Best Active Abilities by Colour - Red

Pylgrim
Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
As per viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17361, this is the poll for Red. Due to the high number of red active abilities (above the poll limit of 15), please post indicating if you wish to vote for

[ ] Pistol (Gray Suit Black Widow)
[ ] Smash (Hulk)
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Don't worry.

No one will vote for Smash or Pistol.

I voted for Fireball due to the sheer burst of it. 14 AP gets you 6780 damage + 4 tile destructions for at least 79 each, for a total of 7096.

506 damage per AP.

There are only three abilities that could match that damage capability; Deadpool's A little off the top, which is dependent on the enemy's current health, Punisher's Retribution, which is also dependent on the enemy's current health as well as their max health, and Best there is, which is dependent on how many tiles he owns.

Deadpool gets 506 damage per AP if the opponent has 4670 or more health remaining. But it can never finish anyone off and has no minimum damage.

Punisher gets 506 damage per AP if the opponent has 10120 or more max health and is below or at 40% health.

Best There is, at level 3, gets 506 damage per AP if there are more than 62 tiles on the board belonging to him (out of 64, which is pretty much impossible). At level 5, he gets 506 damage per AP if there are more than 28 tiles on the board belonging to him.

In terms of unconditional single target damage, Human Torch's Fireball is easily the best red in the game.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    1st of all I could not believe how many great red abilities there are. I voted Captain America, Patch and Sentry.

For Captain America once you get red going it is just devistating. The reason he gets the vote is because his gets his red ap back to fire again. This makes him a killer once he gets going.
    Patch level 5 red can 1 shot anyone with enough tiles on the board. The power is called The Best Their IS for a reason.
    Sentry is my third. Supernova destroys 9 red tiles and does AOE damage. This power is so over looked because of Sacrafice and WR, but the reality is Supernova is the best AOE red in the game and only cost 11 AP.

Honorable mention: Fireball 8 AP for over 3k damage and you get 2AP back. Colossal Puch just shy of CoTS for AOE ability. ALOT best opening salvo but cannot kill anyone. Retibution the ultimate finishing move. The animation alone is perfect and if the person is below 40% dead.

I will say again there are a lot of great red abilities!!
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Star Spangled Avenger, easily. So much damage for effectively 1 red AP, on top of the utility to replace special tiles on the board.

Not so great in the fast-paced PvP, though. I prefer Magneto's Polarizing Force. Clearing all Team-Ups on the screen sets up for some crazy cascades (crazy powerful when paired with Xforce Wolverine).
  • Pylgrim
    onimus wrote:
    Don't worry.

No one will vote for Smash or Pistol.

Hah, there's a reason why I left them aside!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    But really, icon_shehulk.png's red is vastly underrated. For all the talk about how damage/AP, icon_beast.png is like a mini-cots, when you take into account not needing a bluetile.png special tile, Power of Attorney is probably even higher efficiency, and the destruction pattern is way better at actually getting cascades (not to mention pretty darn good at getting hard to reach countdowns in the bottom of the board)
  • Spoit wrote:
    But really, icon_shehulk.png's red is vastly underrated. For all the talk about how damage/AP, icon_beast.png is like a mini-cots, when you take into account not needing a bluetile.png special tile, Power of Attorney is probably even higher efficiency, and the destruction pattern is way better at actually getting cascades (not to mention pretty darn good at getting hard to reach countdowns in the bottom of the board)
    The problem is both of her other abilities are terrible haha.

And the tile destruction doesn't deal damage.

It is a strong ability, but it isn't game changing like many abilities. It is just a strong AoE ability with cascade potential.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    The best redtile.png is a fight between icon_captainamerica.png and icon_humantorch.png . I personally think icon_captainamerica.png is better. The fact that you can select where you want it to go makes it better than randomly blowing up 2 redtile.png . But icon_humantorch.png does get cheaper after that initial 8, but in case the board is dry, Murica can usually fire off another shield easily. After those two, I voted icon_magneto.png as the 3rd best. And it is, however it's dependent on the number of tutile.png tiles there are, which after using it once, there are none for more damage. But I think it's a great power and usually hits damn hard!
  • Pylgrim
    Nellyson wrote:
    The best redtile.png is a fight between icon_captainamerica.png and icon_humantorch.png . I personally think icon_captainamerica.png is better. The fact that you can select where you want it to go makes it better than randomly blowing up 2 redtile.png . But icon_humantorch.png does get cheaper after that initial 8, but in case the board is dry, Murica can usually fire off another shield easily. After those two, I voted icon_magneto.png as the 3rd best. And it is, however it's dependent on the number of tutile.png tiles there are, which after using it once, there are none for more damage. But I think it's a great power and usually hits damn hard!

