Goon AP generation

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So...after having played this game for awhile, and then attempting Family Reunion VII (IM35, C. Mags, Maggia Don) several times...sometimes getting DESTROYED...and sometimes winning by the skin of my teeth.. it has made me wonder how goons generate AP. In particular, the Maggia Don seems to be the worst of the bunch for feeding the Marvel characters.

Is there any clear definition of how much AP they generate naturally each turn? I know the Don has an ability that generates 2 of each Yellow, Blue, and Black.... but clearly even without this ability he must be generating at LEAST yellow, because within 2 or 3 turns i'm getting hit with Coercive field making the rest of the fight insanely annoying.

Personally I believe that the claims that "The AI CHEATS!" is caused by these damn nodes where Marvel characters are paired with goons..because they certainly DO use their abilities MUCH faster than in a typical fight in which they have to match to gain AP.

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fairly certain that goons generate 2 AP of the colours that they have powers for.

That means Maggia Don generates 2 Yellow, 2 Blue and 2 Black AP each turn.

Yes, once he starts, he can snowball fairly easily. Of course, the pairing also helps. cMags and overlevelled IM35 is a great "stall" duo. I do have a feeling that particular node should be readdressed. It was designed around original cMags, so the Yellow was only feeding IM35 and cMags would have been using Blue to drop only 2 shields at a time, plus cMags was more likely to spend red, saving you from the overlevelled blast from IM35.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    Fairly certain that goons generate 2 AP of the colours that they have powers for.

That means Maggia Don generates 2 Yellow, 2 Blue and 2 Black AP each turn.

Yes, once he starts, he can snowball fairly easily. Of course, the pairing also helps. cMags and overlevelled IM35 is a great "stall" duo. I do have a feeling that particular node should be readdressed. It was designed around original cMags, so the Yellow was only feeding IM35 and cMags would have been using Blue to drop only 2 shields at a time, plus cMags was more likely to spend red, saving you from the overlevelled blast from IM35.

So basically when a match happens, if they get a cascade on the first match, they could theoretically use all abilities in the second round without giving you even a second chance....ridiculous. goon/character nodes are just nuts.....
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I want playable Maggia Don
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I 100% agree. Just took my buffed OBW, Wolvie, Flacon against level 130s. Started well, green critical, placed critcal to complete a chain of 4 purple. The way that fell it left a 4 way blue for AI. This cascades into AP generation of 10 blue 7 yellow 10 red. Officially game over.
  • Try Loki. I'm serious. Even with 1 cover blackflag.png + oBW tanking colours and/or attack.png on field it makes mincemeat out of them if they spammed the field with enemyprotect.png. Just do not let them get any Red or it will hurt...
  • Nivrax wrote:
    Try Loki. I'm serious. Even with 1 cover blackflag.png + oBW tanking colours and/or attack.png on field it makes mincemeat out of them if they spammed the field with enemyprotect.png. Just do not let them get any Red or it will hurt...

That helped quite a bit! My Loki only has 2 blackflag.png but even then I got the first shot from cMags transformed into strike tiles.... then lost Falcon during the match, kept healing with OBW and just pounding, keeping red as much away from them as possible. Of course, hit the goon first, otherwise you can't heal with OBW... Not an easy fight at all, but now doable.

Keops
  • I hate this node. SO much.

This node makes me wish I had a 13 cover Doc Ock, just to try it, see if he actually works in a special tile saturated environment. Since each of the tiles is over 100 defense tho, and shield tiles that are broken count on the ability that broke them, I have a feeling Doc Ock would get slaughtered here.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    I hate this node. SO much.

This node makes me wish I had a 13 cover Doc Ock, just to try it, see if he actually works in a special tile saturated environment. Since each of the tiles is over 100 defense tho, and shield tiles that are broken count on the ability that broke them, I have a feeling Doc Ock would get slaughtered here.

