Best teams to face Ultron, Sentries and Ultron Prime

Options
I haven't find a similar topic on the forum and I think it would be interesting if some Vets could share their best teams to face Ultron, the Sentries and of course Ultron Prime.

Sentries waves : Personally my MVP is Groot. I faced Ultron and his Sentries like 20 times and he only died one time because of an incredible cascade. I also like to bring Thor with him. bluetile.png Groot then yellowtile.png Thor cause several damages with the cascade and then the greentile.png Thor do ridiculous damages. The third essential character doesn't really matter, with this combo you downed the 2 waves of sentries.

Ultron : I also like to bring Groot, just as a meat shield. Since Ultron does predictable damage it's impossible to die with Groot. Punisher becomes quite useful too. In round 5 my Ultron has 16 000 health point, so Retribution can do 6 400 damages, and it will continu to scale. Doom is usually my third. He is useless against Sentries so I bring him in front to take some bombs sometime, with his life it's not a problem. And his purple can do a lot of damage.
I didn't try the IW tactics (to lock the entire upper row) but I will try it very soon.

Ultron Prime : For now, the first 4 were easy, so I just try several combination without really thinking. Once you downed the blue Sentries which can pop bluecrit.png the game becomes easy. If it becomes too hard I still have 5 Whales waiting for it.

With the rounds becoming harder, maybe my combinations will be exceed, so I'm opened to any suggestion. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like OBW for the sentry waves because they collect lots of ap but don't spend any so they're always full when you steal. Cap's yellow is also nice once you get it going.

I'll have to try Groot.
  • Swordstorm
    Options
    Nice strategies. Cage is the sleeper against the sentries, who essentially take two or three turns to our one. His defensive tile absorbs most of the damage. This increases sustainability for the characters and helps cut down on health packs.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Patch/Loki are always good against sentries. Patch can tank almost indefinitely and Lokis green triggers constantly. Once you get the combo off you can start killing enemies quickly. You may have to do the berserker trickery multiple times during the match since tiles get destroyed constantly.

Against Ultron X-force/iron fist seem to work quite well. Fast reliable super damage. I have been using daken as third for his strike tiles and ability to tank hits but I may try Punisher for his red too.
  • Sentries: Essential + Groot + Cage. Shields + Heal + minor board clear. The blue -> fast black hit combo works well. I've also had some luck with Daken/Wolverine.

Ultron: Cap + MNMags + Healer. Groot works well on healing here, but AWolv was decent until you get past round 6. Downside with Groot is his heal sometimes accidentally dropped bombs, and Cap was tanking yellow. Daken's heal was a little too slow.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ultron I favor L.Cap & GSBW as they both have good counters for that stray bomb tile that is nearing the bottom of the screen. If you can get Cap's Red going, it can usually finish off Ultron while taking down bomb tiles, just be careful about using it too low on the board or Ultron will take it out when it's on the bottom row.
    I keep rotating my 3rd as I've yet to find a Black ability that works well with them. Hood's my usual 3rd with these two, but Intimidate just doesn't feel that useful.

Sentries I'm increasingly surprised how well Psyclocke's Bewilder works against them! Almost every time I'm collecting the full 16 AP as long as I can protect it. Be sure to build a team with full colors though to use her.

Spiderman is another secret star against them as his cheap protect tiles & healing ability actually comes in a handy a lot. I tend to save his blue for when I've got the last one left just to keep the single target from doing anything, especially that healing Flyer.

Blade can spit out Strike tiles very fast if you avoid red, but his Black tends to be less useful as it does drain a particular color for each Sentry, and how much do I really need Blue or Yellow? (oh, right Spiderman!)

Magneto does a decent job as his Blue can nearly down any of them so far (6th Round). His Red potentially does a lot of damage, but also potentially drops a bunch of fresh tiles and that just give the Sentries an advantage. his Yellow though can pretty much negate most of that damage.
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    For Ultron I'm using LThor, LCap and 2*Hawkguy. Thunder Strike triggering Speed Shot into CtS. Caps redflag.png and blueflag.png to deal with bombs that can't get matched. Bad boards do sometimes mean taking a couple of bombs to the face though. For essentials I'm mostly using true healer teams to save on packs, but I'm going to try some of the above suggestions
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Up until round 6, I was doing pretty well against Ultron with LCap (mine is covered 3/5/1), Cage (mine is covered 3/5/2), and GSBW (mine is covered 3/1/2). Gives rainbow coverage, and I could usually get Cap's red shield going and overwriting bomb tiles without getting it wiped. the team would be either effectively unscathed (85%) or it would be last man standing (15%).

