*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Options

Comments

• What's the difference between 3 Black and 4 Black at Max level?

I have a 4/4/5 Punisher that I'm thinking of respec'ing to 3/5/5 next time I get a Green cover.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    What's the difference between 3 Black and 4 Black at Max level?

I have a 4/4/5 Punisher that I'm thinking of respec'ing to 3/5/5 next time I get a Green cover.

My max Punisher at 3 Black is: 783 team damage, 3 turn countdown tile that creates a 65 damage attack tile. Believe the only difference is that the attack tile strength goes from 65 to 78 from 3-4.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    kalirion wrote:

My max Punisher at 3 Black is: 783 team damage, 3 turn countdown tile that creates a 65 damage attack tile. Believe the only difference is that the attack tile strength goes from 65 to 78 from 3-4.

you really want his green at max anyway in either punisher build, his damage just explodes once you do
  • mags1587 wrote:
    kalirion wrote:

Thanks! 3/5/5 is definitely better then icon_e_smile.gif

you really want his green at max anyway in either punisher build, his damage just explodes once you do

Yeah, I can see how that would be - was definitely wishing for a 3rd strike tile during the Gauntlet.

I used to pair him with Patch a lot before getting Panther up to snuff, in which case it wasn't as important.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just played with him in a game and it reminded me of this old thread of mine, so I'm bumping it.

Given he is currently out of rotation and getting / not getting reworked, I want to iterate this whole thing.

I get it's the character (and blah blah blah) but there is simply no need whatsoever to have an animation (particularly) / image that involves a firearm pointing directly at the user.

100% should not be there at all and should be reworked into something much more minimal.
  • It's one of the animations I like in the game as well. Btw, why is it bad that a gun is directed towards the player even if it's a kid? Kids know about guns and death, right?
  • yogi_
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    It's one of the animations I like in the game as well. Btw, why is it bad that a gun is directed towards the player even if it's a kid? Kids know about guns and death, right?

For an animation, I don't mind it either, but that's not really my point.

Can't work out of your second part is serious or not. Is pointing the representation of a firearm directly at a player (particularly a child, many of whom would play this game) necessary at all, when there would be a number of other ways to get the same interaction across? I can't think of single reason for this to be ok in anyway. Just because guns and death exist in society doesn't make it ok to have it exist in every medium, particularly as children should really not be exposed to it.

All of the sword animations are neutrally targetted towards the enemy team and even the green Pun animation generally goes off in some sort of neutral direction. I recall reading at some point that movie posters are actually not allowed to have a firearm directly pointing at the viewer.
  • I was serious. Guns are in cartoons. Kids learn about everything earlier than we used to these days. I can't comprehend the worry that a toon is pointing a gun and shooting at me or a child.
  • yogi_
    edited November 2014
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    I was serious. Guns are in cartoons. Kids learn about everything earlier than we used to these days. I can't comprehend the worry that a toon is pointing a gun and shooting at me or a child.

I guess it's about the broader picture.

There are a lot of things kids don't need to be learning about earlier, even if they are. There also will never be a cartoon that depicts a character pointing and firing a gun directly into the screen. Across a broad spectrum of television and film, do you think even one (maybe even a half) generation ago, we'd have anything even remotely near the level of violence that is now taken as accepted?

You and I are developmentally formed, brain wise (I assume both past our early 20's where to a large extent the majority of our brain wiring has taken place) and are able to fully understand what's in front of us and likely haven't grown up with such things. Those younger than this age, but primarily, the years between mid-teens to late single digits simply don't have the same level of brain development to fully interpret the message alongside the ever increasing number of other messages society is giving them. Yes, probably no one is going to play this game and then go and kill someone, I am aware but it's just a tiny piece of the broader issue of guns and violence becoming more and more normalised. I know it's a video game and not real and fictional characters, etc etc, but it's one animation - it can be done in a different way.
  • I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or if it's harmful. I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist for that matter. I do know though there isn't any solid evidence linking real life violence to video game violence. This issue is discussed every time when some nutjob shoots a theater full of people and every time the media blows it out of proportion and claims it is linked to video game violence when experts say the opposite. Claiming video games are evil must bring high TV ratings I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4

There is an informative video here supported with some expert opinions.
  • yogi_
    Options
    I am not for a moment making any comment on the topic of video games and issues related to violence. Your comment is a distraction to the fact that I don't want a(nimated) gun pointing directly at me and firing. It's just not necessary. What other video games have guns pointing directly at the player and firing? I am not a huge gamer, but none that I know of come to mind.

We're playing a freaking matching tiles game here - I don't really give a **** whether Pushiner is firing a gun or sitting down writing his memoirs. All I am saying is that people playing this game (particularly young children) don't need to see it, when there are any number of options for doing it differently and getting the same outcome.

Hey, I play this game, I am not going to be violent to anyone, I fully understand the character and appreciate the animation, but I don't want to see it.
  • As I said before I like the animation. It's cool. It's interesting and telling of his character. The ability is also named Retribution with his other abilities being Molotov Cocktail and Judgement. He is on a mission of vengeance. His cold look into player's eyes who he is shooting adds to the experience of playing the game. It doesn't sound like a small child should play this game now, does it?

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.js ... le%20quest

T for Teen, Violence, Blood, Suggestive Themes, Drug Reference, Mild Language.

With all that said, I wouldn't care too much if it was changed but I still prefer current animation. Of course the animation could be redone in an angle similar to Judgement but it just wouldn't be the same.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Heh, am semi-with OP here. I find it quite ... uncomfortable .. to have a gun pointed at me, even IG. Which is odd, because I'm more than happy to play shooting games (boredom aside), or watch movies with shooting in them, etc.

I suppose there's something subconsciously confronting about seeing a gun pointed right at you? For some people.

Would understand if it's not changed, but just ftr... can see why some people might find it uncomfortable to see.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's threatening, but that's supposed to be! Punisher it's all about vengeance a one-man war.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    I agree that the animation could use a change, to the extent that if I'm using Retribution on the opponent, he should not be pointing his gun at me.
    KevinMark wrote:
    I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist for that matter. I do know though there isn't any solid evidence linking real life violence to video game violence.

Violent video games don't cause violent kids. Parents who expose kids to violent media without opening a dialogue about violence, they cause violent kids.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, I can't read through all this. The desensitization of children to violence in other media is not a justification for further desensitization.

Besides that, the image in question is of questionable taste in that, it is implied to be breaking the 4th wall and aiming at the player. I hadn't really thought of it before seeing this thread, but I do agree, it's not appropriate.

I think that if any of us seriously want to see this changed, suggestions would be better than just making a blanket "this is bad and needs to change" statement.
    A far more appropriate animation could show the Punisher standing pointing his gun downward at an invisible or unseen opponent. This keeps the spirit of the character yet removes the disturbing 4th wall element of the current animation.
  • Lol. This thread is humorous.
  • You are talking about Retribution I suppose?

Let's be honest, how many 8-12 year olds are playing games like Call of Duty these days? A lot you can assume. That animation is very tame in comparison.

Also, in the Apple App Store, it is rated 12+ for:
    Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
    Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
    Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
    Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
    Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor

On Steam, it is rated T for Teen.

On Google Play, it is rated Medium Maturity. That is more or less similar to being rated T for Teen.

The rating on the game already covers the very fact it has this animation.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As a parent, and someone who detests gun use in general, even at a shooting range, detests the proliferation of guns in the West... The animation doesn't bother me at all.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I prefer the build of 3/5/5.
    I am bumping this up because some of the people who just won Punisher covers are going to look for this Character discussion.