Who should be next in line for balancing?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
We already know who the developers have plans for. You know there's lots of other tweaks that need done. What do you think needs balanced and what are your priorities?

For me it's something like:
OBW needs taken down a notch - omg she's too awesome. Hate to say it but she exceeds 2* anything.

IM40 needs some tweaks. IMO his yellow is still worst ability to upgrade. None of his abilities are good at all, arguably his blue, but who would want an IM40 over an OBW or even a new Thor? Someone who doesn't know too well probably.

Bullseye / rags / Dr D / any other 2 ability characters need their 3rd skills. I would love to see all of those added ASAP.

Not much else to me seems too far out of line.

Comments

• There's several threads on this already, but OBW is fine as is. She's strong, but not broken. Her abilities are aggressively priced but still require several matches to be effective. Plus, she's squishy as heck. Target her first and by the time she's ready to fire off her recon, you just nuke her first.

With the expected removal of all 2 AP abilities, I suspect most of the upcoming balances will tend towards buffs. I'd like to see more people level their Daredevils and then get some usage feedback from IceIx or the other devs. I suspect he'll be in line for a buff a couple months from now.
  • The only 'imbalance' is the amount of characters that are ineffective versus one that are effective.

They should focus on that first.

OBW is fine. She's a support character that is effective.
  • Riggy wrote:
    There's several threads on this already, but OBW is fine as is. She's strong, but not broken. Her abilities are aggressively priced but still require several matches to be effective. Plus, she's squishy as heck. Target her first and by the time she's ready to fire off her recon, you just nuke her first.

With the expected removal of all 2 AP abilities, I suspect most of the upcoming balances will tend towards buffs. I'd like to see more people level their Daredevils and then get some usage feedback from IceIx or the other devs. I suspect he'll be in line for a buff a couple months from now.

Going back 3 pages the only threads like this are 1 or 2 re guarding specific characters. I couldn't find in generalized ones. I'm not a noob who doesn't check 1st.
  • I'd say the 2* characters that no one ever uses - Bullseye, MN Magneto, even Bagman (who could be tweaked into being a useful anti-CD tile weapon) need it more than anyone. And Daken and Bullseye need third skills that aren't passives.

Most of my list would be adding third powers to characters with two, which would take place immediately after rolling out the respec system.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'd say the 2* characters that no one ever uses - Bullseye, MN Magneto, even Bagman (who could be tweaked into being a useful anti-CD tile weapon) need it more than anyone. And Daken and Bullseye need third skills that aren't passives.

Most of my list would be adding third powers to characters with two, which would take place immediately after rolling out the respec system.

I can't believe I forgot about bagman. He definitely needs a buff! Lol
  • Spiderman is absolutely No. 1 priority to funbalance. 3 blues to stun that progresses each time up to 5 turns.
    The cost needs to double and stuns need to be capped lower.
  • Riggy wrote:
    There's several threads on this already, but OBW is fine as is. She's strong, but not broken. Her abilities are aggressively priced but still require several matches to be effective. Plus, she's squishy as heck. Target her first and by the time she's ready to fire off her recon, you just nuke her first.

Going back 3 pages the only threads like this are 1 or 2 re guarding specific characters. I couldn't find in generalized ones. I'm not a noob who doesn't check 1st.
    Fair enough, there hasn't been a topic on her specifically in the last few days. Regardless, with the nerf to Thorverine, OBW is the most popular 2* and regularly graces up-and-coming 3* teams. As such, her popularity makes her a topic of regular pot shots and debate calling for nerfs.

I still stand by my response - all the characters that need to be checked have been or are on the list. OBW has such a low health pool, her black ability only triggers on tiles with her symbol, and her general weakness on defense all point to a well-balanced, well-defined character. I would be surprised to see her end up on the list.
  • IM40 needs some tweaks. IMO his yellow is still worst ability to upgrade. None of his abilities are good at all, arguably his blue, but who would want an IM40 over an OBW or even a new Thor? Someone who doesn't know too well probably.
    Someone who really likes Patch. But sure, IM40 needs his self-defeatingness toned down or his threat tuned way up. He's so far out of line with other 3*s now that BTI can pretty reasonably outdamage Unibeam even past a 200% buff, and create strike tiles, and not drain other AP, and even its standard Patch suicide drawback is halved relative to Berserker Rage.

Some work on third abilities certainly wouldn't go amiss, but overall I'd rather they hurry up with what they've already announced and then let things settle for a while and gather some fascinating usage data. When you change something like Spider-Man or RIPnarok that's been warping the entire game for months, you're indirectly changing a lot of other things as well. Also really hoping they don't get carried away and make X-Force stupid good. I know Wolverine's Captain Popular, but I just can't see making an ultra-rare overpowering doing the game any good.

