The MMR change during a holiday weekend is a huge **** move

Options
Honestly, this is just not how people who give a <no avoiding the profanity filter; you know better> about their costumers conduct their business.

Did nobody raise their hands and say "They hated the last time we messed up the MMR, should we do it when nobody is here to do something if it goes really wrong?"

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think it's malicious so much so as they don't seem to bother to take things under rigorous high-end testing before pushing them out.

I think these guys are pretty inexperienced running a successful game such as MPQ. They're not used to things operating so differently on low and high end play, and they roll things out after doing minimal in-house testing.

The real solution is to take a portion of high end players and offer them testing accounts / to play on test servers with their real accoutns for a time before a new change is pushed through.

As is, I think they're putting things out without any real perspective on how it will actually play out in practice as opposed to how they think it might in theory. This would fix that.
  • F'ing up is fine. Everyone will every once in a while. Its something entirely different to do it before everyone leaves on vacation. You'd have to be an idiot to think it's a good idea to make significant changes to how the game works and just leave for days, specially since you've tried similar changes in the past and it resulted in a disaster.

I'm sorry Arondite but while it might not be malicious, it's for sure neglectful.
  • Isn't this the second time this has happened?
  • Has anyone got any idea how much money this game makes? I'm guessing its a lot. They stopped being awesome bedroom coders sometime around the first million and then moved into a the realms of a proper business. I used to do legacy systems for a bank, I would love to see the faces on my bosses if id told them I was going to roll out a bunch of integration just before everyone went off on holidays and there would be no one in the office if it went wrong.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    All weekend I've wanted to use much stronger language than you have.

I still don't think I can relate to them what an egotistical prick move this was, without expanding my vocabulary to include profanity from multiple languages.
  • Considering that they spent the last week of the season putting in other untested changes (variety of buffed chars), you'd think there would be a recognition on their part that pulling this **** on a PVP to award a new character would have an oversized impact as compared to doing it for Mororo rewarda, as Ben Grimm mentioned in his own thread.

If they want to experiment more with this kind of ****, maybe they should expand the offseason to be longer than 4 days.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Teke184 wrote:
    Considering that they spent the last week of the season putting in other untested changes (variety of buffed chars), you'd think there would be a recognition on their part that pulling this **** on a PVP to award a new character would have an oversized impact as compared to doing it for Mororo rewarda, as Ben Grimm mentioned in his own thread.

If they want to experiment more with this kind of ****, maybe they should expand the offseason to be longer than 4 days.
    Doing the change with an event for Storm rewards might end up with a result they don't like. By doing the MMR change with a new character, the devs data can claim the "data" showed people played despite the change. It's like Will posting about the "data" from the multiple buffed characters and how it showed more variety, but more variety was going to result regardless because of the 4Thor, Mystique, and MN Mags rewards.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As someone who has written and supported software at 24X7 shops for over 30 years I can tell you what they are doing is defined by management not the IT staff.

That said this sort of release schedule is totally unprofessional and shows a total lack of IT knowledge on behalf of management, never mind understanding an MMO. Not that I haven't run into this before.

Rules for releasing:

1) NEVER EVER release anything on Fridays. Ever. A Friday release schedule means IT pushes the button and runs out the door hoping for the best. A Holiday weekend is even worse because many of them will be out of town or have plans and won't answer phones ect. Plus it takes forever to get everyone together to look at the issue. Eventually the good staff will leave because they don't appreciate this treatment.

A mid week - at the beginning of the day release - means if there are problems IT is already there working and can jump on it immediately. IT is happy, customers are happy, it is a win-win. Why upper managers are too stupid to figure this out (even when you explain it to them in small words) is beyond me.

2) You have to test the hell out of everything before releasing it, or get used to losing customer base. Most of the events do not exactly break new ground lol. They are recycling old events. When you install something new at any IT shop should first pass unit, QA and UAT testing. Where is the UAT testing?

They have free labor available to do it. I'm sure they have a test server (if they are doing any testing they better). So why wouldn't they leverage this to get a better product?

3) See rule one.

