylocke is the best strike tile user in the game because that's the only character Settlement would put you ahead when using an ability specifically designed to remove strike tiles. If Psylocke is indeed the strongest strike tile generator in the game, WR would still be quite overpowered but it at least won't be ending any games, but of course this view has nothing to do with reality. I understand you can't test for everything, but it's like nobody on D3 even noticed that Sentry is one of the best strike tile generator in the game while having the best ability to go with strike tiles.
  • I don't see how sentry is a problem.

He makes people buy more HP for shields, 1+ to all AP boosts and health packs.

I have never spent so much on HP for PVP events to reach +1500 scores before I was able to max out Sentry and Hood to shield hop.

Sentry and Hood combo is only good for shield hopping, good luck using them as your main team as they will rarely last more than 2 pvp matches, they are even worse if you don't boost.
  • NorthernPolarity
    kthunder wrote:
    I don't see how sentry is a problem.

I have never spent so much on HP for PVP events to reach +1500 scores before I was able to max out Sentry and Hood to shield hop.

Sentry and Hood combo is only good for shield hopping, good luck using them as your main team as they will rarely last more than 2 pvp matches, they are even worse if you don't boost.

By that logic, a character that said "0AP: win the game, but all your characters die as well" is totally balanced, right?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    kthunder wrote:
    I don't see how sentry is a problem.

I am able to reach 1500 with 2-3 shields, maybe 1 if lucky (1 to 1400, unshield at the end and get 100 points in 2 fights), provided I have a maxed featured that works decently enough as a deterrent and doesn't screw Sentry/XF on defense badly (looking at you, Beast and Mohawk). No need to spend on HP boosts either, I only try to use them once or twice per event, never ever buy them or healthpacks and do most of my hops with ISO boosts only (3 green/black, 3 red/yellow, no maxed Intimidation). Of course I'm going to somewhat miss being able to go for 1500 scores easily enough, but rewards - ta da! - stop at 1300, and it would actually be a good thing if 1st places could still be won with that kind of score and not 1600-2000.
  • Xiltyn
    Xiltyn Posts: 61 Match Maker
    flnn1 wrote:
    The short answer: Yes, you are.

Haha. Yes. Great answer.

It's not that I think Sentry isn't powerful, but my contention is that he's balanced. WR has a low AP cost due to the negative effects of the ability; team damage. Same with Supernova. 11 AP is cheaper, and maybe more powerful, than 14 AP Call the Storm. But the negative effects, team damage, reduce the cost of it.

I think most people are upset due the the boosting bonus at the start of the match making it a quick win.
    Just to put this in a little perspective. I ran a little experiment with Sentry during the last Hulk PvP event. My team selection was Sentry covered 3/5/5 at level 166, the loaner Hulk 1/0/0 level 60, Modern Black Widow 1/0 level 1. Only abilities I used during matches were World Rupture and Sacrifice. I played 20 matches with this set-up, and never lost. The longest match I had this way was 15 turns. Then I played another 20 matches with the same team using boosts +3all, +3r/y, +3g/b. This time longest match I had was 6 turns, still never lost. Yes, defensively that team was destroyed, but who cares about defense when you shield? Offensively though, Sentry is simply overpowered.

Now, take out that level 1 modern Widow and throw in a 166 Hood built 3/5/5 with boosts and it looks something like this.

Turn 1: green match
    Turn 2: yellow or black match
    Turn 3: cast World Rupture, match color you didn't choose on turn 2
    Turn 4: cast Sacrifice, cast Intimidation, win
    It's really that easy. Even a maxed featured Hulk will go down if you have him as your target when you use Intimidation.
  • BillyBobJoe
    edited October 2014
    Phantron wrote:
    but it's like nobody on D3 even noticed that Sentry is one of the best strike tile generator in the game while having the best ability to go with strike tiles.

I totally agree with this statement. Which is why only Sacrifice is OP.
    I think you're looking at the powers way too much in a vacuum.

X-Force, 8 AP, 3441 Damage + cascade
    Demolition, 10 AP, 10535 Damage (conditional)
    Smite, 10 AP, 3409 + 725 per Charged tile Damage (conditional)
    Prehistoric Bite/Chomp, 7 AP, 2512 Damage

Rage of the Panther, 12 AP, 3708 AOE Damage
    Sniper Rifle, 19 AP, 3912 AOE Damage + tile/cascade damage
    Star Spangled Avenger, 11 AP, 4031 Damage + 10AP CD
    Hypersonic Punch, 9 AP, 2504 Damage + stun
    Colossal Punch, 11 AP, 2610 Target Damage + 1044 AOE (conditional)
    Chemical Reaction, 5 AP, 2774 Damage (conditional)
    Ambush, 7 AP, 9040 Damage (conditional)

Whales Whales Whales, 14 AP, 4069 AOE Damage
    Summon Demons, 12 AP, 1110 Damage per turn (conditional)
    Fireball, 8 AP, 3390 Damage + 2 red tiles
    Unibeam, 13 AP, 3559 Damage
    Ballistic Salvo, 20 AP, 2669 AOE Damage + stun
    Polarizing Force, 8 AP, 261 per TU tile (? Damage) (conditional)
    Magnetic Projectiles, 10 AP, 4991 Damage
    Thunderclap, 6 AP, 1175 Damage + creates 2 green tiles
    Supernova, 11 AP,
    Power of Attorney, 9 AP, 1401 AOE Damage + cascade
    Hailstorm, 9 AP, 1248 Damage a turn (conditional)
    Smash, 14 Red AP + 30 Green AP, 6400 Damage
    Retribution, 8 AP, Instant Kill (conditional) (4590 damage for Hulk at 40%, 2040 damage for Storm/Hood at 40%
    Thunderstrike, 12 AP, 2486 Damage + creates 9 green tiles
    Call the Storm 14 AP, 4518 Target + 2259 AOE Damage
    Beserker Rage, 9 AP, 2087 Damage + 6*148 Strike tiles

