Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Unknown
Unknown GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS
edited January 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey All,

Please use this thread to share your thoughts with the rest of the community regarding the upcoming Thor/Wolverine changes. Here is a link to the announcement for reference:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2636

Thanks

Comments

• 1. I think I may need to respec my Thor (he's currently 3/5/3) though I'm not sure yet. Is this coming?
    2. Is 5/5/3 now the optimal Wolverine build?
  • I like it.

Kinda want to respec my Thor though.
  • So Colossus is coming? Is that the takeaway here? It's so hard to see the forest with all of these trees around.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Ghast wrote:
    So Colossus is coming? Is that the takeaway here? It's so hard to see the forest with all of these trees around.
    Possible, yes. Not planned for the immediate future. Next upcoming X-Men character is someone else. icon_e_smile.gif
  • How much of a selling price increase are we talking here?
  • Ugh accidentally deleted my post, I'll retype it in short:

I think the changes are fine. Feral Claws now has some kick to it as a base ability. Still generates decent strike tiles. Still a powerful character.

Respec would be nice though because 5/5/3 seems ideal for Wolverine now as he's more of a first option on offense (the increase in red power but decrease in AP) and his ability to tank has been reduced significantly.

Thor:

Good changes overall. Red still powerful, still quick. Yellow has been reduced significantly in power which I think is fair. The massive increase in green tile production is nice. He's now a better alternative to Rag, since he generates more greens which lead to a far more powerful green ability than Rag's.

Good overall. Obviously both characters slightly weakened but the changes are not overall negative.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2014
    Does Wolvies 2* change in yellow indicate anything about Patch's yellow?
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Overall very decent adjustments. Only thing I would comment on is I hope a respec option is coming because I for one want to have 5 in green for Thor and I am sure many others feel the same.

Problem is 90% of the daily players are at lvl 85 and to pour that much iso into a new thor seems unreasonable.

Overall great job. No complaints with the adjustments.
  • Looks like fun! I am excited to try them out!

I love how mindful the developers are of the characters powers and how they translate that into the gameplay. So much thought is put into them - knowing what they were going for in each hero/villain is a real treat.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2014
    Now that these changes are in place, im still not sure if rags is in a good position compared to thor: shouldnt rags have better abilities since its a 3* cover and should be a sidegrade to thor? As is it still seems like thor is superior.

The changes seem very reasonable: good job with them and communicating them to us early!
  • IceIX
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    1. I think I may need to respec my Thor (he's currently 3/5/3) though I'm not sure yet. Is this coming?
    2. Is 5/5/3 now the optimal Wolverine build?
    1. It's coming. I do not however, have a timeline. We want to make sure the system for that is extensible and robust and not just a new UI using Gorn Engineering to get it working.
    2. That's what I'd run personally. But I'm a "kill them before they kill you" type player.
  • IceIX
    Now that these changes are in place, im still not sure if rags is in a good position compared to thor: shouldnt rags have better abilities since its a 3* cover and should be a sidegrade to thor? As is it still seems like thor is superior.
    Keep in mind that Ragnarok is also still missing a third ability which will help him in utility and bring his power up another 26 levels.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Keep in mind that Ragnarok is also still missing a third ability which will help him in utility and bring his power up another 26 levels.

Ah, that would make more sense. Hopefully respeccing rolls around by then so that we can use if needed icon_e_smile.gif
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:

Does that mean Rags is getting another colour added in the future?
  • Seems pretty clear that 5/5/3 is the way to go for Wolverine now. The yellow heal is strong, but level 3 is quite good and I'd rather have the increased damage from red. Green still seems very good but not ridiculous. Thumbs up on this change.
    The ratio of Red AP to Red Strike tiles is also improved; you'll get more of them each time Wolverine goes feral.

I'm not seeing this though -- looks like still 1 strike + 1/5 red AP. Am I missing something?

Thor's red still quite strong, but I think now competitive with Rags' red. Tiny tiny kitty on Thor's new yellow! Holy bejeebus, 9 green is pretty sweet. Same with Call the Storm, that one is gonna hurt. Thor/Ragnarok, using Rags' red and Thor's yellow to feed into green, looks sick.

Oooooooooh.
  • IceIX wrote:

Rags is getting a third ability? Niiiice. This is a big night of announcements!
  • IceIX
    IceIX wrote:

Not any time soon, sorry. I still have some pins left to burst other bubbles left over from the R46 announcements if anyone else needs them.
  • IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Not any time soon, sorry. I still have some pins left to burst other bubbles left over from the R46 announcements if anyone else needs them.

It's just nice to know he will get one eventually. I thought he was permanently neutered at 2 abilities. You are blowing my mind tonight! So, is it a new x man? Or a new x woman? icon_cool.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only thing that shocked me there is the tile creation of Thor. 3 feels like it will have too little effect on the board and 9 feels the opposite.

Although it does seem in line with widow being able to place 6 tiles strategically so maybe.

I like the regen being based on matching, but I think it should have an effect, even diminished above 50%. It only takes effect on matches, so even at 30% efficacy above 50% health it would still be a useful match. It's how rewarding the play feels as opposed to any major defect.

I don't know if there is a design philosophy that states that yellow can generate other colours in quantity but other colours cannot produce significant yellow. If that is the case then fine, but if you one day introduce a character who can produce quick yellow then Thor's ability could imbalance things.
  • Will Patch's yellow be adjusted to be in line with 2* wolverine's yellow in future?