The cost of cover space

Hi Devs, is there any plan to reduce the cost of a cover space? i'm sure you are going to add more and more characters into the game and i'm the kind who wants to collect them all.

It's really expensive if i have to spend 150hp for each new characters. Moreover, the covers that i have in the cache can't be used for leveling up abilities and i can't sell them too.

I had to buy 2 cover spaces just to level up my captain america abilities and it felt kinda expensive.

Thankyou!

Comments

• Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    I'd like to say I'm not a fan of paying for cover space. It feels like your getting us paying for good covers and paying for room to keep them. I'd love to use some HP to go after a rare card, but I have to save my HP just to buy space
  • I do understand that frustration but what would happen then to all of the people that spent on cover space already?

I do like the limitation though because it forces you to choose between which characters you want to keep and get rid of. I felt I had a really great team going and when that one star tournament hit I had to work my butt off to get a third 1 star character up to acceptable level. Definitely added more of a challenge.
  • I'm in favor of the cover limit.
    I'm also in favor of expansions being purchasable exclusively with iso-8.

HP for cover space = LAME.
  • I have yet to spend any real money on HP (though I have purchased some ISO-8) & I currently have 17 cover slots in my collection. What are you all spending all the HP you win on? I've even spent some on characters powers and I've even rolled the dice a few times trying to win 4 star Wolverine (no luck) but still had enough to buy something like 14 cover slots (I can't remember how many you start with). Still I wish they were cheaper as I'll need even more as they release more covers & at 150 HP per new slot (currently), I don't have much HP left to win in PvE.
  • Well, i think it's a reasonable business model to have this cover limit thing.

However, it'll be best if we can use covers in cache for iso-8 or level up abilities. (in my case, i will only need to buy 1 more space for captain america instead of 2)

Unlike Marvel War of Heroes (where you only need 5 or 6 star cards), almost every character is going to be useful at some point in MPQ. (like one-star pvp and hawkeye in the current pvp).
    Therefore it only makes sense for me (at least), to collect many rosters.
  • I just had a thought and being that I haven't had my morning coffee yet, it may not be a good one lol:

Why not have cover slots be winnable "items", too? I mean keep the ability to purchase them also but occasionally, instead of a 500 iso reward or 50 HP reward, how about a +1 cover slot reward? I think that could be a win/win scenario for everyone (players & devs) as the more covers players have, the more invested they are in the game and the more likely they are to eventually plunk down some real money (in theory anyway). No one likes being forced to spend money on things they don't deem worth money (what those "things" are varies by person) and this would give those players who don't think cover slots are worth paying for a way to win at least some thereby allowing them to spend money on aspects of the game they think are worthy. To me this would definitely increase both the players' enjoyment of the game and the dev's profitability...

...but like I said, I haven't had coffee yet so maybe I'm talking out of my ****. icon_razz.gif
  • @hogunner, at first I wanted to direct you to preview of the patch, but since patch has been just released you can check actual patch notes. You will see Cover Packs mention in Daily Rewards =]
  • Shikao wrote:
    @hogunner, at first I wanted to direct you to preview of the patch, but since patch has been just released you can check actual patch notes. You will see Cover Packs mention in Daily Rewards =]

Unless I'm mistaken, "Cover Cover Pack Draws" mentioned in the patch refer to giving tokens that you can use for "buying" actual covers, not opening up new cover slots so that doesn't help or relate to what I was saying...unless I'm wrong that is. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    hogunner wrote:
    Unless I'm mistaken, "Cover Cover Pack Draws" mentioned in the patch refer to giving tokens that you can use for "buying" actual covers, not opening up new cover slots so that doesn't help or relate to what I was saying...unless I'm wrong that is. icon_e_smile.gif

You're correct. However, that doesn't stop us from doing Cover Slot Tokens in the future if that's a thing that's necessary. We want to see how the new economy shakes out with this relatively large change first. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

You're correct. However, that doesn't stop us from doing Cover Slot Tokens in the future if that's a thing that's necessary. We want to see how the new economy shakes out with this relatively large change first. icon_e_smile.gif

Understandable; the changes in this patch were quite large already. icon_e_smile.gif
  • hogunner wrote:

My bad icon_redface.gif Note to self: no more hasty replying while at college =P
  • Shikao wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

My bad icon_redface.gif Note to self: no more hasty replying while at college =P

Ha! No worries; if I had to count how many times I've had to eat crow because of something I wrote on the internetz, well let's just say I'd rather not try to count that high. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Unknown
    edited October 2013
    IceIX wrote:

Hello IceIX,

I have a concern about cover space and it's increasing cost (if it does indeed continue to increase).

