AI cascades must be addressed

Options
fmftint
fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
While waiting for Thick as Thieves nodes to reset I decided to run a couple Sims. First match, 2 moves in I've generated 6 ap. The AI in the same number of moves? 47 ap! In 2 turns
8 yellowtile.png
7 redtile.png
7 bluetile.png
5 greentile.png
4 purpletile.png
10 blacktile.png
6 tutile.png

This is not an unusual occurrence

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's that time of the month again! Ahem, "No, the AI does not cheat: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15895&start=40#p220817".
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's that time of the month again! Ahem, "No, the AI does not cheat: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15895&start=40#p220817".
    From the same developers that say Moonstone is underrated and underused? They can say whatever they want, I know what I see and experience. Either the AI "knows" what is off screen or tiles are being generated in their favor

ps I didn't say they cheat, but tiles fall in their favor far too often. I've never had 6 of the same color drop in on the vertical or horizontal but the AI gets that luck too often for my taste
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    From the same developers that say Moonstone is underrated and underused? They can say whatever they want, I know what I see and experience. Either the AI "knows" what is off screen or tiles are being generated in their favor

ps I didn't say they cheat, but tiles fall in their favor far too often. I've never had 6 of the same color drop in on the vertical or horizontal but the AI gets that luck too often for my taste

1. The dev who said that said that it was more of an offhand / fun comment (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19515#p254200), as it reasonably should be.
    2. Even if he was being serious, theres a huge difference between being out of touch with what characters are balanced / imbalanced (which is somewhat subjective) to blatantly lying to your customers about how core game mechanics work (which is just a really a **** thing to do).
    fmftint wrote:
    They can say whatever they want, I know what I see and experience.

Here's a thought, try filming yourself playing MPQ for an extended period of time, and watch that video and actually count the number of times you and the opponent has had a major cascade. Chances are that they have with roughly the same frequency, but your mind is playing tricks on you and making you only remember the times when it hurts you (aka, the ones that the AI gets on you).
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    the door swings both ways, obviously one no is going to complain when they get **** wrecking cascades, sometimes I get cascades so good I can end the match by turn 3-4. AI has the same chance as we do to do the same thing, but to be honest, because AI is about as smart as a brick, human players have better potential to cause big cascades since we can manage powers better, make different shaped 5+ matches and so on.

AI isn't cheating, don't get your feathers ruffled over a brick getting occasionally lucky.
  • I think this issue pops up because people aren't as good as they think and they do not realize that the AI punishes you greatly for making a crucial mistake. Obviously missing any match 4+ or making a move that leads to a match 4+ next turn is bad, but even if you have a move that lets the enemy cascade into a match 4, that's still plenty bad because there aren't that many available moves on a MPQ board any time. A lot of time I'll see the AI do a cascade into match 4 and wonder why they become so smart and then I thought about the board and there was only 3 available moves so that's a 33% chance they'll guess the best move.

Although the human player should be the aggressor (because you move first) there are times where you should be on the defensive and just stick to making very safe matches near the top of the board. Generally speaking if you see a board state that suggests there ought to be a very good move (lots of same color tiles clumped together) but you can't figure it out, you need to either break up that cluster or at least not disturb it, because if you made any mistake there the AI will definitely take the resulting match 4+ move you give them.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    Also, remember that most people tend to prioritize one or two colors. Immediately following a human turn, the board is more likely to have greater saturation of the remaining 5 colors. The result is maybe a percentage point or two in favor of AI cascades, but even a few percentage points make a difference when you're looking at the number of Turns involved in the average player's game sessions.
  • You should be getting plenty of cascades yourself.

Use board clearing chars instead of just damage dealers. Also if you're not seeing how your move plays out once the tiles fall - before you actually move - you're doing it wrong.

Based on the first few moves the AI makes, you can tell which colors it's going for. Set the AI up to make dumb moves. At least the AI ALWAYS goes for the match 4 instead of the "T" formation that gives an extra move.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:

I've had that happen in my favor before. It rocks. Yeah it sucks when the AI gets that lucky but as much as both sides get cascades, I don't think that kind of thing is that frequent.
  • fmftint wrote:
    While waiting for Thick as Thieves nodes to reset I decided to run a couple Sims. First match, 2 moves in I've generated 6 ap. The AI in the same number of moves? 47 ap! In 2 turns
    8 yellowtile.png
    7 redtile.png
    7 bluetile.png
    5 greentile.png
    4 purpletile.png
    10 blacktile.png
    6 tutile.png

This is not an unusual occurrence

Hmm so what? The AI isn't allowed to have any cascades? Or once they go above a certain amount of cascades it's hard coded that they will not get anymore ap or damage? Do you realise how silly that sounds? Sure we're all unhappy when we get our butts handed to us by a massive cascade, but by and large it doesn't happen nearly as much as you think. You just notice the ones that fall against you more.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fmftint wrote:

Then you either haven't been playing long, or weren't paying attention. I assure you that they happen to players. I've had row fulls or near-full just about as frequently as the AI gets them, considering that the AI makes many more match-4s than me (since I can see L and T shaped match-5s). It happened to me today, as a matter of fact, I had 6 horizontal same-color gems fall in after clearing a row. In green. While I was playing X-Force on a tough PvE node.

It was glorious.