World Rupture, 7 AP, 174(+strike tile) per CD to enemies, 54 per CD to teammates (conditional)
    Sacrifice, 8 AP, 674 Strike Tile

Let's say WR goes off without a Strike tile, AND you get all 16 to go off (unlikely) then WR is only doing 2784 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Daken strike tiles (3 green matches for WR) (assume 16 tiles), WR does 7200 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 BP strike tiles, WR does 11184 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Psylocke strike tile, then WR does 6400 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 Punisher strike tiles, then WR does 8640 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Patch strike tiles, then WR does 16992 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Sacrifice tile, then WR does 13568 AOE Damage

Let's say you get 12 WR CD to ignite (75% of CD tiles deployed)
    W/O strike tiles = 2088
    Daken (6 tiles) = 5400
    BP (3 tiles) = 8388
    Psylocke (1 tile) = 4800
    Punisher (3 tiles) = 6480
    Patch (6 tiles) = 12744
    Sacrifice = 10176

I'll give you 75% of the CD will ignite because Special tiles and Teamup tiles do not become WR CD tiles. Also in 1 or 2 moves the AI will match some CD tiles.

Looking at the 75% damage list (Punisher and Patch strike tiles are unlikely due to the fact they require green AP), it looks about right the amount of damage WR makes in comparison to other powerhouse abilities. Rage of Panther, Whales Whales, Whales, and Call the Storm all do similar damage.

WR becomes a 4* ability, hello Demolition and Smite, when combined with the Sacrifice strike tile. So I will admit that Sacrifice is overpowered only.
  • IlDuderino
    Phantron wrote:
    but it's like nobody on D3 even noticed that Sentry is one of the best strike tile generator in the game while having the best ability to go with strike tiles.

Supernova, 11 AP,
    Retribution, 8 AP, Instant Kill (conditional) (4590 damage for Hulk at 40%, 2040 damage for Storm/Hood at 40%

World Rupture, 7 AP, 148(+strike tile) per CD to enemies, 54 per CD to teammates (conditional)

Let's say WR goes off without a Strike tile, AND you get all 16 to go off (unlikely) then WR is only doing 2368 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Daken strike tiles (3 green matches for WR) (assume 16 tiles), WR does 6784 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 BP strike tiles, WR does 5168 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Psylocke strike tile, then WR does 5984 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 Punisher strike tiles, then WR does 8224 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Patch strike tiles, then WR does 16576 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Sacrifice tile, then WR does 13152 AOE Damage

W/O strike tiles = 1776
    Daken (6 tiles) = 2328
    BP (3 tiles) = 3876
    Psylocke (1 tile) = 4488
    Punisher (3 tiles) = 6168
    Patch (6 tiles) = 12432
    Sacrifice = 9864

I'll give you 75% of the CD will ignite because Special tiles and Teamup tiles do not become WR CD tiles. Also in 1 or 2 moves the AI will match some CD tiles.

Looking at the 75% damage list (Punisher and Patch strike tiles are unlikely due to the fact they require green AP), it looks about right the amount of damage WR makes in comparison to other powerhouse abilities. Rage of Panther, Whales Whales, Whales, and Call the Storm all do similar damage.

WR becomes a 4* ability, hello Demolition and Smite, when combined with the Sacrifice strike tile. So I will admit that Sacrifice is overpowered only.

So you agree he needs a nerf?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Phantron wrote:

Supernova, 11 AP,

World Rupture, 7 AP, 148(+strike tile) per CD to enemies, 54 per CD to teammates (conditional)

Let's say WR goes off without a Strike tile, AND you get all 16 to go off (unlikely) then WR is only doing 2368 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Daken strike tiles (3 green matches for WR) (assume 16 tiles), WR does 6784 AOE Damage.
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 BP strike tiles, WR does 5168 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Psylocke strike tile, then WR does 5984 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 3 Punisher strike tiles, then WR does 8224 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 6 Patch strike tiles, then WR does 16576 AOE Damage
    Let's say WR goes off w/ 1 Sacrifice tile, then WR does 13152 AOE Damage

W/O strike tiles = 1776
    Daken (6 tiles) = 2328
    BP (3 tiles) = 3876
    Psylocke (1 tile) = 4488
    Punisher (3 tiles) = 6168
    Patch (6 tiles) = 12432
    Sacrifice = 9864

Your math is very off. For the most prominent examples.
    6 Daken tiles = 46 * 6 = 276 strike tiles. 75% tile WR damage = 12 tiles * (174+276) = 5.4k damage to each member of the enemy team. For 7 green AP.
    3 BP tiles = 525 strike tile damage. 75% tile WR damage = 12 tiles * (174+525) = 8.3k damage to each member of the enemy team, for 7 green AP and 9 yellow AP (which is significantly less than say 14 green AP because of how the board tends to dry up colors).

This gives us 5.4k damage to EACH member of the enemy team for 7 green AP, and 8.3k damage to each member of the enemy team for 7 green AP and 9 yellow AP, which is what, 100% more efficient than something like rage of the panther?

Demolition is a conditional 10k damage to the enemy team for 10AP, which is 33% weaker than Daken fueled WR for 7ap.
    Demolition is also 50% weaker than battleplan + sentry for 7 green and 9 yellow AP, which probably comes out to around 12 AP of a single color if you want to rush the colors.

Sacrifice exacerbates the problem, but it's impossible to deny how much of an enabler WR is. Even if you wanted to completely get RID of sacrifice, WR is still ridiculous enough to warrant nerfing.