To clarify my situation, I am a free player and now have 15 cover slots. I have 14 different characters in my cover slots, with 4 others waiting for me in my cache. I really don't want to ditch any characters. I love that every character in MPQ has their own unique set of powers, and I would like to take advantage of this by keeping a full roster of available characters. I'm sure plenty of other players will want to do this as well (as some have mentioned here).

Either way, the cost increase really bothered me the more I thought about it. I planned on dropping some money to free up more space for yet-to-be-obtained characters after I got all the free HP from the Prologue missions and other rewards. But, now I'm concerned that when I get all the free space, it's going to cost way more than I'm willing to pay. When I first started, I was already planning to drop $5.00 on cover space (5 spaces), but even with the 50HP increase, that reduces it to only 3 cover slots for my $5. If I play this game for months and months am I going to be paying $5.00 for one cover space?

If I hypothetically had 99 cover slots, why should I pay more real money for cover slot #100 than I did for cover slot #20? Free-to-play games are still relatively new to me and I am having difficulty wrapping my head around this one. Maybe you can help? icon_e_smile.gif

EDIT: I found this thread here, where some of my questions were answered by a combination of you and other players (I removed those questions). Unfortunately, they were not the answers I was hoping for.
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=271

As others mentioned there, this system seems a little broken. In that thread, people mentioned other games and you mentioned that MPQ doesn't play like those games... I know it would probably be unpopular with players, but if I might suggest an alternative... you could have a "playable" roster of characters, and then a reserve roster. The "playable" roster couldn't be moved to reserves until their HP is maxxed, locking them in place... there could be a limited number of "useable characters" and a larger number of spaces available for your "reserve characters".

No matter what, I definitely don't see why it would be on a sliding scale.

Sidenote, it is very difficult to use the search function on these forums. Example, I searched for both "cover space" and "unstable iso" and both searches said they could not be completed due to "too common word usage". :/
  • 25 to . . . is 250 not 200
  • IceIX
    As others mentioned there, this system seems a little broken. In that thread, people mentioned other games and you mentioned that MPQ doesn't play like those games... I know it would probably be unpopular with players, but if I might suggest an alternative... you could have a "playable" roster of characters, and then a reserve roster. The "playable" roster couldn't be moved to reserves until their HP is maxxed, locking them in place... there could be a limited number of "useable characters" and a larger number of spaces available for your "reserve characters".

No matter what, I definitely don't see why it would be on a sliding scale.

Sidenote, it is very difficult to use the search function on these forums. Example, I searched for both "cover space" and "unstable iso" and both searches said they could not be completed due to "too common word usage". :/
    To paraphrase Master Yoda: The future, difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.
    We could decide to change up how Cover Slots work down to road. The difficult part there is making things fair to everyone who purchased a ton of them beforehand if we move towards something like you state. So it's a delicate balancing act. At the moment we appear to be having pretty good success with how things are working and how players are using their space. Whether that will stay as it is as we add more characters? Harder to say. The great thing about a Live game is that we can react to that need for change instead of sticking something in a box and shipping it.

As for the search, that's really weird. The common word filter shouldn't trigger for anything less than 3 letters. I'll check into it.
  • if you decide to rebalance in the future it's pretty easy to compensate. The # of cover slots someone has unlocked has a direct price tag on how many hero points they spent. If you changed the system in a way you felt was unfair then compensate someone for the change like returning Hero Points that would have been spent on the last X cover slots.

I dont think anyone would mind if that was the case so long as their characters went to a safe place icon_razz.gif

I do kinda like the idea of a reserve roster and a playable roster where you can only swap when hp had maxed. devs might even make a little side money on impatient people buying med packs for hp just to move them quick icon_e_smile.gif
  • I have no problems with cover space and won't have in foreseeable future. How?
    I simply don't buy new covers unless I have enough HP for the pack and new cover space.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to try for some new covers, so many characters that could use more talent points, but a little bit of planning and restrain can go a long way =]
  • Catalyst wrote:
    if you decide to rebalance in the future it's pretty easy to compensate. The # of cover slots someone has unlocked has a direct price tag on how many hero points they spent. If you changed the system in a way you felt was unfair then compensate someone for the change like returning Hero Points that would have been spent on the last X cover slots.
    Or just count HP spent on slots before change, and give that many slots as would have been bought with new price. I like your option more, but I don't know if mine is more realistic icon_e_wink.gif
  • My wife started playing MPQ last night and I was talking to her about this. I tend to think better out loud and was able to formulate another way to describe the inadequacies of the current system.

