Iron Fist Buyback - Policy Update For New Characters

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

We wanted to let you know about our new buyback policy regarding newly-released MPQ characters.

If a new character has been added to the game, and changes have been made to that character's abilities within 30 days of the character's initial release, we will be offering a full Hero Point and Iso refund for any covers that were purchased directly or gained through Comic Packs.

*Please note: The increased buyback goes into effect only after the changes are live in-game. If, after playing with the newly-balanced character, users are unsatisfied, they can contact Customer Support. After verification and the player has sold the character, CS will refund in-game any additional Hero Points and Iso that was spent on the character.

*Also note: This additional refund does not apply to progression or placement rewards earned through PVE & Versus Events. The normal increased buyback, set up for any updated character, already takes these into account.

Using Iron Fist as an example; after the changes to Iron Fist go into effect (planned for 3/23/15), play with the character for a bit and try out the updates. If you are still dissatisfied, submit a ticket to Customer Support in-game (gear icon/Help/Contact Us) or here and be prepared to sell off the character. CS will provide you with a full Hero Point and Iso refund for any covers that were purchased directly or gained through Comic Packs and used to level the character.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey All,

Miles from Demiurge here. Due to a miscommunication, the increased sell prices for updated characters Thor (Goddess of Thunder), Magneto (Marvel NOW), Mystique (Raven Darkholme), and Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) did not make it in game yesterday with the updates to their powers. These increased sell prices should be coming in an update today (3/24/15). Sorry for the inconvenience!

~Miles

Comments

• Bravo to you guys for actually coming out with a formal policy.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can you please clarify something.

In this example, if I got an IF cover from a token would I get 1250 HP for the cover, or just the HP cost of a token. Although the former is probably the answer, it's not explicitly stated.
  • Wait, so you can't just roll back the HP you spent while keeping the characters? I bought 3 purple covers for 3750 HP. I still want Iron Fist but I'm not in a hurry to max him out in his balanced state, so it sounds like you can't just roll back the 3 purple covers? I don't mind if the iso/level I put in him are lost when his cover gets reduced.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    So, you have to completely sell it off? If you earned 11/13 covers in-game, then bought the last two, you can't get just the last two deleted and refunded? Just making sure.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    be prepared to sell off the character

so that's 5 days of grinding, 3 days of shieldhopping / climbing etc, but hey you get your HP back at least for anything you BOUGHT.
  • If there's a logistical issue with rolling characters back, why not just reset the character to 1/1/1 base level (or even 1/0/0 if certain color covers were never present) and then refund?
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What?????

You have to sell off the whole character? That's insane

Come on now. You could have instituted a policy that works and that everyone would actually be happy with and instead you went with this weird full nuclear option. Just because you don't want to put HP into a character doesn't mean you don't want the initial covers that you earned though the Events.

Think this one through...

*edit* - This is also an issue because of things like essentials and Deadpool's Daily.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to tell the community to stop complaining. D3 is willing to give a full refund of covers you purchased if you sell the character. If you choose to keep the character that must mean you still want him, because let's see IF is still very good. To complain that you want HP back for 2 covers that you bought, it silly. D3 is taking the correct stance in saying if you are not satisfied with the character feel free to sell him back to us and they will give a full refund. I personally will not be selling my IF as he is still really powerful.

Please stop complaint about this as d3 is more likely not to give such an appropriate refund in the future if all we do is complain about the refund they give us.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Wait, so you can't just roll back the HP you spent while keeping the characters? I bought 3 purple covers for 3750 HP. I still want Iron Fist but I'm not in a hurry to max him out in his balanced state, so it sounds like you can't just roll back the 3 purple covers? I don't mind if the iso/level I put in him are lost when his cover gets reduced.

Yea, but they don't have that function and it would be too burdensome to send the appropriate covers and iso to put the character back the way it was before purchasing covers.

Sorry, seems can't have your cake and eat it too.

But hey, it's not perfect, but it's a large step forward.
  • So what you're essentially saying is "If you don't like the character changes, you have to sell it off altogether."

Why not just make it so that it's respecced? for instance if i want to change my ifist from 355 to 553, change the cover coordination altogether!

There should be an option for this instead of selling the character off wholesale...
  • spydoorman
    Options
    Upon closer inspection of the sacred text I think i have it deciphered.

You WILL be required to sell your IF ingame through the "boosted buyback" just like Rags, Mags, etc in addiition you will need to Email support. The standard buyback mechanic covers the "progression covers" at the normal buyback rate. Support will then send a seperate refund of the remaining Full price ISO/HP.

Someone in Red, please clarify.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Wait, so you can't just roll back the HP you spent while keeping the characters? I bought 3 purple covers for 3750 HP. I still want Iron Fist but I'm not in a hurry to max him out in his balanced state, so it sounds like you can't just roll back the 3 purple covers? I don't mind if the iso/level I put in him are lost when his cover gets reduced.

Yea, but they don't have that function and it would be too burdensome to send the appropriate covers and iso to put the character back the way it was before purchasing covers.