Anyone else set on leaving Ragnarok at 5/3? No idea what his third might be, but I'm willing to bet it won't be worse than Godlike Power.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think some care should be taken to develop a functional 2* character set. As is, the only characters worth using in both PvP and PvE are Thor/Ares/A. Wolvie/OBW/C. Storm, and maybe Daken. I would like to see all the 2 skill characters be given a 3rd skill so that they can become viable, and general buffs to the countdown guys so that they're more useful as well. Lower Cap Yellow's AP cost, change moonstones black to something actually useful, etc would all be good buffs that can promote a healthy selection of 2* characters. As is, whenever people ask what 2* characters to focus on and level, I basically tell them to ignore everyone except the 5 that I just mentioned, and would like to be able to suggest more characters.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    To some degree I concur with the OP that OBW needs some tweaking. Playing in the Blind Justice and Double Shot tourneys at a mid to high 2* level EVERY team includes OBW, which points to a similar issue as Thorverine: over use.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Obw is fine, leave her the f*ck alone. You guys want her nerfed because of previous mistakes? The only reason she is relevant is because of previous nerfing. She is perfect the way she is. If everyone gets "balanced" this game would SUCK. She does practically no damage and her health is pretty low. Get off her d*ck.
  • Speaking as one of the few people who doesn't use her but fights her over and over and over again: I don't see any reason to nerf her. She's really easy to face.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    To some degree I concur with the OP that OBW needs some tweaking. Playing in the Blind Justice and Double Shot tourneys at a mid to high 2* level EVERY team includes OBW, which points to a similar issue as Thorverine: over use.

Problem with Thorverine was that Wolverine had spamable skill and Thor was overall very durable with strong skills. OBW is popular but she is nothing compared to what Thorverine was. She has low HP pool and high skill cost. So i think she is fine.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She's overused because there isn't an abundance of support/utility classes.

I think if they add in a few more and OBW is still being overused then you could have an argument.
    Currently there is no other 2* char that heals or steals and the only other one you have is Storm who stuns.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:

Overuse doesn't necessarily mean that a character is overpowered though. If you think about the current 2* roster, 3 of the most powerful characters (Ares/Thor/Wolvie) are all red/green/yellow, meaning that having a purple/blue/black character is extremely desirable. O. Black Widow is literally the only 2* character that does this. Even if she were to be tweaked, I still think that she would see heavy use just because the alternatives are much worse: Moonstone doesn't work because she only covers purple (black is useless), MN Mags could be okay with covering blue/purple, but is countdown based and extremely rare, C. Storm only covers blue, and Hawkeye only covers blue. Not even going to talk about Bagman. While Thor/Wolvie was a case of being too strong, I think the current situation is that the other 2* supports are too weak as opposed to OBW being too strong. Demiurge could also introduce some more 2* supports that widow doesn't dominate as much.
  • We also should be focusing more on buffing and adding characters than destroying others.
  • OBW is fine. The only tweak I could see for her would be to the double tap of her espionage with strike tiles, but even that is stretching it.

She's used frequently because she heals the group. Only one other char does that and he is 3*. If you want to see her used less then they need to add more group healers.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Speaking as one of the few people who doesn't use her but fights her over and over and over again: I don't see any reason to nerf her. She's really easy to face.
    People will cry about losing to whatever on defense, but it's not what most of the funbalancing has been about. You know who else is really easy to face? Spider-Man. With the arguable exception of Ragnarok (deny red...ok, but deny 2 red?!), what a character does to players under the intentionally handicapped and lackwit AI's control hasn't been an issue. It's more a matter of a player being able to defeat everything too fast or too easily (or both), and always in the same way. Spidey ain't fast, whatever else he may be, which is probably why he wasn't the first priority.

Never really needing to exhaust health packs to keep going might also be an issue. Not sure where Demiurge stands on that, as I can't make out from the current state of the game whether they want healing bypassing the health pack "short sessions or open your wallet" imperative or not.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ok here's my argument for buff iron man / nerf OBW.

OBW pink lvl 5- 11ap cost
    Steals 4 of every ap color = potential 24ap
    NO NEGATIVE EFFECT

IM40 - yellow lvl 5 - 14ap cost
    Steals 12 assorted ap
    Stuns self for 2 turns.

If the argument is made that the skills should be left at lvl 3, I make the argument no skills should have negative effect by levelling it.

Edit: note that OBW's also STEALS ap, while IM40 merely generates AP.
  • UncleSam wrote:
    OBW is fine. The only tweak I could see for her would be to the double tap of her espionage with strike tiles, but even that is stretching it.

She's used frequently because she heals the group. Only one other char does that and he is 3*. If you want to see her used less then they need to add more group healers.

Bingo. Give this Uncle a cookie.

Group healing is so insanely useful in the world of limited health packs that any character with a group heal is going to be super popular no matter what. If they added a group heal to 1* Hawkeye tomorrow and didn't change anything else, he'd still rocket up the charts in terms of popularity. You'd see him everywhere on low level teams. If it was a better heal than OBW you'd see even some upper tier 2* teams using him. Heal aside, OBW doesn't have anything super special going on. Her steal is okay, but other characters have better ones. Her espionage is neat but it's only useful in conjunction with a strike-tile strategy so very much a niche power. Her add-turns-to-countdowns is a laughable joke as is all countdown oriented abilities (hint: matching removes them for 0 ap).

OBW is not overpowered, healers are too scarce. The devs need to decide if they really want us relying on health packs or healing characters. If the former, remove all the healing characters. If the latter, spread the healing abilities around further. As long as healing characters exist then every serious player *must* invest in developing them.