A discussion with D3 support

Options
So I sent an email to the support team about the character changes coming up. In that email I told them I was over 500+ days and had just finished maxing my xforce about an hour before I read the forum post about his nerf. I told them I wanted a full refund on every cent I had ever spent on the game. Now I wasn't expecting a refund but I just wanted to see what they said. I was interested in seeing how they would approach my request.

The first email I got from them explained how the characters weren't quite meeting the standards of the developers current design goals and their updated abilities should feel more in line with other characters making the game more balanced and interesting. A link to the forum was included with a final statement about how they have offered higher sell back rates on modified characters and no further compensation would be made.

I did not reply to this.

Then a few days later I got another email from them; (copied and pasted)

Greetings D3P Customer,
Thank you for contacting D3P Customer Support.
We're sorry you feel that Wolverine (X-Force) has been irreparably changed for the negative. We are normally unable to provide compensation beyond the normal enhanced sell-rate, but we would like to make a one-time exception to show our appreciation for your loyalty and support. If you spent Hero Points to directly upgrade any of your Wolverine (X-Force)'s powers after March 17th, we can offer to send these Hero Points back to your account if you are dissatisfied with the recent changes to the character.
Would you care to explore this option? If so, please sell the Wolverine (X-Force) character from your Roster AFTER the changes go into effect, then respond to this ticket informing us you have done so. Please do NOT sell this character before the changes go into effect, as your compensation will be delayed until after this time. Once we receive your reply, we will escalate your ticket to credit your account with the Hero Points you spent on upgrading this character's powers.
Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: www.d3publisher.helpshift.com
If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again and it will be a pleasure to help you.
Best Regards,
D3Publisher Customer Support Team (JDN)

I guess the only reason I posted this is because of the fact in my original complaint I told them I just finished maxing xforce. Is there something I missed in this email or is this just another example of D3 not paying attention to the customer?

Cheers.

Comments

• This is their generic response which 99% of the people received;

D3PA Customer Support (JN) (D3Publisher)

Hello D3P Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3P Customer Support.

Thanks for the feedback on the upcoming character changes. The characters weren't quite meeting the standards of the developers current design goals and their updated abilities should feel more in line with other characters, making the game more balanced and interesting.

The character changes have been listed in further detail inside the forum: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25305

If you find that you are unhappy with the recent changes, we do offer an bonus for selling recently changed characters. This bonus offer becomes active and lasts for a few weeks immediately after changes to a character go live and the offer includes an increased amount of Iso-8 and an additional amount of Hero Points that normally are not given when selling a character.

Level that modified characters start giving you Hero Points for selling:

2 Star Characters - Level 22
    3 Star Characters - Level 51
    4 Star Characters - Level 86

Upcoming game changes are previewed in forum Patch Notes before they go live. Many players find it helpful to keep an eye on the forums.

We have a lot of awesome new features coming online in the next couple of months and we hope that people will continue to provide feedback. Please play with this change over the next couple of weeks and then drop us a line in the forums to let us know what you think of it then.

If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
    D3P Customer Support Team
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    So if you bought one cover to get your XF to max and then dumped 400k+ iso to bring him to 270 you would be forced to sell him for very little, then they would compensate you for that one cover....ignoring the rest of your investment. Interesting. And pathetic. Sounds about par for the course.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also, you would lose the xforce covers you had obtained through daily rewards, random token draws and placement rewards. How is that fair? He is not worth buying covers, but he is still worth a spot for easy, normal nodes if you have him covered sufficiently.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The interesting bit here is that the second reply the OP received indicates that D3P/Demiurge must keep extensive non-anonymized records either of how you leveled the covers on a character, or on what you spend your HP...
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, we're assisting players who purchased covers for Wolverine (X-Force) within 4 weeks of the changes going live on 4/17. Try out the new X-Force after the changes. If you feel dissatisfied with the updates - contact Customer Support: https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

Customer Support will confirm your request and then let you know when to sell X-Force. After selling X-Force - in addition to the increased in-game buyback - we'll also refund any Hero Points spent in the last 4 weeks on upgrading the character's abilities.

Thanks!

*Edited for clarity. Please do not sell your X-Force until CS asks you to do so.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

Yes, we're assisting players who purchased covers for Wolverine (X-Force) within 4 weeks of the changes going live on 4/17. Try out the new X-Force after the changes. If you feel dissatisfied with the updates - contact Customer Support: https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

After selling X-Force - in addition to the increased in-game buyback - we'll also refund any Hero Points spent in the last 4 weeks on upgrading the character's abilities.

Thanks!