Sorry, seems can't have your cake and eat it too.

But hey, it's not perfect, but it's a large step forward.

Yeah, I started thinking this might be a functionality issue. Then why not replace your character with a 1/0/0 base level character and then refund whatever they were going to refund? I can't think of how you can abuse this and it'd ensure you still have the character left for essentials. Since they have to verify that you indeed sold someone already, instead of verifying that step, instead make that step replace all your character (if you have more than one) with a loaner equivalent and it should be the same amount of work.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, there goes everyone's theory that d3 is trying to bait and switch or rob players.

:^)
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:

I think the closest to a rollback that they could pull off would be to validate that you sold the character and then stream a pile of rewards to you in the form of:
    HP for purchased covers
    replacement Iron Fist covers for the colors and quantity that you won through progression and placement
    the ISO equivalent of what you would have spent leveling the character (less whatever ISO you got from enhanced sale)
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Please have this announcement or reference this specific forum thread in-game.

It's going to be slightly annoying (and very inaccurate) when the company uses the buyback metrics to justify decisions, when most of the player base isn't going to know of this process.
  • Phantron wrote:

I think the closest to a rollback that they could pull off would be to validate that you sold the character and then stream a pile of rewards to you in the form of:
    HP for purchased covers
    replacement Iron Fist covers for the colors and quantity that you won through progression and placement
    the ISO equivalent of what you would have spent leveling the character (less whatever ISO you got from enhanced sale)

Yeah, I thought about that, and if that's too much work, just the HP for purchase cover and a single cover for the character would do. I wouldn't mind if they're willing to do more, but I think I can live with that and it shouldn't be any more work than verifying that you've already deleted the character.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So only new covers will have this benefit?

What if an existing heros abilities are changed / covers bought within one month?

The answer for this question should be mentioned in this policy.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Implementing an option to reset a character to a pre-bought status is probably way more complicated than making the sell all option. Perfect would mean rollback for the character to it's previous state and money back, not just hero points. It's not perfect but a good start, thanks.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the risk of being curt (and likely very unpopular) I daresay everyone ought to be thankful they're getting this much. It seems to be the case that D3 could just as easily tell you to get bent and be done with it. It's a step in a better direction.
  • Though everyone can make mistake / change their mind / adapt to a new situation, it can not be always at the expense of the customer / player.

Iron Fist :

At first sight, IF showed to be strong (he was not OP though, unless you pre-boost the match).

If you boost, the situation is dramatically different, as you can win turn 0 with him. So the problem is not IF, but boosts. Boosts have been the major problem of all crazy combos. Yet, the boosts are still here to screw everything and game design includes the boost factor.

IF's power was discussed on the forums, but nothing changed.

Many players willing to have an efficient character quickly bought covers. And there lies the problem. As Phantron said, many would not have maxed him so quickly if he had been different. You can't change anything from someone's roster, so you can't "buyback" the covers which were paid for. You'd still need to compensate for your mistake (because it was a design mistake).

Gthor :

A nerf after 4 months of use on a 4* character that can cost someone several hundred of $ ? Though it was discussed on the forum that the charged tiles were a big thing (Anniversary Week) ?
    You waited till most of the playerbase maxed her (many buying covers and/or Iso) to make a change about something that was obvious since day 1 ?

Troll mode on
    Devs :
    when are you going to start playing the game competitively ? And stop telling us about the great 2* combos you're using at the Office ?
    When are you going to grind PvEs to rank Top 5 to get a 4* character that might be nerfed ?
    When are you going to sense some kind of responsibility to the money we are dumping into this game ?

Besides, you are nerfing a character that thousands of players won in a PvE and they had to have sleepless nights for a week !
    And you are offering to refund cover and Iso purchased if we sell Gthor (meaning deleting her from the game) ? You can't be serious.
    Troll mode off

Mystique/Mmag :

Fair enough explanation. Infinite combos are broken. Nothing more to add there. I was not playing the combo, though I was building a second Mystique for that purpose.

Now, about the upcoming situation :

1) If the top tier metagame doesn't change : fair enough with GThor nerf EXCEPT for the yellow nerf that was indeed useful in PvE (what are you going to do with the scaling then ?)
    2) If the top tier metagame changes : there is a problem. GThor will lose a considerable part of her usable value. What will you do ?

Everyone knows (including devs) that one can't sell a character if he wants to play "normally" in MPQ. Every character will be needed one day or another. So it was not a gesture to implement this new policy. Many must remember Sentry and how they regretted to have sold him...

30 days policy :

You are creating a new policy that enables you to nerf a character Day 31 without any compensation.
    Nice gesture !
    Reading your EULA, the customer has absolutely NO right whatsoever. I was amazed to read this. You make no distinction between a F2P player and a paying customer. Legally speaking, each of them do not have the same rights.
    Though I understand that the nerfs could have dramatic consequences if you took the customers seriously, the EULA are just wrong.

So in brief, this policy update is not satisfactory at all.