POLL: New characters or 3rd skills for two-skill characters?

Options
optimiza
optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Not sure if this poll was ever conducted. At this point, I'd like to see more 3rd skills than new characters. There are of course other chars that could have 3rd skill (CHawk, MWidow) but I'm fine with those two staying at two skills, though a 3rd skill could be interesting. Thoughts?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• You forgot Loki who might just be the character who most desperately needs a third skill (a good one). Anyway, I would really like those characters getting a new skill.
  • optimiza
    Options
    Loki is definitely niche, but his purple so often randomly does dumb stuff that I really enjoy using him, even though it guarantees that you're getting an **** kicking on retaliation.
  • It's pretty easy to end up with other characters who cover red yellow green and blue strongly that a 3rd character who covers pink and black and does random things like deal with strike tiles and protect tiles or simply sets off random cascades is quite nice (especially in PVE where things like big Bullseye protect tiles, oodles of Daken strike tiles and countdowns in inconvenient places happen all the time). Would love to see Loki with a 3rd skill, though.
  • optimiza
    Options
    Hey D3, the people are speaking. Yeah, it's sort of a small sample size, but you love us forumites more, don't you? <3
  • ToryTory
    ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    I love MPQ. I've spent a lot of money on the game. I really do hope D3 takes the time to polish, and revamp their earlier work. I know this isn't League of Legends, but they've been going back and re-doing art and remaking their heroes especially those when the gamers have constantly been verbose about them.

The balance/design team needs to have a specific rubric on power levels. We're seeing a lot of power creeping in the new heroes. There should be a clear power level between 1*,2*,3* and 4*. What we're seeing, esp in the case of LThor, is a lot of skewing. I'm sure D3 is making a ton of money selling the new OP, flavor of the money champs. However, if you balance heroes out, D3 probably make more just because of the fact that people can play the Heroes/Villains they grew up loving, and they are actually viable.

I'll use myself for example. For the past 2 years, I've started collecting Daredevil comics. I've got the 5 volumes of Essentials, the great Frank Miller stuff, and have picked up Season 2 and started collecting every hard copy I can get my hands on. I'm up to #50 and still going. I was ecstatic to see D3 releasing Daredevil. Told myself I'd buy HP and buy all his covers. Then we actually got to see Daredevil game play, and you should know the rest.

I know D3 has projects they want to push out. I know the head honcho wants to make money, and you're being paid to push new content out. We want new and shiny stuff. This is part of human nature. What we don't want is lazy half thought out things. It's like going to a grocery store and finding a *NEW* can of Coca Cola, when the only thing new is the packing or the size is larger. It'll sell to some, but it's bad and will fail for the most part. I hope the forumers have voiced enough to deter you from further *Gold* AKA Lazy hero so called batches. They suck. They're not even innovate. If you're going to make a 3*, do something unique with it.

That being said, I bought some 3* cap covers. Why? Because I like the game and want to support D3. This game is fun, and I'm not afraid of admitting I've spent over 300$. I've said this over in the Character discussion thread too. 3* Cap plays like what 2* should've been. We can't have all great skills or original unique playability, esp. in a match 3 game, but please give your player base some thought. Maybe get a different crew of people, or departmentalize better. D3 previous design team isn't t bad, but whomever D3 has employed needs to do their maths a bit better.

All in all, the game is still good, but like all things, there's always room for improvement.

TL; DR : Revisit and polish old Characters. Make tweaks, and third skills where applicable and the game will be breathed new life. We don't need 12312312 characters every week. It's refreshing to have great, thought out Characters, than bad re-hashes.

Thanks for reading!
    -J
  • 3rd skills wins for me a million to one. They've been pushing out too many lazy or poorly designed characters lately, and it's starting to put a lot of strain on roster space. They need to take the time to finish the existing characters (the two-skill characters all have an unfinishedness to them), and if they're going to design new ones, they need to take the time it takes to do them right.
  • I chose the 2nd option but the phrasing "more useful" is vague.

I think Daken is fine for example. I don't own Rag but he seems fine as well, as does Doom.

Rather than giving them a third skill I'd much rather see buffs in the shape of cheaper abilities. Not by much, just a little.

And if we're really going to talk about third skills then I would like for those skills to be of a different kind two what they have.

For example:
    - Daken has two passive skills. Give him an active one.
    - Loki has two active skills that don't scale with level. Give him a passive skill that scales.
    - Doom has two active skills. Give him a passive one.

How's this for a passive skill that doesn't scale. "Protection against colour x. Hero only takes 20/30/40/50 % (level 2/3/4/5) damage from matches of colour x"

Or "If team has less than x AP total hero gains an extra AP for each match they make" - Admittedly this isn't too different from espionage or Hood's blue but it doesn't STEAL from the opponent.
  • and by more useful we don't mean turn them into a gold character, just saying