Until the sliding scale for cover space is removed, here is how it looks to me, the player...
    The more I play your game for free, the less my dollar is worth to you.
    And that just can't be right, can it?
    IceIX wrote:
    We could decide to change up how Cover Slots work down to road. The difficult part there is making things fair to everyone who purchased a ton of them beforehand if we move towards something like you state. So it's a delicate balancing act. At the moment we appear to be having pretty good success with how things are working and how players are using their space. Whether that will stay as it is as we add more characters? Harder to say. The great thing about a Live game is that we can react to that need for change instead of sticking something in a box and shipping it.
    I completely understand what you are saying here. The balancing act of Hit Points and Cover Slots must be a lot more complicated and involved behind the scenes than the "energy bar" in Marvel: WoH or the "set of lives" in Candy Crush. Even with that in mind, though, Catalyst's response echo my own ideas about the situation:
    Catalyst wrote:
    if you decide to rebalance in the future it's pretty easy to compensate. The # of cover slots someone has unlocked has a direct price tag on how many hero points they spent. If you changed the system in a way you felt was unfair then compensate someone for the change like returning Hero Points that would have been spent on the last X cover slots.

I do kinda like the idea of a reserve roster and a playable roster where you can only swap when hp had maxed. devs might even make a little side money on impatient people buying med packs for hp just to move them quick icon_e_smile.gif
    Again, I am just throwing things out there because this is a suggestions and feedback forum, but to add upon my idea here, if you went with an active/reserve roster setup, you could hypothetically have premium roster slots ("gold slots" vs the normal "silver slots" or something) that (paying?) players could obtain. It could heal at a 10-25% faster heal rate, or something... I know you have the health packs in the game, too, and that you don't want to step on your own toes in that respect. Like IceIX mentioned, I'm sure there's some crazy balancing act going on behind the scenes.

IceIX, is speaking with you a confirmation that "the powers that be" have seen my concern? ...or are you the "powers that be?" I'm a little unclear on that. icon_e_smile.gif I know this is the "suggestions and feedback" section, but I am wondering if I should also use the form inside the app to voice my concern? I don't want to repeat the same complaint if you have already "sent it in" or whatever. Because, if there is one thing from my concern that I actually view to be "unfair" to the player (for lack of a better term) and not just a "player preference", it the sliding scale. And I think it should be looked into ASAP, before the masses all have 50+ cover spaces. icon_e_smile.gif
    Shikao wrote:
    I have no problems with cover space and won't have in foreseeable future. How?
    I simply don't buy new covers unless I have enough HP for the pack and new cover space.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to try for some new covers, so many characters that could use more talent points, but a little bit of planning and restrain can go a long way =]
    I appreciate you trying to help with your response, but this isn't simply a case of "oh no, not enough space!" It is important that IceIX and/or the others working on MPQ know that players think this is a major problem.

I understand you have been able to enjoy the game and/or work around the issue. That is great. But I don't think my play style of "wanting to collect all the things" should be met with an ever-increasing pay structure. Especially in a game based on comic books and uses cards, two of the most heavily associated items with collecting. I mean, come on, the characters are called covers, for crying out loud. The game all but tells you to "collect them all!" I understand I may need to use real money to do that. I was prepared for that. I am fine with that in theory, but I will not be using any real money until this is addressed ("fixed").
  • IceIX
    IceIX, is speaking with you a confirmation that "the powers that be" have seen my concern? ...or are you the "powers that be?" I'm a little unclear on that. icon_e_smile.gif I know this is the "suggestions and feedback" section, but I am wondering if I should also use the form inside the app to voice my concern? I don't want to repeat the same complaint if you have already "sent it in" or whatever. Because, if there is one thing from my concern that I actually view to be "unfair" to the player (for lack of a better term) and not just a "player preference", it the sliding scale. And I think it should be looked into ASAP, before the masses all have 50+ cover spaces. icon_e_smile.gif

Every single thread and posting on the forum is read by both the devs and customer support (one of the advantages to not having a forum the size of Blizzard's). Whether we post in a given feedback thread is different, and usually done because there needs to be some clarification before that discussion would go off rails towards places that aren't helpful to anyone. Things like misunderstanding mechanics and such. So yes, the powers that be have seen the thread. We've also seen the threads on ability power selection, 180 degree screen rotation, new boost suggestions, etc. We're listening. icon_e_smile.gif