3)
  • You think that if they changed the MMR in the middle of the week and got this feedback they'd "do something about it" before the end of the event? You've been playing this game and observing d3p for HOW long?
  • _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    Don't worry guys. They (d3) will show up here around thursday, apologise and give us 3 tokens. All will be good icon_e_wink.gif Moonstone/750iso is on they way icon_e_wink.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Purely speculation on my part here, but I think the MMR change was implemented for a number of reasons:

a) it's holiday weekend, and that may translate to less active players. If MMR is a big stinker, less of the player base will be affected.

b) since it's the aforementioned holiday weekend, D3 will be excused for twiddling its collective thumbs while the hardcore players suffer through MMR Hell.

c) players are so mesmerized by pushing for Kingpin in pve that there will be less participation in IM40 pvp event.

d) since IM40 pvp is just the first event of the season, it's the ideal time to tinker w/ the MMR formula and make adjustments afterwards.

Again, this is purely theory, but I'm trying to see the angle for this change from Will & Co. and this is what I came up with. icon_e_geek.gif
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    MarCr wrote:
    Has anyone got any idea how much money this game makes? I'm guessing its a lot. They stopped being awesome bedroom coders sometime around the first million and then moved into a the realms of a proper business. I used to do legacy systems for a bank, I would love to see the faces on my bosses if id told them I was going to roll out a bunch of integration just before everyone went off on holidays and there would be no one in the office if it went wrong.
    estimated 8-9 million a year( making estimated ~$26,000 per day)
  • frostCoH
    frostCoH Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    MarCr wrote:
    Has anyone got any idea how much money this game makes? I'm guessing its a lot. They stopped being awesome bedroom coders sometime around the first million and then moved into a the realms of a proper business. I used to do legacy systems for a bank, I would love to see the faces on my bosses if id told them I was going to roll out a bunch of integration just before everyone went off on holidays and there would be no one in the office if it went wrong.
    estimated 8-9 million a year( making estimated ~$26,000 per day)
    Oh good then they can afford to put the damn +3AP boost back, and allow Roidneto to change TUP tiles to blue.
  • Thumbs up. D3 u straight up suck. Your player base is pissed.

no one likes u. fix this mess.

marc
  • Arondite wrote:
    I don't think it's malicious so much so as they don't seem to bother to take things under rigorous high-end testing before pushing them out.

I think these guys are pretty inexperienced running a successful game such as MPQ. They're not used to things operating so differently on low and high end play, and they roll things out after doing minimal in-house testing.

The real solution is to take a portion of high end players and offer them testing accounts / to play on test servers with their real accoutns for a time before a new change is pushed through.

As is, I think they're putting things out without any real perspective on how it will actually play out in practice as opposed to how they think it might in theory. This would fix that.
    To be fair, at least a few of the creators have admitted that they are still in the 2 star transition.

They have, literally, no idea what it is like to be a 1k+ scorer in this game. Because none of them play their game enough to get to that point.

Kind of sad, honestly.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we avoid the language, please? I get you're understand and you're venting your frustrations, but please ease up on the curses.
  • Can we avoid the language, please? I get you're understand and you're venting your frustrations, but please ease up on the curses.
    Sure, as soon as D3 starts using logic and common sense. Both of which appear likely to never happen.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the changes. 2*s dont get hammered constantly by 166+ and you can fight in your own pool. You just aren't happy because you lost easy mode. This is what was intended by the devs, so why not push it out. Of course ppl will be unhappy, but I hope they stick to their guns on this one.

And R.I.P. Snipers!!
  • Azoic wrote:
    I like the changes. 2*s dont get hammered constantly by 166+ and you can fight in your own pool. You just aren't happy because you lost easy mode. This is what was intended by the devs, so why not push it out. Of course ppl will be unhappy, but I hope they stick to their guns on this one.

And R.I.P. Snipers!!
    You can't be serious. If 2*'s start scoring higher than maxed rosters there will be no reason to level your characters and you will see a mass exodus of long time players. It's that's the goal of the developers then they are doing an amazing job of executing it.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Azoic wrote:

And R.I.P. Snipers!!

Sniping is more common and much easier now.

Please stop talking / posting until you've figured out at least the basics of top end play.