**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Comments

• Unknown
    edited March 2015
    I got my first Prof X cover as the 1k prog. From that point the PVP defaulted to my 0/1/0 Prof X vs. the loaner 1/0/0 Prof X.

Needless to say, I was underwhelmed when I excitedly first cast his one active power and he turned invisible, proceeded to sit in the back ground and do absolutely nothing additional to assist my other two team mates, squandering 7 perfectly useful purple AP, and offer moral support . "I'll be right behind you every step of the way X-men!"

It reminds me of the movie Karate Kid 2, where Mr. Miyagi (another professor, ironically) instructs Daniel-san, "Best block, no be there". Only, that Prof X only apparently only applies that lesson selfishly to himself...

They really should have the first purple cover do something, however trivial to support his team mates and not make Prof X look like a pompous elitist.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Yeah I'm firmly in the camp that says 5 blue is absolutely mandatory and by (very) far his best ability.

Every single time PX got a crit with 5 blue this pvp his team absolutely owned me. If he didn't, I only noticed he was even there if he got an invis tile in one of the corners and I had to slowly AoE him to death.

I'm not quite there, just because if you are playing PvP, you pretty much have to run him with GSBW in order to really get the match 5 combo thing going, I'm cemented in at least 4 there is no reason not to get that damage, but if you run GSBW I don't think you stand any chance in high PvP because you are a target to everyone. Unless you had Xor, most people would skip you if you were worth 35 points, vs. say someone with Daken/Patch at 35 points. You start running Xavier/GSBW and you are going to be opening yourself to lots of attacks.

Also, if you have a maxed featured character, you'll never get the combo to work because the featured main color will always take the AP from the match 5's so you won't be able to generate an infinite combo, unless the featured character is purple or blue so you could attempt GSBW or Mystique, and because I can't really guarentee the infinite combo thing, I'm willing to give up 2 AP and 300 dmg for a 4/5/4 build which is going to get me some crazy attack and defense tiles.
    You don't need any sort of combo for blue to be great. Even if it triggers once or twice a match it's still amazing.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Seems fine. I like powers that reward me for board skill and being able to see how to set up match 5s by baiting the AI into making a match on a color they need/making a match 4. Same reason that I love Hawkeye.

I don't think the complaints against him have a leg to stand on.
  • Thanks for the replies! Gotcha, I think I'll bump him his yellow and pink up to 5 covers each and try him out. Without a blue at the moment and playing PVE, and since he'll be my only 4 star, should I cap his level at the maximum level of my 3 stars too? ( I haven't maxed the level of my 3 stars yet since I've read about the scaling. My tops is level 114 for them hehe) I'm still fairly new so I appreciate the comments and suggestions icon_e_smile.gif!
  • Yea but without some kind of combo it won't trigger once or twice a match on average. Unless the board starts with a match 5 randomly on it odds are decent that you win before you get one. Plus who doesn't love combo abilities?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    People are just looking at points, not formations. I wasn't going to waste shields in the last PvP, and after I passed 1k, I ended up getting beat back down to 650. Seriously, how could it have been any worse if I'd been using GSBW instead of Xor?
    You don't want a team that's quick to beat. Makes you susceptible to snipes.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trisul wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    People are just looking at points, not formations. I wasn't going to waste shields in the last PvP, and after I passed 1k, I ended up getting beat back down to 650. Seriously, how could it have been any worse if I'd been using GSBW instead of Xor?
    You don't want a team that's quick to beat. Makes you susceptible to snipes.

agreed, I'm not saying you wouldn't get hit from running Xor pre-nerf, but what I'm saying is, you will have even more attacks if you are running something so squishy.

If I have featured, and maybe 5-6 3*s, even if you are worth 45 pts, I'm going to think twice about attacking pre-nerf Xor because while I can boost, it's going to take awhile, anyone with fully developed rosters would go after you, so now, if you are running Xavier/GSBW compared to Xor, maybe 50% or more that do see you, skip you because you are just too much for their roster, and the other 50% get you in their ques, but with Xavier/GSBW, maybe 75% are queing you up because you aren't as much of a threat.

Now while that's the reason why I"m not sure I would run those two in PvP, this is why I'm not sure about 5 blue..........

When are you going to get it to work in PvP? I'm talking about the top tier players that generally have almost all the 3*'s maxed out and probably 4*'s, how are you going to get Xavier combo to work with GSBW or Mystique(assuming she's still playable) in PvP if they aren't boosted?

