The Role of Luck (Yes Magneto, there IS a Santa Claus)

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Over the past week on this forum I've done across a lot of Ill feelings towards the game and how unbalanced it is in favor of "top dogs" as if to discredit their perceived ease and therefore enjoyment in this game as it currently stands.

I believe that hard effort went into building *** teams.
I believe that sometimes, $$$ was involved.
I believe that the role of luck is underrated.

I've been playing for 6-7 weeks, and only now am I beginning to approach competitiveness (I.e. top-50 finishes in Lightning Rounds; yes, those tournaments are brutal).

I'm building a Magneto (currently 89, 2/2/5), and have been playing only Magneto rounds seriously (I tank in the Loki round). The first time I placed, my then 41 Magneto was flanked by Classic Storm and Thor. Just now, I placed with a 77 Magneto flanked by Wolverine and Thor (in all cases my **s are maxed out).

I avoided Ragnarok teams as much as possible and would never reach 500 points but somehow I didn't fall far enough to miss the top 50.

Here is the real luck:

1st tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto blue cover
2nd tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto purple cover

(I used the HP I hoarded from The Hunt and previous tournaments to buy 2 purple covers).

Merry tinykitty Christmas!

That's the game!

Comments

• Nice going! Getting to where you can make top 50 and above in the lightning rounds, then into top 25 and top 8 is the single toughest transition in the game. Sounds like you've got it going on.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This forum needs more beer.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:

Dugn, really? Not helping.
  • Forums needs more Coors. Tap the Rockies
  • Fine I'll edit it. Guy crossed the line when he started questioning my parenting skills though.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Nice going! Getting to where you can make top 50 and above in the lightning rounds, then into top 25 and top 8 is the single toughest transition in the game. Sounds like you've got it going on.

Thanks bro. Getting my second red Ragnarok cover is going to be the next tough goal. But I don't want to worry about that. I feel so good right now LOL.
    DumDumDugn wrote:

I placed high enough in the No Holds Barred tourney to win The Punisher (black cover) while drinking beer at a work party.

Yes, I was more than social.

Whiskey is fine too!
  • Misguided wrote:
    Nice going! Getting to where you can make top 50 and above in the lightning rounds, then into top 25 and top 8 is the single toughest transition in the game. Sounds like you've got it going on.

Thanks bro. Getting my second red Ragnarok cover is going to be the next tough goal. But I don't want to worry about that. I feel so good right now LOL.
    DumDumDugn wrote:

I placed high enough in the No Holds Barred tourney to win The Punisher (black cover) while drinking beer at a work party.

Yes, I was more than social.

Whiskey is fine too!

Now that's what I call multitasking
  • Bartender pass me a Mojito now what was the topic
  • DumDumDugn wrote:

You can have the beer - I want the eggnog.
  • zhathras wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

You can have the beer - eggnog is gross.

Fixed for accuracy. Drank too much of the **** as a kid. Now rum can't even save it.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    zhathras wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

You can have the beer - eggnog is my drink.

Fixed for accuracy. Didn't drink enough of the stuff as a kid. Now bring on the rum.

Refixed it
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    zhathras wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

Fixed for accuracy. Drank too much of the **** as a kid. Now rum can't even save it.

Then the only choice left is to go for the real stuff.
    Time to bring on the Tequila.
  • zhathras wrote:
    _fulu_ wrote:
    zhathras wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

Then the only choice left is to go for the real stuff.
    Time to bring on the Tequila.

Dammit, Zathras, now I went a jalapeño margarita.
  • Etusn wrote:
    Bartender pass me a Mojito now what was the topic

The topic is inebriated tile-matching.

I totally missed 5-of-kind matches because of beer and tinikitty karaoke.
  • Line me up the Christmas eve tequila shots. Will certainly add a level of challenge to the hulk missions
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    tinikitty karaoke.
    They have Jingle Cats karaoke? That I'd pay to see. Preferably while drunk, yes.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now we just need a tinykitty seasonal insertion, where environmental tiles get replaced by tiny kittens. When matched, they might generate some ISO, damage the currently targeted enemy, generate a few HP, or stun your team for a turn and deal sizable damage to your entire team (TINYKITTY! RNG YOU TINYKITTY!)
  • UNFUCKINGBRLIEVABLE

Did Magneto lightning round. Tanked too much in Loki round. All beatable opponents worth too few points. Got creamed trying to take on a Spidey/Mag/Rag team for 32 points in the final minute (got Rags to 1600 from 17000 hit points).

Top 50 finish.

Diabolical token.

CLASSIC MAGNETO (red cover).

My Magneto is now 2/3/5.

Merry Christmas all day!
  • lucky fella! Got a top 8 finish while ISO grinding. Kinda nice for the extra hps from selling the covers
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    lucky fella! Got a top 8 finish while ISO grinding. Kinda nice for the extra hps from selling the covers

Thanks.

Can't rely on this lucky streak anymore. I'll really need a second *** powerhouse if I want to do better (even with a 102 Magneto). my Spiderman only has one blue cover and my Ragnarok only has one red cover.

Still, I'm in a far better place than I was a week ago.