Ares Sunder bug

Options
Dayv
Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
If Ares does not survive the damage-to-self of triggering his Sunder ability, the countdown tile will still be created. It looks like an order of operations issue -- the countdown creation is triggered after the check to remove any countdown tiles belonging to a downed character.

This unowned countdown tile still goes off in two turns (its countdown is not frozen for a downed character as it is for a stunned one) and damages the opponent when it expires!

Comments

• Can confirm as definite bug. Pretty lame too.
  • I encountered this bug too. I kind of like it though. It's like leaving a nice present for the enemy. At least it didn't revive him! That would be a *** - **** ability, for sure.
  • I encountered this bug too. I kind of like it though. It's like leaving a nice present for the enemy. At least it didn't revive him! That would be a *** - **** ability, for sure.

LOL, we can expect gods act from the grave^WOlympos icon_e_wink.gif

Say the Captain shall actively recover his shield, but sunder may be considered as having a passive rebound of energy that hits and cures -- and ares is needed only for the second part. It might be decided to get just a textual fix.

(As a general comment I so much like that abilities try to follow roleplay, not just a deal X points boring damage who cares really... i.e. Hulk bashes own team -- there the only problem he should bast the whole other team too. Ares could have such a leftover effect for good.)
  • Dayv
    Options
    I think there's room in the game for countdown tiles that stay around after a character's death, or even a passive that causes things to happen when the character dies (lots of interesting things to think about there), but these sort of variations would be mentioned in the text of the power.

From the description of the power, and the way every other countdown tile is currently handled, this is obviously a bug. The only proof I can't easily do is to test what happens when Ares successfully uses Sunder without dying, and is killed before the countdown expires -- if it disappears normally (as I'm sure it will), there is no argument for keeping it around after his death from using the skill.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    From the description of the power, and the way every other countdown tile is currently handled, this is obviously a bug. The only proof I can't easily do is to test what happens when Ares successfully uses Sunder without dying, and is killed before the countdown expires -- if it disappears normally (as I'm sure it will), there is no argument for keeping it around after his death from using the skill.

I saw that yesterday, the counter disappeared as usual.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I love pasa_'s explanation, but we've fixed this for an upcoming update. Thanks for the report.
  • Dayv
    Options
    I love pasa_'s explanation, but we've fixed this for an upcoming update. Thanks for the report.
    Thanks, and I'm loving the increased dev presence on the forum!
  • The bug is still present despite surviving several updates. Any ETA when it gets fixed?
  • Dayv
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    The bug is still present despite surviving several updates. Any ETA when it gets fixed?
    Several updates? Ares has only been in the game for like a week.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    The bug is still present despite surviving several updates. Any ETA when it gets fixed?

Maybe, but we had like 3 updates since. When the game starts counting percent that is an update, right? Or I misunderstood?
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    I can confirm that this is still happening.

I got hit by sunder by Ares and the resulting damage killed him too and yet his countdown timer still persisted and actually caused further damage to my remaining team.

Surely that isn't supposed to happen?
  • Dayv
    Options
    They said it would be fixed in an update, not the very next one. These things take time. Any change they make needs to be tested carefully to make sure they don't introduce new and potentially bigger problems. This isn't even close to a game-breaking bug, other things (like de-overpowering 3* Wolverine) probably take precedence.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:

And we still have it as of yesterday.
  • Dayv
    Options
    These things take time. There are bigger, more pressing bugs to fix first, IMO.
  • i know the last post on this was a month ago but i'm still experiencing this bug. is it still being worked on?
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Still happening. I guess this isn't a priority.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    happened again today. It's frustrating, because he's the obvious star of the Dark Avengers tournament. Every team you play has Ares.