Patch Notes - 12/5 Discussion

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Creating a centralized place to discuss the Patch Notes for today. For disucssions on The Hunt in particular, you're probably best off keeping them here[/list].

Comments

• As the forum's resident motormouth icon_razz.gif I've already posted about this a bunch of times, but here it is for posterity.

Nerfing C. Storm's yellow makes newbies much less competitive, and will discourage them from playing (and paying) further. I'm concerned it will ultimately drive newer players away and decrease the total player population, which is a bad thing for everybody (all players, newbies and vets, and of course, bad for D3P as well).

Very unhappy with the change.

And again, I do not play C. Storm myself at all.

Also, I hate to be "that guy" but I'm guessing separate feedback/reactions to the general methodology of updates/nerfs should go in Suggestions & Feedback, not in new threads in General.
  • Personally, I don't have a problem with the nerf (and I still use her), because her passive power becomes pretty much moot once you get to higher levels. It's also easily avoided when you faced AI opponents.

Also, giving away 5 free red AP for a passive skill was lunacy. There's no other power in the game that comes close to that.

But ... the big downside is that all the new(er) players don't get to enjoy the benefits of her powers that all of us did for the past two months. In a game where competition (for scarce rewards) is so fierce, it further drives a wedge between the haves and have-nots.
  • Details of The Punisher skills please? icon_e_smile.gif

Also max level damage for updated Moonstone's and Storm's skills as well as whole package for The Punisher icon_rolleyes.gif
    Thanks in advance icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I can accept the changes. I think more challenge to figure out new strategies is good fun. I was slowing down on using her due to her poor defense and salivating when I found a high level storm team for easy points - now she will be pretty annoying to fight. That said, when a hero is massively changed (for better or worse) I think that we should be able to respec. Choices made when it worked one way don't always still make sense after the change. For this changed I would seriously consider 5/5/3 rather than 5/4/4 but I'm stuck with a decision I made based on a different set of rules.

Also think this is rough on newer players. C Storm plus default villain was the only way I got enough 3 star villains to start benching her. Will be interesting to see if her improved defense makes up for the loss of significant damage for yellow.
  • IceIX, Looking forward to the punisher. Love to see how that changes the game. With major changes to characters and heroes and how they are changing...a respec option would be fantastic. I know some players spent good money to build their heroes only to have it changed. A little like bait and switch....i like the game and will continue to support but just from a players perspective..i think some feel a bit cheated (I hope that doesn't sound too rough).
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    Not going to promise anything at the moment, but trust me, respeccing is something that has been and is still being heavily discussed over here as well. It's obviously an option people are looking to have available.
  • I used to use C.Storm + throw-away for quick ISO farming in early rounds of a tourney or SHIELD training but this nerf has made that strategy pretty much nullified.

I think this is a good thing

Even though this slows down my ISO farming, it was pretty broken the way it was before. This probably does mean lower-mid lvl players will struggle more when grinding for ISO, though, since I don't think any high lvl player really cared about C.Storm anyway since it was pretty easy to kill.

This makes her defense stronger since higher lvl teams will take guaranteed damage unless they can One-hit KO storm, stun her before she triggers her passive, or do little enough damage with their matches to not trigger the passive.

My only real complaint is the lack of notice of the nerf and the lack of respec options. To change how the character works without letting the players plan for it makes it hard to trust in the game's level-up system. Players need to be concerned that any skill upgrade past lvl 3 is binding. I think balance updates still need to go through but I think there needs to be a system in place for players to update their characters, especially when a balancing does happen.
  • O wow.... Storm got munched. Not sure I Wang to level her now..but glad I had decided on going with 5/5/3 build. Her green is okay (m.storm is actually "good" oddly imo) and her blue can still be a great stun ability. The yellow was always more "eztra" especially after the last Nerf to her. Nobody likes moonstone...still won't.

Kao with all the nerfing...will we expect a rag Nerf soon?

While I don't particularly hate the Nerf , I DO think doing so without a way to disassemble your card into its base cards, even at a fee, is a bit unfair. Would it be that hard to create "dissasemble tokens" that give you back your same color base cards at the cost of, let's say, 100 hp? And whenever these huge patches go in give everyone a free token with a 7 day expiration date? Personally I got lucky with the last 2 buff/nerfs but I could see why others would be pissed having made a 5/5/3 spidey or a 4/4/5 c.storm. not character destroying, but not optimal.

As said by others, and I will reiterate, this affects new players the most and may be detrimental...it also could be good though as many tines I think New players don't read into thing enough. I could imagine them taking a 30 ironman 30 30 modern storm 30 widow into a fight with storm and just getting manhandled by one of equal level because they don't understand her passive. Before the red ap earned was far more "killer" than the damage itself as the Thor its with (one of the strongest but still balanced characters in the game imo...and fun to use. Buff others, don't Nerf him...fyi..) or rag would be able to get off an attack (or 3) just from the counter. On the offensive side, since the machine doesn't pick who it attacks, it was easy to exploit its stupidity, especially in lightning rounds when its built up a big attack. Just swap in your free self healing villain and voila...5-5 ap for your Thor/rag.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Not going to promise anything at the moment, but trust me, respeccing is something that has been and is still being heavily discussed over here as well. It's obviously an option people are looking to have available.

I would suggest that for 3 skill heroes, all points over 3 become available to move to any skill on a one time basis. Same for 2 skill heroes that become 3. 2 skill heroes don't need a respec (unless a skill change is so horrific that you would rather not be at full strength). You would need to distribute all your skills at once and if your final distribution results in a max level lower than current level then the level would be reduced appropriately. Perhaps the way to invoke would be with a respec cover that you use that lives in your cache that expires just as any other cover would . These could be purchased for HP or given to us when a major change is done.
  • Shikao wrote:
    Details of The Punisher skills please? icon_e_smile.gif

Also max level damage for updated Moonstone's and Storm's skills as well as whole package for The Punisher icon_rolleyes.gif
    Thanks in advance icon_e_biggrin.gif

Since R43 you can click on the card in the Event Rewards view to see details. That will at least get you the basic info. Looks pretty decent at first glance.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Since R43 you can click on the card in the Event Rewards view to see details. That will at least get you the basic info. Looks pretty decent at first glance.

Yeah, I know. It was the first thing I did, but I would like to see what he can do at max level of skills and start figuring out possible build
  • One of the better things about this update.
  • greggray24 wrote:
    I can accept the changes. I think more challenge to figure out new strategies is good fun. I was slowing down on using her due to her poor defense and salivating when I found a high level storm team for easy points - now she will be pretty annoying to fight. That said, when a hero is massively changed (for better or worse) I think that we should be able to respec. Choices made when it worked one way don't always still make sense after the change. For this changed I would seriously consider 5/5/3 rather than 5/4/4 but I'm stuck with a decision I made based on a different set of rules.

This.

I trashed all the green covers I won in the recent tourneys as I was going for the 3/5/5 build. (currently at 3/5/4). Now that the yellow is useless I would love to have them back. This isn't fair at all to the players who build their characters a certain way and then have the powers changed on them. Same for Spidey. I would love to max out his purple now but can't. I've dumped a lot of ISO into these characters and now I'm left with one (cStorm) who I will never use again at this point.

This either HAS to stop or you HAVE to allow a respecing mechanism.
  • Regalis wrote:
    This either HAS to stop or you HAVE to allow a respecing mechanism.
    What he said ^