A new character?

Options
dkffiv
dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
No not Kamala. No not Kingpin. It looks like there might be 3 new characters released in a row (http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27134). Good thing you got covers for all of them or you'd be out of the loop for the next essential.

Comments

• Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    Lol, one of the biggest Marvel movies of the year is coming out in less than a month, not to mention the DD Netflix show this week for the Kingpin release. I dunno, it is frenetic, it is uber grindy and I'm seeing my month away from competitive PVE as a blessing since I will not be grinding for all these new characters.

It'd be nice if they would at least address why they are going at this insane pace, I don't know if they think releasing more characters increases interest or not, perhaps it does, but I know it has the complete opposite effect on me.
  • If the award bands weren't so freaking small, we wouldn't mind, but come on. Only 2% of the players can get the first 3 of13 covers which on their own still suck. Seriously this needs to be addressed before all of your real paying fans quit.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To address the concerns of roster costs and lack of ISO they increase character release rates
  • It makes sense.

You do need to grind all PvEs in order to get the next character.

So, you've missed Kamala ? You'll miss Kingpin, so you'll miss Unknown...

You still want to play the game after that ?

You certainly MUST love the Marvel Universe.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't even know what to say to back to back to back charcater releases when people have complained that even the every other week frequency was too much.

They seem determined to destroy the current playerbase's enthusiasm for this game. If that's the goal, they're doing very well.
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just fantastic. Another possible cover that can languish in my roster for months at a time until I get another one - at this rate, I'll max out all my current ones by 2040.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    To address the concerns of roster costs and lack of ISO they increase character release rates
    But they gave us DDQ to fix that!
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    71trf.jpg
  • I wanted Kingpin, but I chose the wrong time, and I just couldn't wake myself up for the grind. My bad. But really? Are we actually about to see a, "You didn't get the 4*, so you can't get the 3*" situation? I mean, I get it when there's a new 2*. Drag yourself through the mud. Get through it. Sell the one you didn't want.

But there's a difference here. Every other character intro event gives you one cover for 150th place. Then, if you don't have it for the next essential, it's because you didn't put in the required effort. Or you weren't strong enough, and you need to develop your roster. But to screw players out of the next new character because they couldn't make top 50 in the last event? That's a bit much. Can we not do this?

I don't need this new character, anyways. I have a good 3* roster, and I'm looking to build up to 4* now. But I feel like this is a bit too exclusionary, even for MPQ.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    this character release will also be followed with the normal week off, so nothing new next week.
  • turul wrote:
    this character release will also be followed with the normal week off, so nothing new next week.

Sorry, that's incredibly small comfort. "It's not four in a row" is not a real concession.

I'm assuming the game is in trouble. This is a really, really bad sign.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Options
    MikeG72 wrote:
    Just fantastic. Another possible cover that can languish in my roster for months at a time until I get another one - at this rate, I'll max out all my current ones by 2040.

At this rate, I won't max anything out but 2 stars. I can't even get the essential characters from the last PVE event anymore. Darn (keeping it PG) this 2* to 3* progression.
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in a 2 to 3 progression myself. Maxed out several 2s and have some 100+ 3s but it's a pain in the ... um... neck.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm glad for more characters. When you reach max covers for most 3*s, you need more to work toward.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can only assume that everyone who still forged on through 2 events will give up on the next event.

Or, ya know, the exact opposite will happen.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Options
    I want to clarify that I'm not complaining about having new characters, but I am saying that my progression is so slow that it will take me forever to get to "Easy Street". I do however want to say that at this point, we should have a different character progression system. The system that was established in the beginning was fine for then, but may need to be revamped to accommodate new and veteran players alike. Maybe there should be a tiered recruit token system such as a guaranteed 3* and up bracket that costs a bit more HP. Maybe there should be a direct buying system for characters. I am having fun even though it is getting tougher everyday. By the way D3, I agree with most here, keep the lightning rounds coming all the time.
  • Typically when they release a new *4, it`s only essential on 2 of the 3 Essential nodes.

So cold comfort, people should have access to one of the Essential nodes on this upcoming PvE. (huzzah?)
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    New characters isn't the problem per se, just the release cycle is a bit too much. Especially if you consider a new 4* will likely be essential for at least some of the nodes in the next new character release. We're already seeing folks who missed out on KK will not be abLe to hit top progression in the Kingpin PVE and still no red comment on it (intentional/new trend or a mistake).

The every other release cycle worked out since folks could take a break in between pve cycles and there are still a vast majority of players who still need existing covers. Having 3 new characters released in 4 weeks versus 3 new characters over 6 weeks makes a big difference for most folks. Ben Grimm's comment should've gotten more than a cryptic "we have our reasons" response, players appreciate at least a little bit of transparency considering the topic has been discussed in depth with more negative reactions than positive.
  • scottee wrote:
    I'm glad for more characters. When you reach max covers for most 3*s, you need more to work toward.

Said no one ever

I found the D3 spy
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    is this a good time to bring back the suggestion to give a loaner character in PVE essential nodes, the same way you do in PVP? seems like a really simple way to quell some of the forum rage and get people off the hamster wheel...so you are more free to pick and choose which characters you want to play for, without fear of getting locked out of a future event.