A retirement party! (Complete with gifts!)

Options
mischiefmaker
mischiefmaker Posts: 932
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Dear friends,

As with all good things, my time with MPQ has come to an end. I don't want to dwell overmuch on why this is so -- in my time on the forum I've always tried to avoid the negative, but if you're really interested, I've put my reasons in a spoiler tag:
Two reasons, really: time and progression. For me, getting meaningful rewards means hitting 900-1000 in PvP and hitting top 50 if not top 10 in PvE; a rough calculation estimates that this takes around 20 hours a week, not accounting for forum visits, chatting on LINE, or doing any of the work of running an alliance. I don't want to actually log my total hours spent on the game, but I suspect all told the number is probably close to a full-time job.

Now, that wouldn't be a problem -- I've certainly spent that much time on games before -- but unfortunately the state of the game is such that I've lost interest. I've spent my entire MPQ career chasing The Next Big Thing, from Ragnarok to Spider-Man to Patchneto to Sentry to X-Force to TGT, and then enjoying The Next Big Thing until it's time to chase The Next Next Big Thing. But with the nerf to TGT and the announcement that X-Force is still above the 4* power band, I simply don't see anything worth striving for any more.

Sure, it'll be fun to play with Kamala Khan or Professor X or Kingpin -- it's not like they suck -- but they won't be significantly more effective than my existing roster. If that's the future, then there's no more progression to be had, in which case what's the point of spending so much time just to keep up and not actually improve?
I'd like to thank a lot of people for making my time with MPQ so enjoyable. In no particular order:

- To all the forumites, past and present, who have contributed so much of their time and energy to adding humor, insight, strategy, and entertainment: thank you. I won't try to name everyone, but you know who you are. Your efforts help make this community what it is. I know it's not always easy to wade through the negativity and the invective, but keep fighting the good fight, and know that there are those lurking who appreciate what you do.

- To the hardworking staff at Demiurge and D3: thank you. I haven't always agreed with what you've done or the way you've done it, but at the end of the day you guys made a great game that provided me with literally thousands of hours of entertainment and held my interest for near a year and a half. I hope you guys all got super rich from the Sega acquisition and are now driving gold-plated Ferrarris because I've worked in the game industry and I know how hard it is to make a successful game and keep it alive for this long. Kudos to you. The forum gives you a lot of flak, and we're not usually very good about remembering that there are real people with real feelings at the other end of the line, but I appreciate your continuing efforts to incorporate our feedback while also doing what you think is right for the game. I wish you guys much success, and may your metrics forever go up and to the right.

- To all the members of my alliance, Chaos League, past and present: you guys are so awesome. It's been a great privilege to have been your commander these past twelve seasons. I'm incredibly proud of what we've built together: an alliance that's been top 100 every single season and has never missed a new release cover, ever...but I'm even more proud of how we've done it -- no drama, lots of silliness, and in all our time we've only ever had one person leave the alliance on bad terms. It's been a joy to watch our transition players filling out their 3* rosters and our 3* players finally finishing their XForces and Thors, and the thrill of seeing guys who were consistently scoring in the 600s finally break through to their first 1000 progression reward has been so fulfilling. Thank you so much for all your hard work in supporting your teammates and me. It's been an incredible journey and I feel lucky to have been a part of it.

- To all the wonderful alliances and people whom I've gotten a chance to know via LINE: thank you for having our little alliance and letting our minnows swim with your sharks. Some of my fondest memories of this game come from the coordination and cooperation that we've managed to forge together, and your acts of kindness and generosity for both me and my guys have been as heartwarming and spectacular as they have been unexpected. May all your shield-hops be snipe-free and your PvE clears be optimal.

Now, it wouldn't be a party without some parting gifts, would it? Throughout my time, I've found a bunch of tools to be very useful -- here, for the first time, I've collected them all for easy reference.

ISO/Level calculator - planning how much ISO you need to level a character to any level
Level cap calculator - knowing what soft level cap is for a given number of covers
Token spading spreadsheet - for getting numbers on the probability of pulling specific characters or rarities from tokens
Buyback data - how much iso and hero points you get back for selling off a changed character
Tile damage - knowing at what level characters tank colors for other characters
PVP score calculator - figuring out what someone is worth to you based on what he's worth to someone else

So long,
mischiefmaker

P.S. Some of you may be wondering what will become of character rankings. I'd like to do one last edition, but right now I really need a full break from the game -- perhaps once I've had a little time, I'll be motivated to finish that up. After that, it'll be up to someone else to pick up the torch!

Comments

• Legend. The rankings threads have been the best thing on these forums for some time. Enjoy retirement! (it's really, really hard to completely quit btw).
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah you're an absolute legend! This is a big loss to the community! I am pretty much retired for reasons very similar to those you post (and certainly enjoying retirement) but I had to come back on the board to say thanks again for your help getting to my last 4hor cover - and all the best icon_e_smile.gif
  • /salute
    Good fortune to you, Mischief.
  • Ouch...

Another dedicated and passionate guy leaving MPQ.

After Nonce, another big loss for the forum.

For your farewell edition, if you feel like it, please add the wonderful memes that you were adding in the first editions.

To make the work less straining, maybe you could take the "everyone knows" really bad characters like yelena, bagman and the ones who are planned to get a buff like IW, beast, doc oc...

Just a thought.

Other than that, thank you for ALL the work you've done to give some credit to this game.

You will be missed.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The ranking thread from last October was what made me discover the forum and was invaluable to me when I didn't know thor from bagman.

Thank you.
  • Your character rankings have been one of the forum's bright shining stars and will be sorely missed along with your presence and other contributions. However having recently scaled back my own play significantly I can relate to the conclusions you've come to and totally understand the need to step away and gain some perspective. Best of luck to you.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will miss seeing you in my queue almost literally every single PvP. Enjoy!
  • Godspeed you beautiful bastard
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I and everybody here at Demiurge really appreciate all the amazing things you've done for this community. Thank you. It's been a pleasure entertaining you, and you'll be missed.

I hope you might check back in with us at some point in the future and see if there's anything to rekindle your interest after you've had a well-earned rest from the game.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Good luck MM, you will be missed, I had fun hopping with you, and bringing our alliance members to 4* land!
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You will be greatly missed by the community as a whole.

Hopefully you still stick around Line to chit chat. :]
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A great player and a valuable member of the community. Best wishes to ya hope to see you back!
  • Stop stealing my reason for quitting.... give it back! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear you've stopped enjoying the game and just wanted to log on and thank you for your threads and tools which were all invaluable when i was playing.

Bonfire.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Your efforts have made the forums more enjoyable to visit and the game more understandable and fun. Thanks so much, you will be missed.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As many folks that will miss you MM, I can guarantee which 19 will miss you the most.

Thank you on behalf of all the Chaos League players/family, past and present.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fair winds and a following sea, Mischief.

You've been an outstanding mentor and example to everyone here on these forums, and you will be missed greatly.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    All the best to you, mischiefmaker!

Thanks for being such a valuable member of the community. Happy gaming wherever you may roam!
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The ranking threads have always been my favourite read on here. Later, dude.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Ah mischiefmaker! One of the best. It was a sad day when we couldn't get you to join SHIELD back in the day. You'll always be one of my favorite posters. Best of luck with everything.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not on the forums enough for anyone to know or care who I am, but mischiefmaker is probably the only reason I ever found this place, and his rankings threads went above and beyond "useful," or even "essential," to being downright awesome in every way. I can't think of a bigger loss to the community.