Crafting

Options
blueflag.pngHi

What about a crafting system for cover ? A lot of people are blocked in their evolution because they can't get the cover they want. If you miss one event with a character you want, you will have to wait the next train to get it(and even here it is not sure you'll got it).
Especially for new players the transition star.pngstar.png => star.pngstar.pngstar.png is a big pain because even if you spend lot of time in the game you are not sure to get something good. This system is not normal at all, you should be certain to get something usable if you spend (lot of) time on the game.

That's why my idea is a crafting system, if you got a star.pngstar.pngstar.png cover you don't need you can exchange it again some iso (like actual system) OR transform it in piece of cover. When you have enough pieces of cover you can exchange them again the cover you need.

System could be the same for each 1*,2*,3* and 4*.

Exemple:

- star.png cover cost 10 pieces of star.png cover then you need to destroy 10 x star.png to get the one you miss.
- star.pngstar.png could be 25 pieces of star.pngstar.png covers.
- star.pngstar.pngstar.png 50 pieces of star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers.
- star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png 100 pieces of star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers.

This system could relaunch the interest of the game and we could be sure passing time on the game would assure to get something usefull.

What do you think about this ?

purpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.png

star.pngIdeas from others players:

Myles Lux wrote:
If i could add on to this idea, I'd make it a point system.

1* covers = 1 point
2* covers = 5 points
3* covers = 25 points
4* covers = 50 points

You could build up points and trade them in for a randomized 1/2/3/4* cover

10 points for a randomized 1* cover
25 points for a randomized 2* cover
100 points for a randomized 3* cover
200 points for a randomized 4* cover

(Points could vary, just an idea)

yellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.png

star.pngEvolution(s) of the original idea:

Introduction of a new money => Crafting Points

-Crafting points can be won in different ways:

-Sending a cover(Myles Lux's prices are good exemples), star.png = 1 point; star.pngstar.png = 5 points; star.pngstar.pngstar.png = 25 points; star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png = 50 points
-Buyable with Hero points(2 HP for 1 CP ?, packs of 50 CP again 100 HP; or 500CP vs 1k HP; or 1k CP again 2k HP)
-And why not in some events ?

-Every weeks there is a rotation of covers:

15 x star.png , 10 x star.pngstar.png , 5 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png and 1 x star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png

-For the price of covers i would say something like:

star.png = Between 50 and 100 Crafting Points in function of rarity.
star.pngstar.png = Between 100 and 250 CP
star.pngstar.pngstar.png = Between 250 and 500 CP
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png = 1 000 CP.

Of course all in this topic can evoluate, i listen all your ideas and thank you for the ones who support this topic.

Comments

• KrazyKeylime
    Options
    love the idea.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great idea. But if they didn't go for it 7 months ago, I don't think they will now. icon_e_wink.gif

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8828#p157267

Something like this would be really helpful to a lot of players. However, lately, I'm beginning to think that helping players isn't very high on the D3 "to do" list.
  • Thanks to your answer guys.
    Great idea. But if they didn't go for it 7 months ago, I don't think they will now. icon_e_wink.gif

Yes i agree but if lot of people support this topic maybe they will change their mind. I was not playing in June so i could not support your topic.

And the diference between new players and old is growing and growing and they(new players) have no chance at all to compete and get some rewards. We have to mobilize and help us each other. That could relaunch interest for some people who lose the faith to get the cover they want and simply stopped the game.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Clems wrote:
    Thanks to your answer guys.

Yes i agree but if lot of people support this topic maybe they will change their mind. I was not playing in June so i could not support your topic.

And the diference between new players and old is growing and growing and they(new players) have no chance at all to compete and get some rewards. We have to mobilize and help us each other. That could relaunch interest for some people who lose the faith to get the cover they want and simply stopped the game.

You know, I didn't really think about it that way. You're absolutely right. The game is a lot different now than it was before. There are more players now. So things that would not work before very well may work now. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask. And if enough people want the same thing, as you said, it just might happen.
  • I second this motion. Please hear us out for this, D3!
  • Thank you for support but we need to be much much more.

Come on people and follow us in the Revolution !
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, I think this idea is really cool, but I think it would be a terrible investment of resources for MPQ - I say this because people would simply switch complaining about drop rates on crafting rather than tokens (or additionally).
  • Honestly, I think this idea is really cool, but I think it would be a terrible investment of resources for MPQ - I say this because people would simply switch complaining about drop rates on crafting rather than tokens (or additionally).

First thank you for your feedback

And no, it will not be a terrible investment because the drop rate is 100%. The goal of this feature is to make the game accessible for everyone.

You have for exemple 50 covers 3 star.png you transform in "pieces of covers 3 star.png " and you can directly exchange them again a cover 3 star.png of your choice (or it could have a rotation between differents covers, and why not different prices in function of rarity if prices are not exaggerated).
  • Westy3079
    Options
    I think the idea of crafting is great. Like many other players, the dissapointment of opening gold & event tokens to get nothing is getting really old & demoralising now. I've taken to farming hero points lately to just buy the covers I need. It takes a while but at least I'm getting close to finishing some characters now.

Another idea that might be easier to implement is to attach small hero point amounts to all covers so you could sell the covers for iso OR hero points
    They could maybe give like 1-2 Hp for 1 * star covers, 5 for 2*, 10 for 3* & 25 for 4*.
    I don't think the amount people spend would reduce, it may even encourage more spending as people may top up Hp to get closer to the total they need to purchase a certain cover.
    All those moonstones & ares we keep getting over & over could be put towards something useful & fit in with the quest nature of the game rather than the puzzle of why we only got 1 shulk or doc oc in our 10 pack we worked all month for icon_e_smile.gif

Oh & stop the expiration on covers, we have won/ earned them why should we have to lose them? Pretty unfair, & particularly hard for new players.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    Clems wrote:
    Honestly, I think this idea is really cool, but I think it would be a terrible investment of resources for MPQ - I say this because people would simply switch complaining about drop rates on crafting rather than tokens (or additionally).