I've wiped on two tries against round 7 Ultron, mostly because of the dramatic increase in drop tile damage from about 2400 to 3000. Since none of my crew is maxed, it means that two drop tiles will completely down GSBW and leave either Cap or Cage hurting pretty badly.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:

Magneto does a decent job as his Blue can nearly down any of them so far (6th Round). His Red potentially does a lot of damage, but also potentially drops a bunch of fresh tiles and that just give the Sentries an advantage. his Yellow though can pretty much negate most of that damage.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that sentries' tiles only drop during their turn.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I run Patch Loki for the bulk of the essential nodes unless the essential is Black Widow in which case I run Professor X, Mystique, GSBW.

PX, MQ, GSBW is my go-to for the Ultron and Ultron Prime nodes. Boost black/green and blue/purple (and all if so inclined). Grab all purple and blue matches and make match 5s like it's going out of style. I've downed Ultron Round 8 on my first turn more than once. Just make sure your characters can survive one bomb each as insurance against bad boards.
  • I've switched up to Cap + MNMags + Punisher for Ultron for the last few rounds. Being able to do the final 8000 dmg with 8 red is nice, though Judgement has to be used a little more judiciously.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ultron

Teams
    Early stage only: 2Hawkeye / Thor / Daken
    Captain America / Cyclops / Blade
    X-Force / Iron Fist (Ultron's Strongest color is Black, 'nuff said)

Worst vs Ultron
    Quicksilver (locked tiles speed up bomb drops, prevent your matches)
    Loki, She-Hulk (nothing to steal plus extra cascade destruction plus random board shake)
    Hood, Original Black Widow (nothing to steal)
    Doc Ock, CMagneto (random board shake could put drop tile at bottom)
    Daredevil (only viable power is Ambush)
    Star-Lord (theoretically good Purple but I couldn't get it going fast enough, Red and Yellow are useless)
    Squirrel Girl (**** vs Ultron but shockingly, best vs Ultron Prime)

Ultron Sentries
    (Quicksilver essential) Loki / Magneto ; 3Thor / Loki
    (Iron Man essential) Squirrel Girl / Psylocke
    (Hulk essential) Loki / Patch ; Luke Cage / Patch
    (Black Widow essential) Original / Luke Cage / Gamora or Luke Cage / Patch
    (Hawkeye essential) 3Thor / Loki
    (Captain America essential) Cyclops / MNMags ; Cyclops / Loki

Ultron Prime
    Loki / Luke Cage / Captain America
    Patch / Loki / Iron Fist

Surprise MVP Team vs Ultron Prime / Ultron Sentries
    Squirrel Girl / Psylocke (with Luke Cage, Iron Fist or Iron Man supplements)
    This was actually the most fun to play with multiple abilities that are usually corner-case -- Bewilder steals a huge amount to feed full rainbow abilities, Squirrel Girl can one-shot sentries with Nuts from Above and The Bigger They Are trivializes sentry damage.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Options
    I've been running Thor, GSBW, and Daken against main Ultron, as it lets me funnel Blue, Purple, and Yellow into G for Sniper rifle, and then you also have pistol to take out stray drop tiles.

For waves, I've been changing up based on essential character, but generally find MagStorm is still good with Thor or BW as essential. When QS is essential I've been playing around w/ Daken/KK, and just having passives for days.

For Prime, I've just been using my regular PVE teams. OBW/Ares or Thor/Third or MagStorm/Thor.

