Community Moderators Wanted!

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
After a bit of back end work to figure out how we want to have all this structured, we're opening up the boards to having Community Moderators.

To get it out of the way: This is a volunteer thing, not a paid company position. If you're someone that spends a lot of time on the forums and is willing to help, that's great. Understand that it can get stressful at times. You'll get a few mod privileges out of the deal:

Responsibilities:
- Move posts to the correct Forums
- Edit Inappropriate posts
- Lock off topic or inappropriate posts
- Warn users for breaking the rules
- Sticky helpful posts
- Help keep the forums running smoothly with a healthy atmosphere

We want:
- Users that have experience with the community. That doesn't mean you have to have 1K+ posts necessarily, but you should know the ebb and flow of the forums in general.
- Users that don't keep themselves to one sub-forum. We have mod needs for all the subs, not just General Discussion.
- Users that are strong in the ways of the English language and can communicate clearly. Being able to speak lolcat or doge is not required, but iz soemtimez gud.

What you'll get out of it:
- A cool green colored name
- Incredible Mod powers totally not derived from the venom of a radioactive spider
- The ability to instaban people wanting to sell Fitted Kitchenz in Cambridge, maybe even Lancashire
- Warm fuzzies from knowing you're helping the community

To apply:
Send a PM to IceIX with:
- Reasoning behind wanting to be a mod
- Which sub-forums you're interested in keeping tabs on

Any questions should be placed in this thread. Although if you have a more private question about it you can PM IceIX.

Edit: We're planning on making our first run at people who express interest at the beginning of next week. So if you don't hear something back from me right away, don't worry. I'm not ignoring you.

Comments

• I nominate klingsor
  • Good luck to anyone who applies!
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    - The ability to instaban people wanting to sell Fitted Kitchenz in Cambridge, maybe even Lancashire

Oh ****, my kitchens is in trouble now
  • I like being helpful but I don't want that level of responsibility icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • oh well... PM send.
  • can we vote on this?
  • I demand you choose me. Do it.
  • IceIX
    Options
    can we vote on this?
    No, because that turns it into a popularity contest. We'll have a bit of internal discussion on the people that put their names forward though, so it's not going to be a blind pick or anything.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Updated post to indicate when we'll contact people.
  • icon_e_biggrin.gif true. makes sense. I like the community aspect of this and where it is going. Keep it up. +1 rep for you guys.
  • davecazz wrote:
    I nominate klingsor

I don't know if you are being ironic or not...I accept!
  • klingsor wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    I nominate klingsor

We know that You don't know. icon_twisted.gif
  • Emeryt wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    I nominate klingsor

We know that You don't know. icon_twisted.gif

Emeryt, it's bedtime and you have to go to 5th grade tomorrow. You don't want to flunk it a second time.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Can we stay on topic in at least one thread please? icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Can we stay on topic in at least one thread please? icon_e_smile.gif

Looks like someone failed their audition... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I noticed lately that many topics go off topic after a few posts with people trying to say something funny or witty. I wonder if that is because they want to be upvoted?
  • The last time I was a forum moderator it was for a Dota forum with fairly strict rules about topic adherence but none of the mods really bothered to enforce those rules. Hope the same happens here!
  • IceIX
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    The last time I was a forum moderator it was for a Dota forum with fairly strict rules about topic adherence but none of the mods really bothered to enforce those rules. Hope the same happens here!
    I'm not too worried about it here. There are joke threads, yes, but the vast majority of threads that are talking about actual game mechanics or events stay pretty good. See for example: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5307
    We don't need this place to be Elitist Jerks. Although I admire that outfit's chutzpah at their strict and enforced mod rules.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    <snip> Elitist Jerks <snip>

What an awesome name for an new alliance
  • Konman wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    <snip> Elitist Jerks <snip>

What an awesome name for an new alliance

Dibs.