Yeah, I remember when that power used to belong to Storm and I loved her for it. I wish I could use it again, but in almost a year of playing, I have only ever got 5 of c.Mags covers.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd rather take a single SPA or Fireball as opposed to a rank 5 Supernova. With enough red on the board, it's comparable to CotS in strength with potential to cascade.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume that "Star Spangled Avenger" includes Steve Rogers. It does super powerful damage, covers an enemy tile of your choice, AND returns 99% of the Ap you spent. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I'd rather take a single SPA or Fireball as opposed to a rank 5 Supernova. With enough red on the board, it's comparable to CotS in strength with potential to cascade.
    All of Sentry's abilities are hard to grade for me.

His Red is outstanding, but it ends the turn and it deals a pretty heavy amount of damage to your team as well.

What's ranked higher? A strong ability with 2 huge cons or a less strong ability with no con?
  • Spoit
    I'd rather take a single SPA or Fireball as opposed to a rank 5 Supernova. With enough red on the board, it's comparable to CotS in strength with potential to cascade.
    It's not that much cheaper than cts either thouh 11 vs 14
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Surprised there aren't more votes for cMagneto. Sure, Deadpool's red is uber-nice but it has a significant drawback: it's early use only and it can never kill anyone without some powerful strike tiles.

The best reds, hands down, are lazy Cap and HT's. The best PvP red is cMagneto since he's a more viable PvP character due to XF synergy and cheaper skills/higher than Torch's health.

Shulkie's red is not terrible but since the character herself is terrible, yeah no.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    locked wrote:
    Surprised there aren't more votes for cMagneto. Sure, Deadpool's red is uber-nice but it has a significant drawback: it's early use only and it can never kill anyone without some powerful strike tiles.

The best reds, hands down, are lazy Cap and HT's. The best PvP red is cMagneto since he's a more viable PvP character due to XF synergy and cheaper skills/higher than Torch's health.

Shulkie's red is not terrible but since the character herself is terrible, yeah no.

Cap, Torch and Mags for me. Yeah, Mags doesn't actually do a huge amount of damage but clearing out all the TU tiles can make a massive difference, particularly with X-Force as you point out.
  • Spoit
    HT's red is like DP's, except it's not capped, and does tile destruction, at an initial cost of 2 AP more (but both are still only effectively 6 AP)
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2014
    HT is by far the best AP to damage ratio while being cheap as well. Caps red costs 3 more ap than HT and has less damage to AP ratio. I find it by far more beneficial to kill that high priority target than have caps damage sustainability. 8 ap to 11 is an entire match, and if you are farming red from the beginning, getting to 8 vs 11 is a huge difference. If we are talking high level PVE, perhaps Cap can take the lead, but in the end the best rewards vs effort come from PVP.

Defensively, I fear Cap much less than HT. I am much more likely to starve an 11 red vs 8 that will hurt VERY bad.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    If you manage to fire Star-Spangled Avenger twice (otherwise not much reason to bring Cap at all), it beats any and all other red abilities in damage to AP ratio.
  • Spoit
    locked wrote:
    If you manage to fire Star-Spangled Avenger twice (otherwise not much reason to bring Cap at all), it beats any and all other red abilities in damage to AP ratio.
    Exactly. That's why comparing stuff to CtS is a red herring, since a great deal of that 14 AP cost is reduced due to thor's AP generation abilities. And on the other side, you have people seriously comparing Beast's green to it, not counting the (lack of) AP anti-efficiency from other preconditions (i.e. the blue special tiles)

Really, that's just a long winded way of saying that She-hulk's red is one of the better team attack abilities because of it's lack of pre-conditions
  • Human Torch, all day, erry day.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Human Torch's red is an awsome ability, but the problem with his ability in PVP is HT. His health is just too low so he is not sustainable. LCap's red returns 99% of the AP and once you get 12 Red AP you are more likely to keep firing. I also think Supernova is super strong at level 5. It might end the turn but the that amount of damage it is worth it.