First thank you for your feedback

And no, it will not be a terrible investment because the drop rate is 100%. The goal of this feature is to make the game accessible for everyone.

I believe the "Terrible investment of resources" line is more that D3 won't see any positive impact on their bottom line. Yes, you have a good idea for the players, but it doesn't add enough fun to see people spend more on the game. Or is there an aspect of your idea that does provide D3 a ROI better than the existing system?

Your system can probably be tuned to offer something D3 would see as revenue generating, or generating additional player attachment to the game. Something like every day you can convert # covers towards crafting a cover, to give an additional daily reward type of inventive to encourage game attachment.

I do think the token/pack/covering system needs a rework.
  • Bumping this topic. Fantastic idea. Sharing with everyone I know.
  • If i could add on to this idea, I'd make it a point system.

1* covers = 1 point
    2* covers = 5 points
    3* covers = 25 points
    4* covers = 50 points

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    you have to remember, the first question the devs have in house is "can we monetize it?"

trading covers you don't need/want for ones you do isn't going to fly around here
  • fmftint wrote:
    you have to remember, the first question the devs have in house is "can we monetize it?"

trading covers you don't need/want for ones you do isn't going to fly around here

That's not necessarily true at all.
    This system can generate a lot of attention for the game, and attention generates gamers, and gamers generate money. When you have 60 characters in a game like this the first question new gamers are going to ask "How hard is it going to be to get these characters?" When I joined there was maybe 40 characters, so it was much easier for me to want to play, but as this game continues to create new characters there needs to be a way to get covers faster.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    esoxnepa wrote:
    I believe the "Terrible investment of resources" line is more that D3 won't see any positive impact on their bottom line. Yes, you have a good idea for the players, but it doesn't add enough fun to see people spend more on the game. Or is there an aspect of your idea that does provide D3 a ROI better than the existing system?

Yeah, basically this. If they're going to invest money in developing a new system over whatever they are currently working on, it needs to have a financial draw larger than whatever it is they are looking at.
    esoxnepa wrote:
    Your system can probably be tuned to offer something D3 would see as revenue generating, or generating additional player attachment to the game. Something like every day you can convert # covers towards crafting a cover, to give an additional daily reward type of inventive to encourage game attachment.

I do think the token/pack/covering system needs a rework.

Even if the drop rate for the * level is 100% people would just complain they got /x/ character too much or that they 'never get what they need'. Adversely, if you were able to craft specific characters, then this feature would be taking out of the pocket's of the developers, because last I checked, that's one of the largest percentiles of their income (covers).

Even if you make it possible to say, purchase "2* Crafting Materials" with real money, drop rates would kill the reception, just like it does for tokens.
    Myles Lux wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

That's not necessarily true at all.
    This system can generate a lot of attention for the game, and attention generates gamers, and gamers generate money. When you have 60 characters in a game like this the first question new gamers are going to ask "How hard is it going to be to get these characters?" When I joined there was maybe 40 characters, so it was much easier for me to want to play, but as this game continues to create new characters there needs to be a way to get covers faster.

Indirect potential income doesn't entice publishers, aka the people funding the developers, to fund additional development budgets, and it's not going to convince the developers, whom's livelihood is on the line, to take a risk on doing this over what they know is working right now. It sucks, but it's real life. Look at Square's complaints of Tomb Raider's income. It did fantastic in sales and reception, but it was deemed a failure by the publisher.
  • You used to be able to sell 3*/4* cover back for HP and that was essentially this. They stopped doing it because people were getting covers just to sell them back even when they didn't need them. Of course people are doing that anyway because they introduced seasons rating, but things are still likely to be much worse if 3*/4*s are able to be sold back for something equivalent of HP.
  • Myles Lux wrote:
    If i could add on to this idea, I'd make it a point system.

1* covers = 1 point
    2* covers = 5 points
    3* covers = 25 points
    4* covers = 50 points

Thanks you for your support(you and the others, that motivate a lot) and i love your idea, i will add it to the original post =)

I think we can find a good compromise for the 2 parts with an idea like that.

With a points system like suggest Myles Lux and a rotations for covers to buy. All weeks for exemple, new covers are buyable (only 1 time for each), if you have enough points you buy what you need but if you don't have, you could buy Crafting points with Heros Points to complete what you need.
    And like that is worth it for the players AND developpers, no?

This game really need (and deserve) to evoluate and what's better than opinion of players to know what players need ?

/!\EDIT/!\ Original Post updated !
  • You'd have to have a non competitive mode, or at least one where dominance is not permanent, for anything that looks like crafting to work. To use the Hearthstone example, you can have interesting stuff for the Arena because your deck in the Arena is transient so just because you made a great draw this time and totally cleaned up doesn't mean you'll have the same luck next time. But right now anyone who already starts with great characters is just going to keep on winning whatever unit of currency you use from the standard events. If there's some sort of 'sealed deck' type events I can see this working, like say you pay some fee for a 42 pack of heroic tokens and that determines your roster for the event and you can only use those characters for the event.
  • BUMP for a better world icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You really don't see a way the devs could monetize this?

You really don't think the devs could figure out rather quickly that they can just charge a flat rate for some of whatever the crafting material is?