(Edited for grammar.)
  • I will also say that I feel that the AI cascades are fine as they are. Yes the AI does get lucky cascades every now and then but can anyone who has played for longer than a week say that they have NEVER gotten a lucky cascade? I have been playing for 20+ days but have also noticed that unless a possible 5-match is in a straight line I have never seen the AI go for that and always see a 4-match chosen from it instead.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OK, maybe I can help with this one.

I recorded every match I played for 2 months, (and it was a lot. I think I may have problem). After watching them back, and watching certain ones in slow motion, I have come to 2 conclusions.

1). The cascade ratio was 44% for me, and 56% for the Ai. Close enough to even to conclude it is mostly luck.

2). Watching a bunch of Ragnarok matches in slow motion and counting all the tiles, I have concluded that the display screen does not always keep up. If Rags got 8 green in a cascade, the display would only show 2 or 4 sometimes. Which made it appear the Ai did not have enough Ap to use certain powers when they actually did.

To D3, please do Not change anything. In the current PvE, Thick as Thieves, I was playing node V with Ares, Empiricist, and Bullseye. All over level 200. I made one match, then the Ai made one. I made my 2nd which caused a critical, which gave me another turn, which gave me a critical, and another turn, and so on. I got 6 cascades with critical hits 6 times in a row which gave me enough Ap to use my XF green and black and Steve Rogers red. Then it was game over. It was soooo beautiful icon_e_biggrin.gif .

Which just goes to show you, it's mostly luck.
  • If it's 44% you and 56% AI then it's a huge advantage to the AI because the human always goes first, which means the human always have the first pick on the initial board and quite often the first major cascade also kills the cascade potential of the board by taking all the good stuff. Without having a further breakdown of the matches it is impossible to tell whether this is because the computer is better because it's more skilled, or the human is less skilled, or that human fatigue has a far more effect than most people think (there are a lot of times where I thought I'm supposed to get two moves in a row without stuns), or whether fights against guys like Ragnarok or Juggernaut naturally greatly favors the AI in terms of cascades, especially if they've the appropriate AP pump.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If it's 44% you and 56% AI then it's a huge advantage to the AI because the human always goes first, which means the human always have the first pick on the initial board and quite often the first major cascade also kills the cascade potential of the board by taking all the good stuff. Without having a further breakdown of the matches it is impossible to tell whether this is because the computer is better because it's more skilled, or the human is less skilled, or that human fatigue has a far more effect than most people think (there are a lot of times where I thought I'm supposed to get two moves in a row without stuns), or whether fights against guys like Ragnarok or Juggernaut naturally greatly favors the AI in terms of cascades, especially if they've the appropriate AP pump.

Couple things to point out here...

1). Human fatigue may very well be part of it. I can't tell you how many times I get going and don't pay as much attention as I should. I will often make a match 4 only to see a match 5 up in the corner at the last second. But it's too late at that point. Or hitting the wrong power, (MN Mags blue instead of CStorm wind storm for example, icon_cry.gif I hate when I do that). The computer is always paying attention and does not get tired. So you are definitely right about that.

2). This is based only on my games and my play style. This is was not done as close to an actual scientific study as I could have made it, but more of me being so danged curious and always over analyzing and over thinking things. That and I have way too much free time and I'm way too addicted to this game icon_e_biggrin.gif . Also, I can't stand someone trying to cheat me, so I had to know for sure if it was or not.

3). Technically, it was 44.377% me and 55.623% Ai. But less than half of 1% didn't really make a difference. icon_e_wink.gif

So not only does human fatigue have more of an effect than most people realize, (I didn't notice just how bad it was for me until I watched a few replays. I would see a better move while watching than the one I made while playing and wonder how I missed it), but also, players sometimes forget, (myself included), just how cheap Juggs and Rags powers are.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had one yesterday where the AI was down to one character on <100 life, I had full health and just generated 14 green for Call the storm, the AI got a 47 cascade with 6 X 5 matches let go about 8 abilities then got another 22 cascade with 4 match 5 and then went on to win. Ive played over a thousand hours of this game and that has never happened on my side of the fence.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the amount of Ap I got from my first move.
    zkmlqp.png

And I think I have a free turn because there was a match 5.
  • cascades are what they are. they'll happen for you or against you. one can always complain or...one could laugh and be amused that sometimes, tinykitty happens. i opt for the latter and while AI cascades used to infuriate me, they no longer do as i find them rather fun now, see this thread-

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18453
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Swings and roundabouts here. At time I am like Jesus H Christ you cheating mother smallfelines, other time I am firing off one ability after another.

For me it is fine.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Our brains are so full of cognitive biases there is no way to make accurate statements about such things (ask any gambler if he made or lost money this year)

You would have to do like that guy and record your games and check the data.

If this posts is just your way to vent after a bad loss, yeah it sucks to get plastered by a team of 2* in PvP
  • I save this picture from last nights PvE just for a time like this

Firstmove2_zps5580e44b.jpg

Did not quite do the 14K damage I needed in one turn to kill the whole team and this was without any boosts on my part. I have cast Judgement x1 Molotov Cocktail x 2 and Retribution x 1 before my turn finished. Never seen the AI pull that off in a single turn and I still have a match to make but I could not find one to do the remaining 1400 damage to Rags the purple match at the bottom with espionage did not quite do it.