This was my first thought. This was built for Doc Ock to counter. If he can't do it, then basically throw him in the trash heap.
  • The goons generate 2 or 1 AP of a color and there's no particular pattern to whether they'll generate 1 or 2. I think if the goon only has one ability it'll generate 2 AP of that color, but other than that there's no consistent pattern. A Soldier generates 1 purple and 1 green, but a Lieutenant generates 2 purple and 1 yellow each turn, and Don generates 2 yellow, black, and blue AP each turn. Maybe some goons are meant to be stronger than others.
  • Thy don't have to be locked into a color scheme either. One of the Brotherhood Mutant Goons (the big one) generates Black even tho he doesn't have Detonate or any black power.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Thy don't have to be locked into a color scheme either. One of the Brotherhood Mutant Goons (the big one) generates Black even tho he doesn't have Detonate or any black power.

I think that guy is the only exception but yes he tripped me up quite a few times when he's paired up with Psylocke and I spent a lot of time wondering where those black AP are coming from.
  • Posted this in the Event thread for this event as its something I had luck with. Others have tried it with similar results so might help you all as well.
    I'm having alot of luck running Maxed AWolvie, Maxed OBW, and level 84 Cstorm againt 140ish Mags/IM/Don.

Targeting Mags first and prioritizing Blue/Green/Red in that order. Build up enough for windstorm and switch to IM before firing to stun. Go back and finish off Mags, then back to IM, and save Don for last.

Getting strike tiles out from Wolvie's green makes OBW do ridiculous damage...

Sadly, I don't have a yellow Falcon cover, so he's pretty much dead weight for me in that node. I've also noticed that Redwing is not always triggering like it should. Seems to happen most often with the Don. Sat at 11+ blue for several roun ds with CD tiles all over the place and no Redwing in sight. Begining to wonder if he's immune and I just didnt know it.
  • Alexraven wrote:
    Posted this in the Event thread for this event as its something I had luck with. Others have tried it with similar results so might help you all as well.
    I'm having alot of luck running Maxed AWolvie, Maxed OBW, and level 84 Cstorm againt 140ish Mags/IM/Don.

Targeting Mags first and prioritizing Blue/Green/Red in that order. Build up enough for windstorm and switch to IM before firing to stun. Go back and finish off Mags, then back to IM, and save Don for last.

Getting strike tiles out from Wolvie's green makes OBW do ridiculous damage...

Sadly, I don't have a yellow Falcon cover, so he's pretty much dead weight for me in that node. I've also noticed that Redwing is not always triggering like it should. Seems to happen most often with the Don. Sat at 11+ blue for several roun ds with CD tiles all over the place and no Redwing in sight. Begining to wonder if he's immune and I just didnt know it.

Redwing can't remove CD tiles until it's at a high level (level 4 I think?).
  • He's been doing it for the other goons Cd tiles...

Edit: I just checked his guide and you're right, he doesn't do that until the Fourth Cover. Strange, I would swear I've seen him do it for other goons. I must have been hallucinating. lol
  • patch (or A.wolvie if you're not there yet)+cstorm+obw tanking blue.
    zerker rage IM and windstorm mags. Should be fairly straightforward from there.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    I do have a feeling that particular node should be readdressed. It was designed around original cMags, so the Yellow was only feeding IM35 and cMags would have been using Blue to drop only 2 shields at a time, plus cMags was more likely to spend red, saving you from the overlevelled blast from IM35.

Wash your mouth out. The node is working as intended. You're clearly playing it wrong.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    I do have a feeling that particular node should be readdressed. It was designed around original cMags, so the Yellow was only feeding IM35 and cMags would have been using Blue to drop only 2 shields at a time, plus cMags was more likely to spend red, saving you from the overlevelled blast from IM35.

Wash your mouth out. The node is working as intended. You're clearly playing it wrong.

Err.... okay? icon_razz.gif It's a total F U node the way the C. Mags redesign affected it lol. feeding yellow and blue, which happen to be the awesome delay and destroy tactic, even after cmags is dead, you then get hit by armored assault and Ultra freon beam instead... icon_e_smile.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Didn't think I needed to add "/sarcasm", but please go ahead and re-read my post with that at the end icon_razz.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:

Ah, what was I thinking?! I love Big Brother!
  • Didn't think I needed to add "/sarcasm", but please go ahead and re-read my post with that at the end icon_razz.gif

I suppose that makes sense icon_e_smile.gif Sorry I was tired when I read that post! lol