First, David, thanks for being here and providing all your feedback.

Having said that, it's a pretty safe bet that almost no one is going to be satisfied with X-Force after the update. I mean, we all knew he needed some tweaking. But instead, you gutted the poor guy. When Beast has a better Green Power, you know you are officially weak-sauce.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

After selling X-Force - in addition to the increased in-game buyback - we'll also refund any Hero Points spent in the last 4 weeks on upgrading the character's abilities.

Thanks!

The reason I posted this to the forum is simply because I mentioned in my first support email that I had xforce maxed and then this was sent to me a one time exception, to make me feel special as a loyal customer but it is completely useless and now being offered to everyone.

Seeing as I've been told I'm a loyal customer is there another offer you meant to send me but accidentally sent this one instead icon_e_wink.gif
  • I had a nightmare of a time getting an Iron Fist refund through support. Got the refund eventually, not sure it was worth the trouble though. Then stuck all of that and more into X-Force covers, just to do the same awful dance again? I don't think so.

Iron Fist is a new character, it must have been much easier to sort out the 3 of 4 covers I got from tokens. How in the world are they going to be able to properly compensate people for X-force? People should have an in game option to sell back the recent covers for full cover price and keep what is left of the X-Force after those covers are sold.

Support doesn't need the headache and neither do the customers.

You should get to keep the X-Force covers you had before recent purchases, even if you decide that you want to sell the recent ones.

Then are they going to just keep doing this over and over? You get a refund because of a nerf, then you invest it into the current best char, then it gets nerfed, and so on and so forth?
  • I like to feel like ive won stuff, even if in reality, I haven't. I bought 3 of my xforce covers and the rest were from packs and progression. Do you know how tricky it is getting the 4 star progression reward with a 3 star roster, the answer is quite to very. This cost me a lot of shields, to the extent that it probably would have been cheaper to just buy them and have an easy run. Will I be compensated for this layout of cash over time instead of dropped all at once? Will I ****.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Zoot wrote:
    Then are they going to just keep doing this over and over? You get a refund because of a nerf, then you invest it into the current best char, then it gets nerfed, and so on and so forth?

Ofcourse they are; there needs to be some kind of motor running to keep the veterans and whales in the money-spending loop...
  • Zoot wrote:
    I had a nightmare of a time getting an Iron Fist refund through support. Got the refund eventually, not sure it was worth the trouble though. Then stuck all of that and more into X-Force covers, just to do the same awful dance again? I don't think so.

Iron Fist is a new character, it must have been much easier to sort out the 3 of 4 covers I got from tokens. How in the world are they going to be able to properly compensate people for X-force? People should have an in game option to sell back the recent covers for full cover price and keep what is left of the X-Force after those covers are sold.

You should get to keep the X-Force covers you had before recent purchases, even if you decide that you want to sell the recent ones.

Obviously the answer is to bet on all the horses so even when you lose you win
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Zoot wrote:
    I had a nightmare of a time getting an Iron Fist refund through support. Got the refund eventually, not sure it was worth the trouble though. Then stuck all of that and more into X-Force covers, just to do the same awful dance again? I don't think so.

Obviously the answer is to bet on all the horses so even when you lose you win

Nice, so you lose even when you win. Because, the bets cost more than the winnings you get in return. For the analogy anyway.

For me, the win out of this, is realizing I was the hamster in a wheel. There are more wheels, even newer and better wheels, and even entirely different habitats. I can pick and choose them as I wish, that is the real win.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

Thanks!
    David,
    First I am going to give Xforce a try after the fun balancing D3 is giving him. I also want to say I appriciate the fact that D3 is looking. Do something to make players whole who spent HP in the 4 weeks leading up to this point. The problem with selling Xforce to get a refund is players have just sold a maxed out 4* character, and in order to win back said character 13 covers will take 6 months climbing to 1000 points in PVP spending shields, and ISO on boosts to do so. If someone just spent 5000 HP to get the last 2 covers of X force to max cover him they have to give back 11 covers they have won. This feels counter productive to the way the game is played. The reason people want a refund is the fact that they just spent money on these covers and now the power they thought they were getting is gone.
    Might I suggest an alternate option? If you spent HP on X force over the past 4 months you can get 1/2 the HP you spent by placing a ticket. You will be giving players the 4* cover for the price of a 3*. If they want a full refund, then they can sell him and get a full refund.
    D3 is right to feel a full refund should come with the character being sold but the players are right that this feels like a bait and switch if they just bought covers. There needs to be a middle ground instead of an all or nothing type game. D3 is trying, and I am asking you to bring this to them as an alternative. I don't know if the player base agrees with me, but I know I would hate to sell a cover that took me over a year to get 13 covers on.

