True Healing Discussion (Live 6/25)

Comments

• BearVenger wrote:
    I didn't think I'd dig True Healing, but I think it's a change for the better. I don't grind the Prologue like I used to (and I don't see the desirability of enhanced Ragnarok team-ups). I keep 19-20 good team-ups in my roster.

I get that I either have to use one of my five health packs, switch characters, or put the game down. I don't waste time slogging through parts of the game that I don't like doing.

I don't know if d3's getting more or less money per player than they did before "True Healing," but they haven't gotten more from me (Before True Healing: $5. After True Healing: $3.80). And while, if asked, I wouldn't have elected for True Healing, I don't want to go back to the way it was before.

I only remember doing prologue healing when i first started in the venom stage with the spidey on loan that had the heal but it was way inefficient 30 min trying to heal to play an additional 10 minutes. Before true healing it was play 30 min wait 2hours and play 30 min. Then i got OBW. I would be able to play and play and play and play and play and play and play and play and play and play 2hours, 3hours, even 5 on a lazy weekend. I would only put down MQP when i was done playing it. i would make sure i was healed for the next fight before i finished the match. Sure some times i'd let the match go too long and Lazy Thor would destroy my team other fights i needed to knock out everyone and try to heal in the next fight. i never did care before if i put it down mid fight.

Now i do. i think to my self there goes 1 to 3 of my five health packs just to play the next round if i don't finish and let my buds heal while i'm off. I now need to ration my heals and carefully choose when to heal my main team. I have lost more fights trying to ration my heals then i care to admit and to what embarrassing teams i will never tell. I have not clocked the same levels of continuous game play in the post true healing dark ages, even with my more developed roster. It seems a little maddening fighting waves of perfectly healed opponents while your heroes take their licks and fight the good fight struggling along only to end up sprawled out on the floor with you unable to coax them back and having your only response be see you in 2 hours. You may not have use healing that much before it got turned to it's current monstrosity, but it was the defining point in my game play. Now whenever I put the game down before i wanted to while my Health packs are recovering i think to myself the the Dev's wanted it this way even if it cost them their player base. And I remind myself of it every time i think i want to purchase anything for MQP.
  • This thread.

Won't.

Die.
  • This thread.

Won't.

Die.
    As it should be. This thread has True Healing.
  • I propose this thread be renamed "True Healing Discussion (Live 24/7)"
  • It really needs to be called False Healing

do you guys think this was a worse change or not as bad as teh current shield tinykitten
  • Smith13
    Smith13 Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    This thread shouldn't die
  • nimvin
    nimvin Posts: 81
    Smith13 wrote:

Does it have "true healing" or temp healing? If not true very high chance it will die.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    nimvin wrote:
    Smith13 wrote:

Does it have "true healing" or temp healing? If not true very high chance it will die.

It's OK. We can just inject it with a health-pack every now and again to keep it going.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like to see this thread pop up, as it reminds of the Good Old Days (or Bad Old Days, depending on how you look at it) when players where actively trying to lose 1st place to avoid Invisible Woman rewards (before the "winner takes all" currently in place was in effect). I have never scored 1st in a PvP, but I have scored 2nd place twice, actively forcing my placement down from first to avoid the dreaded first place IW "prize". That was in the pre-shield-hop "800 points nets you top 10" days, and those days are probably long, long gone. Brings back good memories, though.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    i wonder if boosting 4*'s is another ploy to remind us of the good old day when we used to heal in prologue. increase health and damage for characters that can already beat any 3* is kinda health pack sink.
  • So what's going on in this thread again?
    icon_twisted.gif
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I'll throw my serious discussion topic in here even though it'll likely get buried and become irrelevant soon...
    I welcome any discussion on the merits of pitfalls of this kind of change.

1) Remove True Healing from the game entirely

It's clearly harmful to have characters like X-Force/Patch/Daken/Groot as endlessly playable characters with almost zero health pack use. The reason why should be clear. You have powerhouse characters like Black Panther and Nick Fury and yet they can only be played for 2 or 3 matches. Meanwhile you can play a true healer for 50+ matches and still deal great damage barring a party wipe. This play disparity hurts roster diversity and decision making. It's not a decision on whether you level X-Force or Fury. The choice is made for you. You either level X-Force or you intentionally handicap your sustained play and ability to perform well in game. True healing promotes repetition and 'must have' characters while discouraging roster diversity. In fact, the most roster diversity I get these days is "who should I pair with x-force now that (insert non-true healer here) is down".

2) After each battle all heroes who survived are fully healed

This instantly puts all characters on an equally viable level. You need only keep them alive. It also lends way more value to protect tiles and defensive skills which is great as these things are largely ignored. Characters who are downed require a health pack to revive. To avoid abuse...retreating would have to ensure at least one character is downed. This decision could be made at random or based on lowest health remaining.

