How is this possible

Options
russreid91
russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
In the Trial By Combat PvP, there is a player with the IGN of yama82 that has been sitting unshielded above 1k for the last 12 hours. And he has a 2 star roster aside from a level 145 Punisher and a level 115 XForce, the rest are all maxed 2*.

How is he still up there without getting beaten down? When I went to bed last night I had 814 points and he had 1012, both of us unshielded. I woke up down 90 points as I would have expected, I'm running maxed Sentry and high level SheHulk and Hood. He had moved up to 1205 and was still unshielded. How???? He is now up to 1394 and still unshielded. I have searched for him by skipping other matches and he doesn't come up.

There is now another player NRG521 that has only a maxed Patch 166 and SpiderMan at 142 and the rest of his roster is maxed 2* or lower and he is sitting in 9th unshielded with 1076. This shouldn't be possible unless they have figured out how to go into stealth mode.

Is he sandboxed and that is why I can't find him and how he is able to be up that high without getting hit? I thought that when you got sandboxed that nobody would even see you.

Guess I will wait and see what the standings say at the end but it has been driving me crazy.

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe you're just happening to check on him during hops, and he is in fact shielding? Other than that I'm not sure how that could work. 166 Sentry/Hood teams get knocked down faster than that.
  • Daeft
    Daeft Posts: 20
    Options
    Could they have tanked down to a super low MMR?
  • Daeft wrote:
    Could they have tanked down to a super low MMR?

That would only help to a certain point. No matter how much you tank, around 600-800 points, you start coming out of your MMR and placed into an MMR of everyone with a lot of points. Tanking has only really helped for the initial climb, but not the high end placements.
  • russreid91
    Options
    So I'm not sure what is going on but the event is only showing 500 entries so it doesn't look like they were sandboxed. However I am having issues with connecting to the leaderboard in that event. I can see the leaderboard in all others but not that one.

As for if they were shield hopping, I really don't think they were. I was checking in with them frequently to see if that was the case and through the entire run (over 12 hours) I never saw them shielded.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but being in the same player ranking list doesn't mean you're playing with only the players in your ranking list, i.e. your bracket. If this player had very low MMR for some reason, there could be multiple reasons for that, he might be able to avoid attacks from people with higher MMR who has better or same strength of rosters than him/her. Since he is matched with weak rosters, no one had the courage to attack him during the night.

Not being able to find him is strange. Maybe he is indeed a sandboxed player or you just typed his IGN wrong.
  • russreid91
    Options
    Sorry I meant that I was trying to find him by skipping nodes. I would have thought that simply winning enough to get up that high would have increased his MMR enough to be seen. Also I agree with what was said before where I didn't think MMR mattered after a certain point. 700 seems to be the agreed level where everybody can see everybody else.

Are other people having issues with viewing the leaderboards from the Trial By Combat, I'm just wanting so check the scores from it and I keep getting a Leaderboard error. Nobody from our alliance is able to see it either.
  • Typically, I would guess after the leaderboard bugs clears up it should show 501 players. When a player is sandboxed during an event they still appear on the leaderboard, but do not count when placement rewards or distributed.

However, there has already been one case earlier today of someone that was incorrectly sandboxed. Since it was not their fault; they were permitted (AFAIK) to keep the points and placement in the event. In other words, if the player you mentioned was accidentally sandboxed, they would not come up in any one's queue, and if their account was corrected at the end of the event, the player was/would probably be permitted to keep their points and placement. Assuming you received 2nd place rewards, not 1st, it would seem this was the case. If it were me, I would still send a ticket to CS.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    I finished 6th in this bracket at 1360 and I too watched this Yama82 go unshielded for hours at 1012.

He is in Lost Legion if anyone from there cares to comment. How he got to 1394 according to russreid91 with this roster...

DiouuTx.jpg
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bump this up and solve this mystery! icon_e_surprised.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Just to add a bit to this since it's floating around and before it becomes a witch hunt that I'd have to lock, nothing about the roster or player activity itself looks at all cheater-ish. Mostly a Versus player with lots of battles on record for time played, so likely doing quite a bit of tanking. How Yama is hitting MMR bubbles where no attacks are incoming is something else entirely. I'd have to look into that more specifically. But before it gets that far, it's a false nose, and no, you were not turned into a newt.
  • russreid91
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Just to add a bit to this since it's floating around and before it becomes a witch hunt that I'd have to lock, nothing about the roster or player activity itself looks at all cheater-ish. Mostly a Versus player with lots of battles on record for time played, so likely doing quite a bit of tanking. How Yama is hitting MMR bubbles where no attacks are incoming is something else entirely. I'd have to look into that more specifically. But before it gets that far, it's a false nose, and no, you were not turned into a newt.

Thank you for chiming in ICEIX, communication is always appreciated.

I need to learn this guys secret though, to get that score without shielding is awesome, kudos to him. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    IceIX wrote:

AMA request, yama82.
  • Lol i was in same bracket as this guy he was unshielded at 1370 last 12 hours of the event.
    Looked really shady beeing that high score with that roster even more so unshielded.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options
    NRG521 is in my bracket right now with 1125
    points and he hasn't put on even a single shield in the past 12 hrs .. I wish I knew his technique because I have been spending heaps on shields to get past 1000 ...
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    you were not turned into a newt.

well, i got better....
  • thats crazy
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have been trying to queue up Yama82 because he has been over 1300 and in the top 5 of my current bracket and in my bracket before.
    To help with this mystery, I have asked many of my fellow X-Men to see if they can find this person on a node as well. There is usually at least 20 of us on at one time or another during the day.
    So far nothing. Yama82 is sitting at 1307 and is just not showing up on nodes.
    If anybody can queue him up, and tell us his team, it would be interesting. If anybody has been hit by Yama82, there should be a retaliation node.
    We all want to see the team.
  • That's... pretty bizarre. Not gonna lie. IMO if this is not cheating, we *should* at least in theory see a lot of his alliance doing the same thing before too long. Thanks to IceIX for clearing things up before it goes into witchhunt mode.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess he's found some way to win while also tanking his MMR to the point where nobody good enough to reach 900+ points can see him, while everybody whose MMR is low enough to match his has so few points that they system won't hand them such a profitable matchup. God only knows how he's winning enough to score that many points without eating retailiations out the wazoo, though.

TLDR: MMR's broken, yo.
  • I guess he's found some way to win while also tanking his MMR to the point where nobody good enough to reach 900+ points can see him, while everybody whose MMR is low enough to match his has so few points that they system won't hand them such a profitable matchup. God only knows how he's winning enough to score that many points without eating retailiations out the wazoo, though.

TLDR: MMR's broken, yo.

I thought once you crossed a certain point (700 or 800 points) you were visible to everyone with those points, regardless of MMR