The trial PvP might make this a little more plausible, but unless the featured has blue so you can get Mystique to start triggering, or purple so you can feed GSBW I'm not seeing this being a thing, because you will always generate the featured characters main color, while that can still be nice, it's going to hit hard but not be infinite, all GSBW does is guarentee probably 2 triggers and then the featured characters AP gets generated. So while I do see some nice things happening, I think 5/3/5 might **** him in PvP.
  • rednailz wrote:
    A very short and slim reading list for a 60 year old charecter, but aprpeciate the effort nonetheless.

Well, unfortunately Professor X's greatest battle was Ultimate Professor X, not the one from the 616 (main) Marvel universe

professor-x-vs-stairs1.jpg
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    gamar wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    A very short and slim reading list for a 60 year old charecter, but aprpeciate the effort nonetheless.

Well, unfortunately Professor X's greatest battle was Ultimate Professor X, not the one from the 616 (main) Marvel universe

professor-x-vs-stairs1.jpg

cool. I'm not up to speed on the multiple universe days. too much for this old timer. I collect silver and copper and read the odd mega event, but gave up modern stuff after a vs x.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    So is PX supposed to fire off his yellow on a team up? I guess they count as an ally but is pretty frustrating

Gauntlet last level is infuriating and it doesn't help to have it go off even more...
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    orbitalint wrote:
    So is PX supposed to fire off his yellow on a team up? I guess they count as an ally but is pretty frustrating

Gauntlet last level is infuriating and it doesn't help to have it go off even more...

Yeah, I dropped in here just to ask this same question. I got nuked a couple of times on the Ragnarok essentials sub-tree because the Professor was doing this. Then I learned to kill him first and my life got easier... until the cascades dropped.
  • orbitalint wrote:

TUs count as allies.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Phantron wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

TUs count as allies.
    And I so happen to have a video that confirms it.

/shameless plug
  • I have him at 4/2/2 lvl 144, and I can't for the life of me decide how to build him. Which is a first for me. For me this situation makes him interesting, tbh I can't stop thinking about this build.
    Not even this thread or looking at builds ingame helps, so many variants.

Edit: went 4/4/5. Just played a game where I lost his support to sniper goons, went invis with one protect tile that ended in 11.000 hehe, was fun
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    There are certain attacks from certain characters that seem to be able to hit Professor X even when invisible. Ares, for instance (either Onslaught or Rampage, can't remember which atm), can hit Professor X even while invisible. Is this supposed to happen? I thought the invisibility meant that Professor X could not ever be attacked while invisible.
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    This forum has a weird filter! I meant Professor EX. And, the character who can attack him is the Greek word for Mars (A R E S). Just to be clear.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Invisible characters still take damage from group attacks like Rampage. And that filter is the forum's April Fools gag.
  • Either 445 or 454 will do. From 4 to 5 blue its only 300 extra damage, for real. One round behind purple strengthening either 4 or 5 yellow alredy bypasses that difference and will only further increase it every turn.

OK OK, you get an extra 2 blue AP from 4 to 5 blue. But how much AP you will need to get to just fire a critical? 5 purple with IF? 8 yellow with Cyke? 9 purple/blue for KK/MQ? Just make a freaking blue match and you will areldy be strenghtening your tiles while getting 3 blue AP if you need it that much.
  • Arith wrote:
    I have him at 4/2/2 lvl 144, and I can't for the life of me decide how to build him. Which is a first for me. For me this situation makes him interesting, tbh I can't stop thinking about this build.
    Not even this thread or looking at builds ingame helps, so many variants.

Edit: went 4/4/5. Just played a game where I lost his support to sniper goons, went invis with one protect tile that ended in 11.000 hehe, was fun

I'm finding 454 really useful, x/x/4 guarantees the attacking tile every turn and 5 pink maximizes the damage increase in more tiles
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking 3/5/5 unless you going to consistently run him with someone who can generate match-5's. And there aren't many in the 3/4* realm.

You lose out on 1549 damage from a blue process.

But a yellow process plus one purple falcon buff give an extra 320 strike tile. It only takes 5 uses of that strike tile to make up the damage lost from blue. And that's only from one yellow process.

Two yellow processes with no buff adds 164 in strike tiles. That only needs 9.5 uses to make up the damage.

If you're going to go for tiles + buff, you might as well go all the way.