- Characters receive true healing if their powers heal their wounds. Character powers that ease combat but don't heal wounds provide temporary health.
- The following abilities are considered true healing:
- - Ares (Dark Avengers): Sunder - This ability is more a moment of weakness than actual damage, so Ares gains health back when the weakness passes.
- Daken (Classic) and (Dark Avengers Wolverine): Healing & Heat
- Wolverine (Patch) and (Astonishing X-Men): Healing Factor
- Wolverine (X-Force): Recovery
- - Black Widow (Original): Anti-Gravity Device - This ability uses gravitic fields that lets heroes fight more easily despite injuries. It doesn't heal them of these injuries however.
- Spider-Man (Classic): Web Bandages - These bandages help heroes fight through pain but do not provide actual healing.
- She-Hulk (Modern): Reprieve – She-Hulk allows for the team to take a rest from combat for a moment and gather their strength but does not heal any wounds.
Edit 2: We've also finished up planning on a companion to this new change. This additional change will result in a reduction in time needed to naturally regen characters for most characters in the game.
Old Healing Rates
- - All characters regain 12 health/minute
- Wolverine and Daken regain 24 health per minute
New Healing Rates
- - 2* characters regain 18 health/minute (1.5x faster)
- 3* characters regain 24 health/minute (2x faster)
- 4* characters regain 30 health/minute (2.5x faster)
- Characters with significant regenerative powers: Wolverine, Daken, Spider-Man, Hulk, and She-Hulk regain health at double the rate.
Edit: Added some reasoning from further in the thread
One of the intentions with this change is to cut down on things like Prologue Healing, which prolongs play time through something that is pretty obviously just a time intensive process that doesn't involve actual strong gameplay. It's something people do because it's there, much like tanking. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable. It's something that exists and is taken advantage of because of pure efficiency.
What we intend, and continue to drill in on is that we want players to have a broad mix of characters instead of a Top 3 that is their sole team to play with. In Versus this is a bit rougher of a prospect as players that battle have their last winning team placed on defense. So it's not always the best idea to fight with a less powerful defensive team in order to make up more points. That's something that we're always thinking about. We've discussed allowing players to set a defensive team, but with many other games out with similar versus situations this results in a very precise meta-game where an extremely large percentage of the user base chooses the same defenders. That's not a very fun time for most players.
However, in Events, we continually buff different characters, and outside of Heroics, still allow for characters to be used that aren't buffed. What we want players to do is to play with the breadth of their roster instead of using Spider-Man or Black Widow as necessary crutches and only building 3 other characters. This change is intended to result in exactly this as players see that they can't just rely on in-battle healing and look for other ways besides spending Health Packs to continue playing. We want you to keep playing on your own schedule. We want you to play with multiple characters. Doing so keeps players on their toes and making them think of character combinations that they wouldn't otherwise go with if they weren't forced out of their single set of heroes.