3) Test system with PvP and adjust progression rewards accordingly.

Naturally this change has the potential to lead to a significant change in how pvp operates. Test the impact of scores in PvP/LR and adjust progression rewards as needed to maintain whatever internal metrics you've set out.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    A thread from some months ago (so many newer characters are missing, but the same concept applies) that takes a more standardised and consistent approach to healing across the game.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or give more characters true healing, for diversity sake. What if Spidey & She-Hulk true healed? Ok, they would still be pretty bad. Maybe true healing should be on support characters and not those with heavy attacks.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Basically what the devs really have a problem with is team healing. As one can see, the only characters who lost true healing are those who heal their teammates as well as themselves. The problem is that the devs never bothered to re-balance any of the team healing powers after the True Heal change.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Basically what the devs really have a problem with is team healing. As one can see, the only characters who lost true healing are those who heal their teammates as well as themselves. The problem is that the devs never bothered to re-balance any of the team healing powers after the True Heal change.

This. A single character that can team-true-heal, no matter how bad it is, will be used to prologue heal.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Or give more characters true healing, for diversity sake. What if Spidey & She-Hulk true healed? Ok, they would still be pretty bad. Maybe true healing should be on support characters and not those with heavy attacks.

As he is now Spidey is one of the best PvE heroes for the final grind in the new 8h refresh PvE setup. His heal being burst only matters to any great degree if you can't go into a match hurt because you'll lose, otherwise it lets you keep going into fights far longer (especially with his protects).

Take the last heroic as an example. I was going through some of my 3rd sub runs on zero health packs because of spidey and OBW's burst heals meaning I came out of fights with almost as much health as I went in once my guys were at least a bit beaten up.

We will never see group true healing again unless it's an UNBELIEVABLY pitiful amount. the best we may see is a power that true heals the caster and burst heals the rest of the team.
  • babinro wrote:
    I'll throw my serious discussion topic in here even though it'll likely get buried and become irrelevant soon...
    I welcome any discussion on the merits of pitfalls of this kind of change.

1) Remove True Healing from the game entirely

It's clearly harmful to have characters like X-Force/Patch/Daken/Groot as endlessly playable characters with almost zero health pack use. The reason why should be clear. You have powerhouse characters like Black Panther and Nick Fury and yet they can only be played for 2 or 3 matches. Meanwhile you can play a true healer for 50+ matches and still deal great damage barring a party wipe. This play disparity hurts roster diversity and decision making. It's not a decision on whether you level X-Force or Fury. The choice is made for you. You either level X-Force or you intentionally handicap your sustained play and ability to perform well in game. True healing promotes repetition and 'must have' characters while discouraging roster diversity. In fact, the most roster diversity I get these days is "who should I pair with x-force now that (insert non-true healer here) is down".
    I understand where your head is with this, but I think only two characters should lose true healing - AWolvie and X-Force. Patch actually hurts himself with his heal, and Patch's penchant for self crippling strike tiles, I think balance him out enough. It's not like other healers like OBW who have no weakness to the heal. It's instant, the only weakness being it's strength. Same goes for Spiderman.
    - Unreall
  • Necropost.png
    Looking back, do people think true healing has helped or hindered roster diversity. would we be seeing more play from Shehulk, beast, or spidey it they healed correctly? OBW looks like she is still in the mix and would still be a staple in developing 2* team but that is cause she stands alone in this role in her tier. 3*s BP could not be a HP sink when paired with spidey or even he becomes more sustainable patch Beast/shehulk. The hood could use some extra health when tangling with some 4*s.

how has it affected your gameplay and your experience?

what would it be like for you if they reverted this change? would the top change? does fury become an option?

would you change your current game play?
    Let me know

P.S.I already got some pain from unintentionally bring an old post back, so bring the hate for a post i think is worth the discussion
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Necropost.png
    Looking back, do people think true healing has helped or hindered roster diversity. would we be seeing more play from Shehulk, beast, or spidey it they healed correctly? OBW looks like she is still in the mix and would still be a staple in developing 2* team but that is cause she stands alone in this role in her tier. 3*s BP could not be a HP sink when paired with spidey or even he becomes more sustainable patch Beast/shehulk. The hood could use some extra health when tangling with some 4*s.

how has it affected your gameplay and your experience?

what would it be like for you if they reverted this change? would the top change? does fury become an option?

would you change your current game play?
    Let me know

P.S.I already got some pain from unintentionally bring an old post back, so bring the hate for a post i think is worth the discussion

How is it worth a discussion? It's been discussed and complained about to death. Time to let it die IMO
This discussion has been closed.