2 Million Downloads! And A Sale! Also, New Characters

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Reposted from News for discussion.

We're celebrating the milestone of 2 million downloads across all Marvel Puzzle Quest devices this weekend! To celebrate, we've released a bit of info on upcoming characters and Events, as well as having a sale on Hero Points and Iso-8 this weekend only.

New characters coming:
    - Human Torch (Classic): The second of the Fantastic 4 to come to Marvel Puzzle Quest brings with him awesome flame based powers. Fireballs that deal damage and break up the board, Infernos that amp up the attack abilities of his allies, and Flame Jets that deal damage over time but sap the AP of the team are all abilities that will change the face of combats he's involved in. - Daken (Classic): This version of Daken is a new Gold character that utilizes tweaked versions of his current abilities to wreak more havoc on the battlefield. Increased healing and deadlier Strike tiles are among the tools that Daken (Classic) will bring to the table.
New Events:
    - The next Episode is coming soon! New storylines and characters are coming to the Marvel Puzzle Quest Universe.
Currency Sale:
Hero Points
    1.99 pack – no increase 4.99 pack – 10% increase 19.99 packs – 15% increase 49.99 and 99.99 – 20% increase
Iso-8
    1.99 pack – no increase 4.99 pack – 25% increase 19.99 packs – 40% increase 49.99 and 99.99 – 50% increase

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are there any plans to given Daken a 3rd skill? Human Torch sounds cool, looks like a very Punisheresque character.
  • Are there any plans to given Daken a 3rd skill? Human Torch sounds cool, looks like a very Punisheresque character.
    I'm wondering what the "saps AP" part means. An attack tile that deals damage but drains your AP? That actually sounds pretty interesting. Would be interesting to see an attack tile that hits the opponent's AP as well.

No mention of his rarity though. Is this the fabled 4* we're all anticipating?
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Increased healing and deadlier Strike tiles are among the tools that Daken (Classic) will bring to the table.[/list]

Increased healing
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    Well I guess that answers the question about whether gold characters are intended as a step up from rare or not.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glad to hear it. The Human Torch has always been one of my favorites. Love his powers.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Sounds like Human Torch's abilities will be something like:
    - Fireball: fixed direct damage + either Juggernaut-like random tile smashing or Punisher-like block smashing (either random or chosen)
    - Inferno: strike tiles
    - Flame Jet: attack tile with a drawback? New mechanic? Ooooh...

Also sounds like 3* Daken is going to be really good. His healing is already really good (if you scale his health to the 3* standard 5800, that's 290 per turn, not as good as Patch but good enough to erase all match damage), and if you just scale his strike tiles as they are you're looking at 63 damage at max, which doesn't sound like a lot, but you can get 4 on the board pretty early, which is 240 and compares very well with Punisher/Psylocke.

Speculation, whee!
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If anyone was here for the last HP sale (in 2013 sometime), how does this current sale compare to it?
  • Gold Daken would be pretty sweet. I was a Daken fan in the early game and he was one my first maxed character. Still pull him out quite a bit.

New sustaining powers are a nice addition. Original Puzzle Quest had similar mechanics. Although I think this will be a tile on the board similar to IW where you can destroy it to end the effect before it "burns" out.
  • Puritas wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Increased healing and deadlier Strike tiles are among the tools that Daken (Classic) will bring to the table.[/list]

Increased healing
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    Well I guess that answers the question about whether gold characters are intended as a step up from rare or not.

Yeah, and if his abilities are still passives I'm thinking this will significantly change our conversations about best defensive team. Even if they aren't passives then we have a usuable 3* with purple and black powers, I guess that was the dream.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D'oh.
    0.jpg
    icon_rolleyes.gif

Well at the very least I hope he has a third skill icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Two question.

1. Why episode 4.5? Why not episode 5?
    2. Will Daken Gold have 2 covers or three?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Judging from the previous 0.5 episode (The Hulk), it at least doesn't seem to indicate PvEs of much smaller scope...
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    a new Gold character

Sigh. Please, please stop with the retreads. I would prefer an actual new character every x weeks to a gold character every x/2 weeks.

EDIT: Am I misremembering, or didn't Ice state in a post somewhere a few weeks ago that the devs had heard our feedback that we hated gold characters?
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not happy about Gold Daken at all. Of all the characters you could have picked for the next gold character... hopefully some of the tweaks will at least include less annoying animations.
  • what is this, Daken is like 7 years old, he can't be "classic"

what are you guys trying to pull
  • I am excited for gold Daken, but i give a thumbs up for the less annoying animations
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    eidehua wrote:
    If anyone was here for the last HP sale (in 2013 sometime), how does this current sale compare to it?

It's worse, but it's still a sale. The v-day and Christmas sales offered double ISO and HP.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah a big thumbs down from me for Daken. The most annoying character in the game already.

Looking forward to the Torch though. But if it's a 4* I probably won't get him. There is always someone way more crazy than me in every bracket I enter. I can finish 2nd every event, but never ever get first.
  • I'm finding it harder and harder to be nearly as interested in this game as I used to be. The fact that you just keep rehashing characters for the past 3 outputs is really wearing me out, and I just.. I think I'm done. Not even sure I wanna finish up this PvE, just so much grinding to go through. Human Torch sounds neat, but I'm willing to bet he'll be a 4* character to go with IW.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If Torch is a 4*, which would kinda make sense for a Fantastic Four member, I'll probably not bother much with him.

The two 4* characters are awful and cost about a thousand dollars to level up. A fix promised 3 months ago still hasn't arrived. IW's tweaks were very minor, but she has the distinction of being the last character to get a buff.
  • We'll be able to run an all-lazy team with Thor, Daken, Cap.

Let Daken and Thor take damage. Daken can regen, Thor has health. Match greens to build up strike tiles and call storm. Cap sits back to lead the lazy crew, stunning and clearing countdowns along the way.