New Game Mode: Tactical Teamwork Trainer

Options
Hi everyone!

I was just having a blast with the GT LR's and enjoying the great anniversary when I thought about a possible new game mode inspired by the new 4* character's new tiles (although it would be hard to implement her as part of it at this point.) Here goes:

I think it would be cool to have a PVE event similar to the Gauntlet, not focused on grinding or time-based play, but a series of difficult challenges to be completed within a "normal" PVE length of time (3-5 days?).

The idea would be that every mission node in the PVE event would have a different victory conditions in addition to actually beating the enemies. These conditions would get progressively harder, so instead of scaling the bad guys to level 350+, the conditions would simply require more and more diverse rosters. There would be two basic types of additional victory conditions:

1) Persistent Conditions - these would be like how you win. Examples: Win without using strike.png , win without using red AP, win without using any active ability more than once, etc. Anything that would be like "you did something bad, instant failure."
2) End State Conditions - these would be what the board looks like when the last bad guy goes down. Examples: Win with 3 attack.png on the board, win with the enemies having no enemystrike.png , win with at least one trap.png , etc.

I think the idea is that it would be a very different gameplay mode, and it would encourage interesting combinations of teams that is not simply focused on winning as fast as possible so I can get ready for the next 2hr 24m of grinding. I think it would also bring value to having characters that might not always see a lot of play (DD? Loki?) D3 has always seemed to encourage diverse rosters, and I think this mode would do that. If for some reason you didn't have a character that was required for the victory condition, maybe a loaner character could be provided with a low number of covers (2?) in a skill that could provide appropriate tiles.

Let me know what you guys think! Oh, and please be kind to me, because I'm not a game designer or a creative genius or anything, just a fan enjoying MPQ. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• That's some legit puzzle stuff right there. I like it. Some more:
    - Kill all opponents with an AoE finisher.
    - Use an ability of each color in a match.
    - Kill a stunned enemy.
    - Use NO active abilities (that's a Daken/Falcon special right there)
    - Use a 1* team to beat a 2* team, 2* to beat a 3*, 3* to beat a 4*.

The only thing I's be careful about is the instant failure thing. These kinds of challenges are ones where you throw yourself at them over and over, particularly the difficult ones. If instant failure means loss of buckets of health or even worse a full wipe, no one will get anywhere or want to blow healthpacks while other events are going on.
  • I really like these ideas. Actual puzzle elements and not just "How do I dish out the most damage?"
  • Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was thinking that failure wouldn't give instantly cause you to lose all your health or anything. In fact, the opposite. It would give you a chance to start over without having to retreat and lose half your health doing so.
    jralbino wrote:
    The only thing I's be careful about is the instant failure thing. These kinds of challenges are ones where you throw yourself at them over and over, particularly the difficult ones. If instant failure means loss of buckets of health or even worse a full wipe, no one will get anywhere or want to blow healthpacks while other events are going on.
  • This! I was just thinking last night it would be good to have a true "puzzle" element to the game (or a game mode based on the same).
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    Killer idea! Bringing back the "puzzle" in Puzzle Quest!
  • I just saw that they said there will be a new game mode in the Q&A. I wonder if it will be something similar. Regardless, I'm excited!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great idea - I'd love to see something like this. Does anyone remember the puzzles from the first puzzle quest, when upgrading artifacts/researching/capture/forge/etc.? I'd enjoy seeing something like that in this iteration of Puzzle Quest.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jralbino wrote:
    That's some legit puzzle stuff right there. I like it. Some more:
    - Kill all opponents with an AoE finisher.
    - Use an ability of each color in a match.
    - Kill a stunned enemy.
    - Use NO active abilities (that's a Daken/Falcon special right there)
    - Use a 1* team to beat a 2* team, 2* to beat a 3*, 3* to beat a 4* .

Love the ideas. As it is, I already have an unhealthy fondness for doing things like "finish enemy with ballistic salvo team-up", "crotch-kick as many of the opposing team as possible", and "destroy maxed Sentry/Hood with Cstorm/mnmags in a non-BOP event" (this last was awesome fun, and definitely worth the half dozen people pouncing on cstorm/mnmags in the five minutes before I reset my real defense team.) Why suffer the grind of endless shield hopping in high-level pvp?

Come to think of it, maybe I should try "killing Sentry with his own world rupture" next. Do you think Patch/Spidey + Loki TU would work?
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm definitely a fan of an achievement-based system. I'll toss out some more ideas:

Win using only X-Men/Avengers/Women/Villains/Fliers/Gods...
    Cast 3 Wind Storms in a battle and win
    Get off a Ballistic Salvo
    Have a character down themselves (Headbutt, Sunder, World Rupture, Sacrifice, etc) and win the fight
    Win using only Green abilities
    Get a strike/attack tile to 500 points

In fact I think there were a lot of cool ideas in an Achievement poll a few days ago.

In any case, it would be a fun mode.
  • Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone. I hope that we see some more new game modes soon! icon_e_smile.gif