I've only wiped once on the big guy since I started using that team, and haven't died on waves since like round 3 when I figured out how to deal with them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2 things:
    Cmags is still very useful. first, blue bombs that cannot be matched otherwise have an option. feeds storm blue even though stun doesn't work, 1800 damage for 11 blue is my best blue outlet. also feeds red to thor or another red user but can shake the board but I haven't had too much trouble with it dropping tiles too far. can also match-4 a line away of another color bomb as available/needed (I've learned, preferably a vertical line...). he can also take 1 hit (rd 7) of a bomb and not go down and generally is expendable toward the end, so depending on ap situation and board sometimes I sacrifice him to keep the damage off of thor.

ambush not a viable option with ultron I don't think. I tried subbing fury for storm one time to use his blue traps and the bottom row removal does not activate the traps. they just go away. I was hoping that it would activate them but was not the case for me, so while daredevil can be useful against the sentries or against prime, pretty useless against ultron. not sure if the swarm attack from the green sentries activate them or not - anyone know?
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    2 things:
    Cmags is still very useful. first, blue bombs that cannot be matched otherwise have an option. feeds storm blue even though stun doesn't work, 1800 damage for 11 blue is my best blue outlet. also feeds red to thor or another red user but can shake the board but I haven't had too much trouble with it dropping tiles too far. can also match-4 a line away of another color bomb as available/needed (I've learned, preferably a vertical line...). he can also take 1 hit (rd 7) of a bomb and not go down and generally is expendable toward the end, so depending on ap situation and board sometimes I sacrifice him to keep the damage off of thor.

MNMags? MNMags is pretty good to feed Capt. America too.
    TxMoose wrote:
    ambush not a viable option with ultron I don't think. I tried subbing fury for storm one time to use his blue traps and the bottom row removal does not activate the traps. they just go away. I was hoping that it would activate them but was not the case for me, so while daredevil can be useful against the sentries or against prime, pretty useless against ultron. not sure if the swarm attack from the green sentries activate them or not - anyone know?

Heh, I meant Billy Club and Radar Sense are completely non-viable vs Ultron icon_e_wink.gif at least you can self-match Ambush and Fury's Demolition traps but yeah, they are not good options. For the same Red AP Punisher's Retribution is way better vs Ultron.

Swarm attack counts as destroy, the traps don't work there either.
  • I have been using Hulk, 3*capt and 2*thor against ultron
    thors yellow feeds Hulk's green
    captains red just keeps replenishing

and if anyone goes down the others pick up the slack

againts the sentries i just sub in OBW for thor
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You're going to laugh, but my breakout star for clearing falling bombs is Hawkeye. The one-star version. I use the other two slots for damage dealers. By himself (primed with 2 red and 2 purple) he keeps it to one bomb impact or less 4 out of 5 times. Paired with 3-BW, 2Mags, or other manipulation chars, I bet he could do better.

I've also had great success with Yelena teamups (turn bombs into wilds), so I suspect she'd do well too.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    CMagneto (random board shake could put drop tile at bottom)
    2 things:
    Cmags is still very useful.

MNMags? MNMags is pretty good to feed Capt. America too.
    doh...not enough sleep last night. thunderstorm wiped out the power ~4am after I stayed up for a late basketball game. not as sharp as normal. and trying to keep up with all this - ugh. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I've found these as my go-to characters:

Sentries:
    Squirrel Girl - Bigger They Are is great for stopping most match damage.

Ultron:
    Combo of GSBW and IM40 (to create Red for GSBW).
  • brafal
    brafal Posts: 20
    Options
    For Ultron Boss node

icon_quicksilver.pngblackflag.png - move tiles to match bombs
    GSBW redflag.png - use pistol to destroy bombs

and Lthor yellow along with them or Hulk to get angry, or whoever is not on cd
  • TxMoose
    Options
    brafal wrote:
    For Ultron Boss node

icon_quicksilver.pngblackflag.png - move tiles to match bombs
    GSBW redflag.png - use pistol to destroy bombs

and Lthor yellow along with them or Hulk to get angry, or whoever is not on cd
    never thought I would move off of Lthor/mnmags/cstorm, but I mags was down last night and I was out of health packs, so I tried 40qs (boosted to 130, 1/3/2) and 40gsbw (boosted to 70, 2/3/3) for board manipulation to go along with my Lthor. and it actually works pretty well. wish I could remove qs blue power because it accelerated some of the drops and blocked a needed match once, but the ability to swap basics to match a bomb away is great and he can take 1 bomb without going down. I've only taken one bomb in the 4-5 tries with this group and they aren't well covered and aren't leveled at all. that fight is all about board manipulation. it helps that her purple is feeding thor green instead of mnmags feeding storm blue.