Lets analyze the state of the Women of Marvel

Options
dkffiv
dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So for the Women of Marvel month (and the news of the impending balance changes) I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at how the women are fairing. With Professor X's release there will be 3 women out of 8 4* (37.5%), 8 out of 35 3* (22.9%), 4 out of 14 2* (28.6%), and 3 out of 7 1* (42.9%). 18 out of 64 characters (28.1%) total. That's not necessarily a bad thing as there are probably a lot more popular male characters than female, just thought I'd point out the numbers.

List of Women:

1*
Black Widow (MBW)
Storm
Yelena Belova

2*
Black Widow (OBW)
Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel)
Moonstone
Storm

3*
Black Widow (GSBW)
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Mystique
Psylocke
She-Hulk
Squirrel Girl
Storm

4*
Elektra
Invisible Woman
Thor (4hor)

I will be expressing my opinion on the characters in comparison to other characters of their rarity and how well they fit in for a player at that progression level. Feel free to reply with your own thoughts on the characters.

Very Good
OBW - Still essential for 2* players and very good with transitioning 3* players.
Thor (4hor) - With the nerfs I think she still manages to be top tier but it may be borderline now.

Good
1* Storm - Very good character for 1* land.
2* Storm - Magneto nerf will hurt her but she's still one of the best 2*.

Playable
MBW - Good 1* that still gets usage as a Team Up for alliancemates. Her purple could use an AP reduction.
Mystique - I think she's borderline good, if her purple was targetable and masterstroke was either cheaper or didn't eat the shapeshift tile she would be a lot better.
GSBW - One of my favorite purples, she's on the borderline of needing a buff (a cheaper more effective red would help a lot).

Needs a minor buff
Captain Marvel (both versions) - Red needs some help. Should be able to destroy all types of special (except CD) tiles and either have a higher base damage or generate AP for or deal bonus damage per special tile destroyed.
Elektra - Probably decent on her own but being a 4* means she's extremely expensive for a "decent" character. If traps couldn't be removed by the creation of enemy traps/special tiles her red would be a lot better, barring that I would rather it be switched to just a regular attack tile. As suggested by other players, her purple would be very good if it also stole attack and protect tiles and gave the enemy **** versions in exchange (nullifying Luke Cage and Iron Fist).
Gamora - A cost reduction in black might be all she needs. Red could use a little extra damage but if her black is easier to cast then the strike tiles will make up for it and green's poor damage.
Moonstone - I would like for purple to be able to target a special tile and its destination (only target a tile for destruction if no special tiles are present) and for black to be significantly cheaper.
Psylocke - Decent kit, needs a revamp on her blue and could use some number tweaks on red and black.
She-Hulk - Red is amazing, green is probably serviceable but her blue could use the Elektra treatment of working if no special tiles are present.
Squirrel Girl - I haven't played with her so I'm not 100% sure she's underpowered but assuming she needs some help, I'd have her yellow stun herself for 1 turn and the target enemy for 3 rather than ending your own turn. In the simulator her purple was hitting fairly hard (maybe increase base damage and decrease the scaling based on how many enemy special tiles are out) and I don't have enough experience with her green to know if it needs changing.

Needs serious help
Invisible Woman - When attempting to test her Invisibility my 270 IW got decimated by a 140 (pre-nerf?) Ragnarok. Her abilities are extremely expensive and not very effective and she has less hp (8220!) than a lot of 3*'s. Needs a complete overhaul.
3* Storm - Some people argue that she's fine/very good when she's paired with 4hor, but now that 4hor's getting nerfed she's in an even worse place. Terrible hp, terrible yellow and a now underpowered black. For being that squishy she should be extremely dangerous (like the Hood or 2* Storm) and she just isn't.
Yelena Belova - Her purple is 3 more AP than an already overpriced MBW AP steal and all you gain is a very minor amount of damage. Her black is a little expensive and not really suited for a 1* hero. That ability on a 3* would be very nice (hell give it to Moonstone and she might be elevated to playable tier).

We've all been expressing our feelings toward the pending "balance" changes but I would have much rather read about 3-5 women getting buffed in addition to the 5 characters getting nerfed. All nerfs and no buffs leaves little to get excited about.

Comments

• Thanks for writing this up! This is what's bothering me about the nerf to 4Thor- even though I don't have a usable 4Thor (only 1 cover), I'm upset that the only powerful tanky female character in the game is getting nerfed so hard. I understand that more characters with charged tiles may be incoming, but it looks to me like it'll be hard for her to be powerful on her own now. Most of the other female characters in the game are either not good (She-Hulk, Yelena, IW), are very close to being good but not quite there (ex. Captain Marvel, Psylocke, Gamora, Moonstone), are support characters (OBW), or are glass cannons with high damage powers but low health (GSBW, 2* Storm). 4Thor changed that pattern, at least before this nerf. This game really needs more good female characters.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good writeup! I also haven't had a great deal of experience with Squirrel Girl, but my impression is that she isn't underpowered; her utility is just HEAVILY dependent on who she's teamed up with. Sort of like R&G.