Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• Thank you so much for this guide, I've been following it like the Bible for the past two weeks! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tweaks to 2* transition section, adding in how PvP is best way to get 2* covers now.
    Updated the horrendously out of date 3* transition section to reflect how d3's drastically slowed down handing out new 3* characters.
    Added an end-game section and tips on what to do after you've completed the 3* transition.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    punisher + cmags team section...RIP enviro crits, you'll always hold a fond place in my heart. I still use this team due to not having a fully leveled patch, and only 5/3/5 cmags, so it's not like they're bad, but this section made me sad. I used to love playing on winter and getting 2 enviro crits into turning the field blue and usually instantly winning with the strike tiles out.
  • Just wanted to say this is a great guide, I'm constantly coming to this for build info. Great job!
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Love this guide. Thanks for answering my followup questions in this thread, I'm pretty excited for the 2* Daken update to finally hit.

With Patch rewards in the latest PVE, that brings me up to 8 covers (3/3/2), max level 102. Is that enough or should I wait for a couple more? I've been stuck in 2* land for a while and itching to start transitioning.

(Obviously the late-game combo of Patch-neto is going to be hit, but he's still independently in your top-tier of transition 3*s.)
  • Amazing guide !!! I should've read it before my 3* transition as I've spent way to much ISO on useless cards !! Will follow your recommendation more closely in the future.
  • Great guide; wish I knew about it when I first installed the game, so much wasted ISO lol
  • Trisul
    If 2* Daken's color changes are finalized as what IceIX mentioned (black > purple > blue), it hurts the all-2* Daken/OBW/Torch team comp, due to Daken no longer tanking green for Torch. Torch would now tank red, green, yellow; OBW would tank blue and purple; Daken would tank only black.

Wolverine and Daken make a nice pairing now in 2* land. Since Daken now will only generate one strike tile, five purple covers are no longer a must, and Daken pretty much doubles his Chemical Reaction damage potential with five blue covers as long as strike tiles are readily available. Dealing ~2k damage for 5 blue AP seems quite nice. Thor makes sense as a good syngergistic third, since Daken would still tank 3 colors.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Can now drop Mag from being a high tier character now.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    another change and another time i'm anticipating how it affects the guide and characters! Cmags is definitely still playable, he's just not broken like he used to be. X-Force....oh X-Force....that black alone is worth putting iso into him.
  • Trisul
    Hey NorthernPolarity,

What's your opinion about 2* Daken being a replacement for OBW as support in the top-tier 2* teams? A team like Thor/Ares, Torch, Daken covers all colors except purple, and Torch is completely hidden behind Thor/Daken (and only shows red for Ares/Daken). Daken blue maxed out at a potential 2k damage is pretty nice alternative for OBW's support abilities.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is an amazing guide and I just wanted to thank you for putting it together. It's a huge help.

Sadly this game is changing so often that even something updated a few weeks ago is already behind. The last couple of patches seem to have changed a bunch and I wonder how/if the rankings have changed much for the various characters.
  • loroku wrote:
    This is an amazing guide and I just wanted to thank you for putting it together. It's a huge help.

Sadly this game is changing so often that even something updated a few weeks ago is already behind. The last couple of patches seem to have changed a bunch and I wonder how/if the rankings have changed much for the various characters.

I agree. This is the best guide to the game ever, but I would love to see it updated to include Mohawk Storm and the new changes to Classic Magneto.
  • rooter wrote:
    loroku wrote:

I agree. This is the best guide to the game ever, but I would love to see it updated to include Mohawk Storm and the new changes to Classic Magneto.

Yes, please! I am a newbie and want to thank you, Polarity, for all the work and insight you put into this guide. It has greatly increased the enjoyment I get from this game.
  • loroku
    NorthernPolarity: You said in your guide that you didn't want to update it again, and I'm sure that's a lot of work. But would you consider putting together even a simple tier ranking of 3* characters in respect to 2* -> 3* transition? I think that's really the main thing people would like to have updated, because that's what has changed the most. Thanks for the consideration!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    loroku wrote:
    NorthernPolarity: You said in your guide that you didn't want to update it again, and I'm sure that's a lot of work. But would you consider putting together even a simple tier ranking of 3* characters in respect to 2* -> 3* transition? I think that's really the main thing people would like to have updated, because that's what has changed the most. Thanks for the consideration!

I think I said that I wouldn't update that specific section (I think the end-game section) with the list of guys that are top tier since it's obvious from the ranks. I'll get around to adding all the new characters sometime soon.
  • Trisul
    loroku wrote:
    Polarity's tier list is already for the 2* --> 3* transition. If it was just raw power, you'd see Sentry at the top.

I remember when the guide was last changed. I'd say since that point, Mag drops to slightly-below-Punisher level, and Daken might drop a spot, but otherwise the list still seems pretty good. General consensus is that Beast and Colossus are quite average in overall power level, which probably puts them in the lower end of the mid-tier (maybe GSBW-range).
  • loroku
    since it's obvious from the ranks
    Obvious to some, maybe. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Very helpful guide. Thank you Polarity! Would love to see new characters added as I sometimes have trouble deciding who to keep or sell.
  • Great guide. Wish I found it (and the forums) just as I started not after I invested some time into it already.

I'm currently trying to finish my 2* team, and I have Thor, C.Storm and Daken as my 3 highest characters right now, and only Daken actually has max covers (though I'm only 1 away from Thor).

What characters (besides OBW) would make a good 3rd for Thor + Daken? Would Little Torch work well?

I was using Classic Storm as my other main for a while, but without having many Magneto covers, she's now tanking a bunch of colours and it's not anywhere as effective now.