Thanks
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CoolB76 wrote:
    I guess the only reason I posted this is because of the fact in my original complaint I told them I just finished maxing xforce. Is there something I missed in this email or is this just another example of D3 not paying attention to the customer?

I'm missing the bit where they are 'not paying attention'.

You told them you had just finished maxing your X Force. You got the generic email about character changes and then a more specific tailored response taking into account your 500 days and specifically addressing the fact that you had just invested in X Force.

Now maybe your interpretation is that you just spend the ISO to get him to 270, but when I read it I interpreted it as 'I just added the final cover(s) to him', which is I assume was their interpretation. So they were responding on how you could get a more expansive refund for your cover purchases.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

You told them you had just finished maxing your X Force. You got the generic email about character changes and then a more specific tailored response taking into account your 500 days and specifically addressing the fact that you had just invested in X Force.

Now maybe your interpretation is that you just spend the ISO to get him to 270, but when I read it I interpreted it as 'I just added the final cover(s) to him', which is I assume was their interpretation. So they were responding on how you could get a more expansive refund for your cover purchases.

Serious? I said I just maxed him. Thought it was pretty clear. I didn't say I had just covered him. I would have assumed that maxing him would be interpreted as covered and leveled in a one word description.

That would be paying even less attention to the customer had/if they made such an egregious assumption.
  • Hanzo0313
    Hanzo0313 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

Thanks!

Glad to see you here, David.

1. I asked the same question to Support team and got the same responds. However, I am so confused with what will I have in return if I sold 5/5/3 XF at April 18?
    2. After these nerf, who will want to buy covers? I am a relatively new player just got daily XF reward, and I think this can make my playing funny.
    So I spend some mondy for HP, and maxed XF when I have 3 colors. The game even tell me what will I have if I level up the skill!
    Don't you think this is very weird if this case happened to you? To the real world buying activities?
    3. What about the 3 colors cover as Daily Reward? Could we keep them?
  • CoolB76 wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

Serious? I said I just maxed him. Thought it was pretty clear. I didn't say I had just covered him. I would have assumed that maxing him would be interpreted as covered and leveled in a one word description.

That would be paying even less attention to the customer had/if they made such an egregious assumption.

To me your statement reads that you just leveled him to 270, but you are not clear on whether you purchased covers to be able to finish maxing him.

Additionally, you need to consider the fact that a CS rep does not necessarily play the game or have detailed knowledge of the game, so maxing could easily be interpreted by them as either iso or covers
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    So, in order to get a refund on the covers they bought, players have to completely sell the entire character including all of the covers they earned without spending HP?

Sounds pretty terrible to me.

Hey, so I'm in a similar boat with my 4Thor. How about we make a deal?

You give me back the HP I spent on 7 covers for her 1-2 weeks before the nerf was announced. You also let me keep all of the covers I've earned without HP. You also give me an extra cover of each color for the complete mess the whole damn thing has been.

Do that for people that spent HP on Xforce too.

No? Oh ok, it's totally cool I had the opportunity to sell the whole character for the great increased price of 2250 HP and some ISO. No worries here icon_rolleyes.gif
  • papa07 wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

To me your statement reads that you just leveled him to 270, but you are not clear on whether you purchased covers to be able to finish maxing him.

Additionally, you need to consider the fact that a CS rep does not necessarily play the game or have detailed knowledge of the game, so maxing could easily be interpreted by them as either iso or covers

I'm not intentionally trying to be a **** (cause I'm not 100% a ****)but I don't have to consider **** and you and Eddiemon are beginning to confuse the hell out of me with your nonsense. If I said the card is maxed then it's maxed, not part maxed, not half way there but fully maxed. How in the Sam hell can I get it to level 270 without the covers being maxed at 13? If your meaning to say it's not finished becuae I can still reallocate covers to different abilities then that has no real pertinance to this conversation.
  • CoolB76 wrote:
    I would have assumed that maxing him would be interpreted as covered and leveled in a one word description.
    This is where you are mistaken.

Lots of player cover 'max' their XForce, but keep him at lvl 221. You know what you mean by max, the problem is that we don't know for certain what you mean. Maybe in your original e-mail you said that you leveled him to 270, but that wasn't explicitly stated in your original post. It could very well be the case that support is or isn't listening but people are just asking questions to try to figure out what actually happened before judging one way or another.

None of us are trying to be ****, but just trying to point out where an honest misunderstanding could happen because of different usages of 'max' in the context of this game.